Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

You do realize that there was a time when blacks and whites were segregated at the same event. When I people say XYZ should be free of politics, it's usually because people want to avoid the issue. You're right, it's not comfortable to mix sports with politics. But that's the point.
    Yes, when I started kindergarten was when the integration started. I went to Jr High at what was formally the black school. It doesn't make me personally uncomfortable. I would never stand by and watch anyone be mistreated. Its not in my DNA. All that being said, most are not wired like myself, There will be push back because its human nature. Sports will lessen in popularity if they are seen as a tool for politics.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

"Think of the kids" always makes my skin crawl, but if the children are of a legitimate concern - think of the kids who see Collin Kaepernick fighting for change who start to make strides in their own life. Think of the kids who have been touched by racism or violence who see something positive in what's going on. Think of the kids who need this.

If Billy doesn't get the newest set of baseballs for his summer league, I think he's going to be just fine. Back when I was a kid, we didn't have corporate sponsors. The city hosted the league, locals volunteered their time, and we brought our own equipment - whatever we had, and we did just fine.
        I guess you missed my point entirely, Yes, the youth will not be afforded the same opportunities at the local level as those before them, but it goes deeper than that, It erases a venue where folks can come together relax cheer have fun and leave the world problems behind at least for a couple of hours. Remember I am talking small town America where most know each other on first name basis. Just food for thought. Personally, I do not believe bringing politics and an agenda into the arena of sports will do much good. Any positive gains will most certainly have negative backlash.

And, as far as Kap is concerned he should run for office and work as politician to try to institute change, I believe that is why we have elected officials. I am always in favor of anyone trying to better the situation of all Americans, He has a following and I am sure he could get elected.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

There's this idea that sports has become political all of a sudden. It's really been political all along, or at the very least has always been influenced by outside issues. The two have never been mutually exclusive. The 1980 hockey team would have just been another "big upset" if it weren't for the political angle. We wouldn't know who Jackie Robinson was if politics weren't involved, etc etc.

I'm not saying you didn't know that, I'm just stating it in general.
          People here should read up on Johnny Bright and Drake football if they think sports has never had political undercurrents.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

I guess you missed my point entirely, Yes, the youth will not be afforded the same opportunities at the local level as those before them, but it goes deeper than that, It erases a venue where folks can come together relax cheer have fun and leave the world problems behind at least for a couple of hours. Remember I am talking small town America where most know each other on first name basis. Just food for thought. Personally, I do not believe bringing politics and an agenda into the arena of sports will do much good. Any positive gains will most certainly have negative backlash.

And, as far as Kap is concerned he should run for office and work as politician to try to institute change, I believe that is why we have elected officials. I am always in favor of anyone trying to better the situation of all Americans, He has a following and I am sure he could get elected.

I understood your post, but my point is the "think of the kids" argument works both ways in this situation. Personally, I'm not worried about rural sports opportunities. The NFL is so far removed from small town America that I don't think ruralites have much to worry about.

Not every initiator of social change did so from a political office. Jackie Robinson did so on the baseball diamond, for example. As I understand it, Kap does a lot of work that doesn't get readily broadcasted throughout the media. It's not as lucrative as dividing people over his protest. Regardless whether or not someone agrees with him - he got an entire country to talk about his position years after he stopped technically being relevant, and that's pretty impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

People here should read up on Johnny Bright and Drake football if they think sports has never had political undercurrents.
              Wow, I didn't know any of that. That's pretty heartbreaking and disgusting.

Another one that comes to mind is the 1962 Ole Miss football team.

https://archive.thinkprogress.org/gh...-d0bca387ed81/

Comment

Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
                As this is a chat board, my opinion. Kaperneck is a scum bag and should be banned from the NFL for life. The us Flag to me stands for those who died in military service to this country. If you don't like the USA.... Bye bye, you are free to leave. It is out of respect for these people, black, white, green, Asian or wherever they came from is not important. What's important is that they were there to face death (and many gave). They wrote a blank check to death with their name signed. Some were cashed in many were not. To me anyone who takes a knee dishonors that pledge. If you don't like it, bring back the dead or get the hell out.
                Just my opinion.
                Go ahead fire away.
                I don't care and you'll never change my mind
                Roar Lions, Charge On Chargers, Roll Tide Roll!!!!!

Comment

Comment

I guess I don't understand why being against racism is even considered as being political? This is extremely telling...yikes.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I understood your post, but my point is the "think of the kids" argument works both ways in this situation. Personally, I'm not worried about rural sports opportunities. The NFL is so far removed from small town America that I don't think ruralites have much to worry about.

Not every initiator of social change did so from a political office. Jackie Robinson did so on the baseball diamond, for example. As I understand it, Kap does a lot of work that doesn't get readily broadcasted throughout the media. It's not as lucrative as dividing people over his protest. Regardless whether or not someone agrees with him - he got an entire country to talk about his position years after he stopped technically being relevant, and that's pretty impressive.
                      No no, everyone is allowed to protest but only in the way that Republican white folk see fitting, don't you understand?

If bringing equality to sports means all the racists can no longer enjoy sports then I vote we get started on it today. The NFL and any other company whom takes a stand against racism is going to be just fine. Good will overcome evil, intelligence will overcome stupidity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

I guess I don't understand why being against racism is even considered as being political? This is extremely telling...yikes.

Comment

• I thought this was being moved to Off-Topic?

Comment

• I'm as patriotic as they come, but honestly, why do they play the national anthem before sporting events? I can maybe understand the Olympic Games, but it just makes it less special when it's played before every sporting event. Save it for really important events that honor our country and patriotic holidays and then it will become special again.

Comment

• I'm not sure if you drank a bit too much before this post but my question was simply why racism is even seen as political. It had nothing to even do with you personally and I couldn't possibly care less about your life experiences. I perceive America the way it should be perceived, a country that prides itself on freedom yet only for a certain set of individuals. We have yet to achieve equality in this country and I am simply willing to admit such a thing and hope that one day this inequality can be a thing of the past. However, while there are people whom refuse to see that racism is still a problem the harder it will be to make progress.

Oh no, you'd say it to my face? What shall I ever do? Clown.

Comment

• Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

I'm not sure if you drank a bit too much before this post but my question was simply why racism is even seen as political. It had nothing to even do with you personally and I couldn't possibly care less about your life experiences. I perceive America the way it should be perceived, a country that prides itself on freedom yet only for a certain set of individuals. We have yet to achieve equality in this country and I am simply willing to admit such a thing and hope that one day this inequality can be a thing of the past. However, while there are people whom refuse to see that racism is still a problem the harder it will be to make progress.

Oh no, you'd say it to my face? What shall I ever do? Clown.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X