Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Most pray during the game, and especially towards the end of it.
    I never have seen fans in the stands or players kneel on both knees to pray, Fans may pray, but only when their team is losing. I think kneeling on both knees during the anthem and for a prayer would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
      I never have seen fans in the stands or players kneel on both knees to pray, Fans may pray, but only when their team is losing. I think kneeling on both knees during the anthem and for a prayer would be great.
      It would be interesting. I was just making a joke.

Comment

The flag, anthem and the nation have a certain meaning to vets that transends it being just a piece of colored cloth, catchy toon or group of properties. It represents the country they fought to defend and the country that many of their friends died for. Anyone that disrespects them for a purely political stunt is disrespecting them and the country. Doesn't matter if people think that it is suddenly OK to use that disrespect as a tool to further a goal, it is still disrespectful to the veterans who faught and died to give the protestor the freedom to protest.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
          The flag, anthem and the nation have a certain meaning to vets that transends it being just a piece of colored cloth, catchy toon or group of properties. It represents the country they fought to defend and the country that many of their friends died for. Anyone that disrespects them for a purely political stunt is disrespecting them and the country. Doesn't matter if people think that it is suddenly OK to use that disrespect as a tool to further a goal, it is still disrespectful to the veterans who faught and died to give the protestor the freedom to protest.
          Do all veterans feel the same way though? It's an honest question since I'm not one.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Do all veterans feel the same way though? It's an honest question since I'm not one.
            Probably not, but the vast majority do.

Comment

Probably not, but the vast majority do.
              I guess I figured as much. I've heard a few differing opinions from the vets that I know, which is why I asked.

Comment

I'm really interested in the dropping to both knees theory.

Say a group of players in the NFL dropped to both knees to pray during the national anthem. Hands together, eyes closed all of it. Clearly praying on both knees.

This is happening in different stadiums at the same time.

So they are taking 2 knees instead of 1 but they are taking a knee.

Right after the game, reporters ask the players who are most for the one knee kneeling what they thought of the players that took 2 knees that were praying.

If they say they are against that and think that is wrong then they are going on record saying that you can't pray or use that time to support your religious beliefs which would draw major scrutiny.

If they say that is their choice and that is their right to do that and pray to their god then they are saying they see how you can honor something you believe in while not going against their message. So if you can do that then why can't you stand for the flag because that is the same thing.

My personal belief is that you should have the right to kneel and you should have the right to stand. It's not a blue or red issue to me but just that of someone who believes in choice and freedom.

If I'm someone who believes in kneeling I believe in the right to stand and if I'm someone that believes in standing I support the right to kneel.

I'm just curious how the both knees while praying situation would work out.
                * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
                * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
                * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
                * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

Originally posted by West Florida View Post

My personal belief is that you should have the right to kneel and you should have the right to stand. It's not a blue or red issue to me but just that of someone who believes in choice and freedom.
                  That's how I feel too.

In some ways, not standing for the flag is just as American as standing for it. We have the freedom to choose how we want to participate - a luxury not afforded to a lot of people in the world. In a roundabout way, that's why I choose to stand for the National Anthem. This country offers me the freedom to choose, and out of respect for that choice, I choose to stand - if that makes any sense.

That being said, the flag is a symbol and it means different things to different people. I don't like tearing down someone's interpretation if it doesn't align with mine. We all have different life experiences that mean different things to us. Life would be pretty boring if we all thought the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Ah ok, so like the way the country was "democratically" founded you mean? Lol, the hypocrisy is both hilarious and sad.
                    What hilarious is to go to protest march with a sign that reads "white lives ALSO matter" and see if you don't get sheet beat out of you.

Comment

Well said, Thank You

Comment

Let me start by saying I've been around for a long time.
                        To me this all started when in the 1968 Mexico City Olympics two black US athletes raised the "Black Power Fist" during
                        the US Nat'l anthem. Then when attending sporting events in the following years, I started seeing more black kids sitting laughing, joking around & mother...effing. Disrespectful yes. Say anything and you'd have 5, 6 or more start mothering you if not threatening. To me this is pure disrespect for what the flag represents. Even going back to the many (600,000+) that died to free those oppressed during the US Civil War. The US flag does not represent Trump or Obama but to me its more about those that had their lives cut short because they believed in the ideals of this country. Yes, we're not perfect but by being disrespectful is not the answer. Rather let's have an honest dialog.
                        Years ago I attended a 3day seminar on the "i'm okay, you're okay" theory. Mainly its about calming volatile situations between 2 opposing ideals. The point being stop the shouting and start listening.

Comment

Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post

What hilarious is to go to protest march with a sign that reads "white lives ALSO matter" and see if you don't get sheet beat out of you.
                          Good lord.

Comment

Originally posted by Opinionated View Post
                            After the protests and riots last week it is now perceived as acceptable to kneel during the National Anthem. If kneeling occurs not only at the professional level, but all collegiate levels, how long would you as a fan tolerate this practice? I for one think it is symbolism over substance. The kneeling was not the catalyst that drove the change. Changes are occurring so how long would you as a fan tolerate kneeling while the National Anthem is played?
                            I have no problem with kneeling during the anthem at any event. It's peaceful, simple, and requires no props, signs, or physical interaction. For those who disagree with this form of protest, I have no problem with them as well. It wouldn't be a protest if everyone agreed. As for "symbolism over substance" discussions, that's probably best for a different type of forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
                              Let me start by saying I've been around for a long time.
                              To me this all started when in the 1968 Mexico City Olympics two black US athletes raised the "Black Power Fist" during
                              the US Nat'l anthem. Then when attending sporting events in the following years, I started seeing more black kids sitting laughing, joking around & mother...effing. Disrespectful yes. Say anything and you'd have 5, 6 or more start mothering you if not threatening. To me this is pure disrespect for what the flag represents. Even going back to the many (600,000+) that died to free those oppressed during the US Civil War. The US flag does not represent Trump or Obama but to me its more about those that had their lives cut short because they believed in the ideals of this country. Yes, we're not perfect but by being disrespectful is not the answer. Rather let's have an honest dialog.
                              Years ago I attended a 3day seminar on the "i'm okay, you're okay" theory. Mainly its about calming volatile situations between 2 opposing ideals. The point being stop the shouting and start listening.
                              Sorry but I've seen people of all races not stand for the flag or national anthem. The fact that you only want to call out black kids speaks to the bigger problems in our country.

Second, I agree about listening and having an open dialogue. I don't need the dialogue but I will leave you with this to think about (and hopefully listen to, even if internally)- YOUR experience in this country and YOUR interpretation of what the flag stands for is NOT the same experience and interpretation of others. When you finally listen to that, you might understand the perspectives of others.

Many have been having that dialogue for decades yet we have made little to no change in many of those areas. That's why you see what is happening across our country today.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

Sorry but I've seen people of all races not stand for the flag or national anthem. The fact that you only want to call out black kids speaks to the bigger problems in our country.

Second, I agree about listening and having an open dialogue. I don't need the dialogue but I will leave you with this to think about (and hopefully listen to, even if internally)- YOUR experience in this country and YOUR interpretation of what the flag stands for is NOT the same experience and interpretation of others. When you finally listen to that, you might understand the perspectives of others.

Many have been having that dialogue for decades yet we have made little to no change in many of those areas. That's why you see what is happening across our country today.
                                There's a whole lotta white folk very attached to yelling "home of the Chiefs" during the National Anthem at Arrowhead Stadium, if we want to go there (and plenty at every stadium that are wandering around or talking to their neighbor or stumbling in from the parking lot or whatever).

To build on your second point: those who love and revere the flag might find asking "what needs to change for others to feel the same way I do?" is more productive than simply complaining about those who kneel.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X