Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So now the team tells the coach

So now the team is making demands on the coach. Now the black players Seem to be saying they run the show Mr white coach and if you don't apologize for your white privilege, we won't perform for you even though we are getting a full ride.
    And I was hoping sports would not be affected by racism.

handling of the nationwide protests quote tweeted by a reporter for The Athleticwho is white, took over at Tallahassee after a four-year stint at Memphis. He inherited the program from Willie Taggart, who coached FSU for two unsuccessful seasons. Taggart is African American.
    My edit (Marvin Wilson is an African American)

Last edited by Sec10-A-14; 06-05-2020, 01:35 PM.

I see this thread ending badly.

Read the article again. Wilson says Novell lied about meeting with the players individually after the tragedy. That's why he's upset. I'd be a little frustrated if my coach lied about something like that too. It shows a lack of leadership on coach's part and would make me question his loyalty to the program. Obviously, it's a he-said-she-said ordeal, so there's no way for someone who wasn't there to prove what happened or didn't happen.

Make it about what you want I suppose, but riling folks up on the general board probably isn't a good idea.

Comment

It is not my intention to raise a fuss. I guess I'm just frustrated about all this going on. Don't think ANY PLAYER should try to call out the coach. The coach has the ultimate decision, responsibility and the players are not their to question for they know not what the coach has in his plan. The coach plans the players execute. If the plan is good and the players execute then its a win. If the players question the plan, they won't execute 100%.... result not good. You just don't wash your dirty laundry in the open. There's always "hey coach got a moment? something's on my mind".

Comment

Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
        It is not my intention to raise a fuss. I guess I'm just frustrated about all this going on. Don't think ANY PLAYER should try to call out the coach. The coach has the ultimate decision, responsibility and the players are not their to question for they know not what the coach has in his plan. The coach plans the players execute. If the plan is good and the players execute then its a win. If the players question the plan, they won't execute 100%.... result not good. You just don't wash your dirty laundry in the open. There's always "hey coach got a moment? something's on my mind".
        In your opening, you talk about apologizing for white privilege and then make a point about highlighting the race of everyone involved, even Taggert who is not involved at all. Stuff like this will nose-dive a thread faster than you'd expect, and it's best to leave it off of this section of the website. There are more constructive ways to handle your frustration, IMO.

Assuming what Wilson said was true, I'd be questioning the commitment of the coach to the program before I evaluated Wilson's actions. Stepping on your team to make yourself look good is not a quality of a good leader. Personally, they'd lose my trust. That being said, I think Wilson could have handled it behind the scenes a little differently before making the issue so public. Meet with the coach, the AD, and try to clarify statements - maybe allow coach a second chance to do what he said he did. If that falls apart, then maybe responding with team action is more appropriate. That's just me though.

Comment

That POV is older than me and that's saying a lot. Players at FSU are potential multi millionaire pros who are on campus only because the NCAA/NFL conglomerate says they have to be. Vast majority are not going to cover for a Coach who lies. No upside for them.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

In your opening, you talk about apologizing for white privilege and then make a point about highlighting the race of everyone involved, even Taggert who is not involved at all. Stuff like this will nose-dive a thread faster than you'd expect, and it's best to leave it off of this section of the website. There are more constructive ways to handle your frustration, IMO.

Assuming what Wilson said was true, I'd be questioning the commitment of the coach to the program before I evaluated Wilson's actions. Stepping on your team to make yourself look good is not a quality of a good leader. Personally, they'd lose my trust. That being said, I think Wilson could have handled it behind the scenes a little differently before making the issue so public. Meet with the coach, the AD, and try to clarify statements - maybe allow coach a second chance to do what he said he did. If that falls apart, then maybe responding with team action is more appropriate. That's just me though.
            Great comment! Remember, Wilson is the student/athlete and most would expect the coaches to be more mature. So while I would've loved for Wilson to not call the coach out in a public forum, he's also dealing with a potential powder keg moment that's playing out across the country. The coach "stepping on the team to make himself look good" may have worked in certain situations in the past, but not with this type of issue, and especially not now. If this scenario is true, Norvell has to take this "L" and move forward. He'll know that he has to think twice before making those broad "hero" statements.

Comment

White coach lies to the media to look good, black player calls him on his lie... and you're mad at the player? Talk about white privilege.

Comment

You know whom else is frustrated about what's going on? Those dealing with the ongoing racism in the country. There's more to life than sports.

Comment

From the Tallahassee Democrat (local paper) yesterday:
                  Standout FSU defensive tackle Marvin Wilson called out his head coach Mike Norvell on Twitter just after midnight Thursday for what he viewed as a disingenuous representation of how Norvell contacted the team about the ongoing racial injustice issues.

A team meeting Thursday morning put the concern to bed and Wilson announced that he, Norvell and the FSU football team were moving forward with a powerful video shared on social media Thursday afternoon. In the video, Wilson discussed the fact that black people have been oppressed in America for over 400 years and that he wants to help bring about the change he wants to see in the world and serve as a example to black children that they can accomplish anything they set their minds to.
                  (from a longer article describing how the FSU administration is letting student voices be heard).

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

There's more to life than sports.
                    You're right, and more and more people are seriously looking at that point. Me and most of the friends I know really hate what happened to George Floyd, believe that Black lives matter as much as any lives matter, and have felt that way for decades. We get it! We understand that corrections are needed in the laws and courts in reference to social justice.

There's a fine line between making a point and alienating supporters and fans to the point that they start walking away. Unfortunately, we may in fact see changes which will effect college football, the NFL, and other sports in the way of waning support, be it attendance, television viewership, commercial revenue, booster support, a lack of support for sports tourniquets (including cities which no longer bid on holding events),etc, etc. Hopefully positive changes will come for the better, but in doing so, some sports may feel the negative effects of the pushing the envelope just a tad bit far. I've loved football and other sports all of my life, but it's clear that we are getting to the point where football as we knew it will forever change. So you're right, there's more to life than sports.

Comment

So now the team is making demands on the coach. Now the black players Seem to be saying they run the show Mr white coach and if you don't apologize for your white privilege, we won't perform for you even though we are getting a full ride.
                      And I was hoping sports would not be affected by racism.

handling of the nationwide protests quote tweeted by a reporter for The Athleticwho is white, took over at Tallahassee after a four-year stint at Memphis. He inherited the program from Willie Taggart, who coached FSU for two unsuccessful seasons. Taggart is African American.
                      My edit (Marvin Wilson is an African American)
                      lol, what? You think sports, particularly college football, which is primarily driven by lower-income black players who are being exploited for their athletic ability, would not be affected by racism? You watch these kids get in to a 21st century-type gladiator fight every week for your entertainment, and you think there's no race issues involved?
                      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

You're right, and more and more people are seriously looking at that point. Me and most of the friends I know really hate what happened to George Floyd, believe that Black lives matter as much as any lives matter, and have felt that way for decades. We get it! We understand that corrections are needed in the laws and courts in reference to social justice.

There's a fine line between making a point and alienating supporters and fans to the point that they start walking away. Unfortunately, we may in fact see changes which will effect college football, the NFL, and other sports in the way of waning support, be it attendance, television viewership, commercial revenue, booster support, a lack of support for sports tourniquets (including cities which no longer bid on holding events),etc, etc. Hopefully positive changes will come for the better, but in doing so, some sports may feel the negative effects of the pushing the envelope just a tad bit far. I've loved football and other sports all of my life, but it's clear that we are getting to the point where football as we knew it will forever change. So you're right, there's more to life than sports.
                        Okay perfect, alienate all the racists that want athletes to shutup and play without worrying about the racial inequality in the country. Everything will survive without those people. Remember when Nike was going to go bankrupt due to supporting certain individuals? Yeah, they're doing just fine. While these times are tough, much more so for some, they do bring the closet racists out into the light which is fantastic news for those who want to distance themselves from those individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

Just to be clear - you think so much of the percentage of people who consume football are white racist extremists to the point where they would no longer consume if "changes" occur that might benefit the athletes who participate?
                          2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

The best teams have coaches who understand their players and visa versa. A team doesn't elevate its capabilities by one side conforming to the other but by all sides making each other better.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Just to be clear - you think so much of the percentage of people who consume football are white racist extremists to the point where they would no longer consume if "changes" occur that might benefit the athletes who participate?
                              It's a rationalization to protect the status quo. I see it all the time. A lot of folks said that Kaepernick kneeling was going to "kill the NFL." It caused a lot of fake outrage thanks to hysteria from Fox News, but the NFL is still here some 3-4 years later as strong as ever.

Sad thing is, most of them didn't say a word when Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, and Aaron Hernandez were running amuck of common decency (and the law) - yet they have a problem with players peacefully standing up for themselves?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X