Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
    As a veteran, I will never accept showing dis-respect to the Flag that represents the sacrifice of so many who gave all to protect those who hate. Don't get me started
    I wrote out a massive wall of text saying why this is problematic, but I'll just summarize it instead: Some of our most courageous, valiant, and skilled soldiers came from communities that were actively dehumanized when they volunteered. Ask yourself why they fought and whether it had anything to do with the flag.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mk63NuclearBomb View Post

I wrote out a massive wall of text saying why this is problematic, but I'll just summarize it instead: Some of our most courageous, valiant, and skilled soldiers came from communities that were actively dehumanized when they volunteered. Ask yourself why they fought and whether it had anything to do with the flag.
        Soldiers fought for each other. Don't forget most went to war because they were drafted into the American Revolutionary War, the American Civil War, World War 1, World War II, and the Cold War(including both the Korean War and the Vietnam War.

Comment

Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
          As a veteran, I will never accept showing dis-respect to the Flag that represents the sacrifice of so many who gave all to protect those who hate. Don't get me started
          As a career Army officer, and disabled veteran, I completely approve of kneeling, heck even burn that flag. The oath I swore was to support and defend the constitution of the United States of America...a major part of that document are the Bill of Rights, and the freedom of speech/expression. As such, the right to protest, kneel, and even burn the flag are something I will support. I love my country, and have certainly suffered to serve it. But the symbol of my country has to be more than a flag...it should be the values of equality, life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. Our country has frequently failed in meeting those values for all its residents, and continues to fall short...but those values, and the right to protest when they are not being met is more important than a piece of cloth.
          Roar Lions, Charge On Chargers, Roll Tide Roll!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
            I recall in 1968 someone was arrested for wearing a flag patch. Soon all the hippies and war protestors were wearing flags or making clothing out of flags. It wasn't long after that it became a fad and mainstream culture had small flags sewn on the back of their jackets. It could be that kneeling for the anthem will deteriorate into part of mainstream culture and lose the power of a protest. Sitting or laying down during the anthem would be more in line of a protest position.

Besides, kneeling seems more respectful than standing. Most people don't take a knee for a human, unless it's to propose marriage. Standing to shake hands with someone entering a room for an interview or a president coming to a podium is normal, but not taking a knee.
            I found it unusual when they had to alter the US Flag Code, thus having the flag worn on US military uniforms, but also in muted camo on different forms of battle dress. Even more confusing to many is the reversed form of the US flag, when worn on the right shoulder...this is done so the field of stars is always forward, and the stripe stream to the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

If I'm at home, I don't stand for the National Anthem, and I don't know ANYONE who does when they're at home. Those who choose to kneel know why they are kneeling, and they decide whether it is symbolic or substantial.
              I grew up on Army posts. At the post theater, before any movie, the National Anthem was played and the flag, either on the wall or the screen was displayed...we learned to stand and place our hands over our hearts...when we were at home, and the anthem was played as the TV shut down for the day, we stood at our house. Every day on an Army post, at the time the post commander has designated as the "end of the duty" retreat is sounded, a cannon is fired and the flag is lowered. The sound of the retreat bugle call is heard all over post. Wherever you are, whatever you are doing, unless it is mission essential, you stop, face the direction of the flag post, and place your hand over your heart or salute as is appropriate. On some bases they change the traffic signals to stop traffic and everyone exits their vehicle for this.I have the greatest respect for the flag. My grandfather, my father, my father-in-law and one day I will be laid to rest under that flag...in fact the men of my paternal family line have serve in every generation since and including the revolution. Let's not forget, the US Revolutionary War was a riot and protest against the government, as was the War of Texas Independence... armed protesters shooting the government troops.

As for myself, I will continue to stand and salute the flag which represents the country I served...but I don't expect anyone else to join me.

Comment

Suuurrreee...And there are people that say the civil war was never about slavery!

Kapernick chose to use the flag and the anthem for a reason. Weather people chose to believe it or not,, that makes it about the flag and what it stands for.

Comment

Originally posted by UNA_Texan View Post
                  I found it unusual when they had to alter the US Flag Code, thus having the flag worn on US military uniforms, but also in muted camo on different forms of battle dress. Even more confusing to many is the reversed form of the US flag, when worn on the right shoulder...this is done so the field of stars is always forward, and the stripe stream to the rear.
                  I used to follow USA Baseball pretty closely, and they use the reversed flag on their uniforms. I've seen it so much in that context it's become normal to me now.

They've stated they use the reverse image because it simulates a waving flag when the players take the field. Is that the same reason why the military uses the reverse image, or is there another reason?

EDIT: Obviously not "taking the field," I just mean it simulates the "waving flag."

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I used to follow USA Baseball pretty closely, and they use the reversed flag on their uniforms. I've seen it so much in that context it's become normal to me now.

They've stated they use the reverse image because it simulates a waving flag when the players take the field. Is that the same reason why the military uses the reverse image, or is there another reason?

EDIT: Obviously not "taking the field," I just mean it simulates the "waving flag."
                    The field of stars against the flag pole is the position of honor. The argument was that it was like the flag on the bumper of staff cars, one side is always reversed, because the stripes are supposed to stream to the rear.

Comment

The field of stars against the flag pole is the position of honor. The argument was that it was like the flag on the bumper of staff cars, one side is always reversed, because the stripes are supposed to stream to the rear.
                      Interesting, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Suuurrreee...And there are people that say the civil war was never about slavery!

Kapernick chose to use the flag and the anthem for a reason. Weather people chose to believe it or not,, that makes it about the flag and what it stands for.

Comment

As for myself, I will continue to stand and salute the flag which represents the country I served...but I don't expect anyone else to join me.
                          I've now heard talk about not playing the National Anthem at some sporting events.

I can't say I'm in agreement, but it would put more focus on the actual games being played.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Weather people chose to believe it or not,, that makes it about the flag and what it stands for.
                            Careful there, the D2 Grammar Police have an eye on you;)

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

Careful there, the D2 Grammar Police have an eye on you;)
                              That's why I did that!!

Comment

So you admit that the flag was the point. Kapernick chose it for a reason which was insulting to most veterans. But in his personal opinion HIS cause was of greater importance that the insult that millions of Americans, black, white, hispanic, and every other color felt about his choice of protest vehicles.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X