Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Day 2020

Moving Day is here. Take a look back at Moving Day 2019.

The 2019-2020 season can't be left behind without one more cheer to the Class of 2020. Thank you for your dedication and the excitement you gave us. It's disappointing that many of you had your college career cut short and were not given a proper send off, hopefully we can celebrate your accomplishments in person soon.

Now for 2020-2021.

Limestone College becomes Limestone University (see video below) and moves from the CC to the SAC, their Men's Volleyball likely becomes an Independent.

Alderson Broaddus leaves the GMAC to join the MEC, their Men's Lacrosse most likely stays in the GMAC as an affiliate and Men's Volleyball remains Independent.

College of Staten Island begins playing a D2 schedule in the ECC, their Men's and Women's Swimming & Diving is a member of the Metropolitan Swimming Conference.

North Carolina-Pembroke Football begins its affiliation with the MEC. Davenport Men's Lacrosse and Wrestling join the GLVC as an affiliate. Lander Wrestling affiliates with the CC under the CC/SAC Field Hockey-Wrestling Partnership. All teams were previously Independents.

Alabama-Huntsville, Lander, Montevallo, and Young Harris College Men's Lacrosse leave the GLVC to join Shorter in a new conference championship sport for either the GSC or the PBC. Full details are not yet known.

The SIAC adds Men's Volleyball as a championship sport, a gift of $1M was shared with six members to start the program. Benedict College, Central State, Fort Valley State, Kentucky State, Morehouse College, and Paine College are the schools adding the sport.

Of the known announced sport sponsorship changes to date, a combined 27 schools are adding 38 teams that will play their first season in 2020-2021 and a combined 14 schools have dropped 28 teams that have played their last game. Included among the dropped teams is 10 schools announcing after the NCAA shutdown on March 12 that they will drop 21 teams; although some may not be a direct result of CV19. The final numbers a year ago were 36 schools added 56 teams and 17 schools dropped 28 teams.

In Memoriam. Sadly, three schools have or will close. Concordia-Portland Cavaliers (2015-2020) was a GNAC member. Notre Dame de Namur Argonauts (2005-2020) has not yet officially closed and was a PWC member. Urbana Blue Knights (2012-2020) was a GMAC member for one year before joining the MEC.

Five schools are leaving for D1 or NAIA. Bellarmine moves to the D1 Atlantic Sun Conference. California-San Diego moves to the D1 Big West Conference. Dixie State and Tarleton State will now be mates in the D1 Western Athletic Conference. Oakland City moves to the NAIA River States Conference.

The DII Membership Committee meets on July 8-9. The 2020 applicants are Allen University in Columbia, SC (SIAC?) and D'Youville College in Buffalo, NY (ECC).

---------------------------

Several moves have already been announced for 2021 highlighted by a big change at Converse College. Converse College will become a co-ed Converse University. They will add seven men's teams for 2021-2022; Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Tennis, Track & Field Indoor, Track & Field Outdoor, and Volleyball. My question for Converse is; will they keep or change their nickname for all teams or will they keep the Valkyries nickname for the women's teams and have a separate nickname for the men's teams.
    Last edited by Tech Boys; 07-01-2020, 10:06 PM.

Notable new logos.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SFU_Athletics_Logo.png
Views:	1197
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	517277
    Simon Fraser *

(* Revealed prior to the start of 2019-2020 but too late for inclusion in any of last year's special articles.)

Comment

Notable new logos (Part 2)
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Truman_State.png
Views:	1187
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	517279
      Truman State

Comment

D'Youville College is also making a change; the Spartans are now the Saints.

Comment

Limestone University

Comment

UC-San Diego to Big West Conference (leaving Division 2 CCAA)
            3) Dixie State to Western Athletic Conference (leaving Division 2 RMAC) - FCS football becomes Independent
            4) Tarleton State to Western Athletic Conference (leaving Division 2 LSC) - FCS football becomes Independent
            5) UM-Kansas City to Summit League (leaving WAC)
            6) Purdue-Ft Wayne to Horizon League (leaving Summit League)
            7) Robert Morris to Horizon League (leaving NEC) - FCS football joins Big South effective July 1, 2021
            8) Bellarmine to Atlantic Sun Conference (leaving Division 2 GLVC)
            9) NJIT to America East Conference (leaving Atlantic Sun)
            10) UConn to the Big East (leaving AAC) - FBS football becomes Independent

Comment

[QUOTE=Tech Boys;n517275]Moving Day is here. /QUOTE]

Outstanding- very informative post!

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
                My question for Converse is; will they keep or change their nickname for all teams or will they keep the Valkyries nickname for the women's teams and have a separate nickname for the men's teams.
                I believe that they used to be called the All-Stars until 2007. Could they go back to that?

https://www.converse.edu/converse-an...hletic-mascot/

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

I believe that they used to be called the All-Stars until 2007. Could they go back to that?

https://www.converse.edu/converse-an...hletic-mascot/
                  I was thinking Valkyries and Vikings to keep the norse mythological thing going

Comment

Originally posted by Mk63NuclearBomb View Post

That would work except that there aren't a lot of schools with separate nicknames. Western Illinois used to have the Leathernecks and the Westerwinds. I remember seeing a gal with one of those jackets in the Mall of America. Asked her about it- she was on the softball team. They finally cut back to one.

Comment

Odd that this story didn't come out yesterday. D3 Louisiana College applies for NAIA.

https://www.lacollege.edu/news/louis...aia-admission/

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                        That would work except that there aren't a lot of schools with separate nicknames. Western Illinois used to have the Leathernecks and the Westerwinds. I remember seeing a gal with one of those jackets in the Mall of America. Asked her about it- she was on the softball team. They finally cut back to one.
                        I like the Valkyries and Vikings idea also; any nickname change would require a logo change. In D2, eight schools have a nickname & lady nickname. Only five schools have at least a somewhat separate nickname: New Mexico Highlands Cowboys & Cowgirls, Central Missouri Mules & Jennies, Arkansas-Monticello Boll Weevils & Cotton Blossoms, Arkansas Tech Wonder Boys & Golden Suns, Angelo State Rams & Rambelles.

Comment

Originally posted by Mk63NuclearBomb View Post

Valkyries are Norse mythology. Vikings were real people.

I like All-Stars.

Comment

I like the Valkyries and Vikings idea also; any nickname change would require a logo change. In D2, eight schools have a nickname & lady nickname. Only five schools have at least a somewhat separate nickname: New Mexico Highlands Cowboys & Cowgirls, Central Missouri Mules & Jennies, Arkansas-Monticello Boll Weevils & Cotton Blossoms, Arkansas Tech Wonder Boys & Golden Suns, Angelo State Rams & Rambelles.
                            And, Eastern New Mexico women's teams were known as the Zias through the end of Spring 2015.

Comment

And, Eastern New Mexico women's teams were known as the Zias through the end of Spring 2015.
                              Interesting article about that name change.

https://www.easternnewmexiconews.com...nge/35853.html

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X