Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Informal and not so scientific poll

After the protests and riots last week it is now perceived as acceptable to kneel during the National Anthem. If kneeling occurs not only at the professional level, but all collegiate levels, how long would you as a fan tolerate this practice? I for one think it is symbolism over substance. The kneeling was not the catalyst that drove the change. Changes are occurring so how long would you as a fan tolerate kneeling while the National Anthem is played?

This seems like a thread for the off-topic board.

Comment

That all depends on if you view the kneeling as a sign of disrespect for the anthem/flag, or an emphasis that the action of kneeling is meant to not take part in honoring while not being disrespectful. Given that Kaepernick's action evolved out of a discussion with a Marine on how to not be disrespectful while not being able to take part normally (at least standing at attention), I don't have any problem with him doing that - precisely because I understand it is not meant as a sign of disrepect.

Comment

As a veteran, I will never accept showing dis-respect to the Flag that represents the sacrifice of so many who gave all to protect those who hate. Don't get me started

Comment

Comment

Change is ok, if done democratically.
            Can you imagine what would have happened if during WW2 someone would step on the American flag?

Comment

absolutely 100% OK with it any and every time they feel it necessary. Furthermore I couldn't give a crap less if they just stopped playing the anthem all together before sports. Its a weird tradition that doesn't need to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
                Change is ok, if done democratically.
                Can you imagine what would have happened if during WW2 someone would step on the American flag?
                Ah ok, so like the way the country was "democratically" founded you mean? Lol, the hypocrisy is both hilarious and sad.

Comment

If you're paying attention to what other people are doing during the National Anthem, maybe you're not giving the flag the respect you claim it deserves?

Comment

It may be unpopular but I thought the military fights to uphold our freedoms, including freedom of speech/expression. It's one of the most honorable aspects of our military in that they risk their lives so individuals may express viewpoints that are the polar opposite of some of those in the military. Hell, burning the flag is constitutionally protected. Doesn't mean I agree with it but if you are in the armed forces you should understand that you are protecting an individuals right to do so if they choose. Once the ability to express differing viewpoints is gone, there is no democracy any longer.

I agree with it wholeheartedly and any other legal form of freedom of expression, even those viewpoints I don't agree with.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
                      It may be unpopular but I thought the military fights to uphold our freedoms, including freedom of speech/expression. It's one of the most honorable aspects of our military in that they risk their lives so individuals may express viewpoints that are the polar opposite of some of those in the military. Hell, burning the flag is constitutionally protected. Doesn't mean I agree with it but if you are in the armed forces you should understand that you are protecting an individuals right to do so if they choose. Once the ability to express differing viewpoints is gone, there is no democracy any longer.

I agree with it wholeheartedly and any other legal form of freedom of expression, even those viewpoints I don't agree with.
                      A lot of people forget this - but Kaepernick began his protest by quietly sitting during the National Anthem. It wasn't until Nate Boyer - a former Seahawks longsnapper and military veteran wrote him a letter asking if he'd kneel at attention. They talked, and Kaepernick agreed.

It's conveniently forgotten about by roughly 50% of the public (funny how that works, innit?). Even still, the NFL still keeps counting their money. It's almost like they don't care what Billy Bob Two-Teeth in Ratsnest, Arkansas has to say about them.

Comment

It would something to see if everyone in the stadium kneeled on both knees and then said a prayer after the anthem.

Comment

Originally posted by Opinionated View Post
                          After the protests and riots last week it is now perceived as acceptable to kneel during the National Anthem. If kneeling occurs not only at the professional level, but all collegiate levels, how long would you as a fan tolerate this practice? I for one think it is symbolism over substance. The kneeling was not the catalyst that drove the change. Changes are occurring so how long would you as a fan tolerate kneeling while the National Anthem is played?
                          Its not meant to irate or disrespect the Flag Haven't you been listening or seeing why? Believe me I served 26 yrs in the military and I also have family who were both black n white. I know they fought for our Freedom which includes EQUALITY. So a fan would stand or not doesn't take anything away from the Flag. Its your heart that feels the Respect of the Flag. Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Ballin51 View Post

Its not meant to irate or disrespect the Flag Haven't you been listening or seeing why? Believe me I served 26 yrs in the military and I also have family who were both black n white. I know they fought for our Freedom which includes EQUALITY. So a fan would stand or not doesn't take anything away from the Flag. Its your heart that feels the Respect of the Flag. Just saying.
                            My understanding is he takes a knee to respect the hardworking folks who hold this country up in good faith (especially the military), while protesting those that don't.

Sad to see we've become so soft as a society that something like this sets us off, but I can't say I'm surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
                              It would something to see if everyone in the stadium kneeled on both knees and then said a prayer after the anthem.
                              Most pray during the game, and especially towards the end of it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X