Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Chiefs, Padres, Saints, 49ers, Patriots, Cowboys, Steelers, Vikings or Buccaneers be next?

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
      Will Chiefs, Padres, Saints, 49ers, Patriots, Cowboys, Steelers, Vikings or Buccaneers be next?
      Braves & Blackhawks have already announced that they won't be changing.

I remember when PETA was trying to get the Packers to change their name.

Comment

None of them involve racial slurs, so probably not.

How is this so hard for folks to understand?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
          Funny thing is, from what I understand, the vast majority of fans in that area were not offended at all by the t-shirt, and I've been told they're still selling like crazy.
          Him wearing it on national tv ended up promoting the t-shirts and really boosted sales. It wouldn't surprise me to see copycat t-shirts showing up in K.C, Atlanta, FSU, and other locations where a few people want to change things that the vast majority do not want changed.

I guess those who were slightly offended were the ones who are always looking for things they could embrace as being offended by.
          Which area? Cleveland? Or the ESPN studio?

The shirt was not an original idea - things like this have been made for years. This one just happened to be broadcast to a national audience. It did offend quite a few folks who found it racially insensitive, which is why Jones wore the shirt on air (if you watch the original clip, he explains it).

I'm sure the shirts sold well after the fact. I even considered buying one. I loved the purpose of the shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Which area? Cleveland? Or the ESPN studio?

The shirt was not an original idea - things like this have been made for years. This one just happened to be broadcast to a national audience. It did offend quite a few folks who found it racially insensitive, which is why Jones wore the shirt on air (if you watch the original clip, he explains it).

I'm sure the shirts sold well after the fact. I even considered buying one. I loved the purpose of the shirt.
            Who exactly would find the t-shirts insensitive?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

Who exactly would find the t-shirts insensitive?
              People who don't understand why the old name of the Washington Professional Football Organization is a problem, for starters. ESPN anticipated pushback, so they asked him to cover it up.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...407-story.html

Comment

LOL, the vast majority of people in the USA would not find the t-shirt offensive at all. As a matter of fact, a lot of people wouldn't really care if Cleveland's Baseball, Football and Basketball teams took that on as their mascot. But then again, there's a very few who look for anything at all to be offended by. Thus the tail starts trying to wag the dog.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

None of them involve racial slurs, so probably not.

How is this so hard for folks to understand?
                  Yes, Washington's name was on a different level from most others. I would not be surprised to see some of the native iconography reduced or eliminated - the Tomahawk Chop, etc.

Comment

Why are the Padres included? Religious reason? If that is the case, the Saints would need to be included too. As for 49ers, there many miners to protest the name alive from 1849?

I just wish though I could know the Seattle NHL team name that was supposed to be announced months ago. We will likely know Washington's new name and logo before that team where we already know the arena name.
                    Last edited by Wildcat Khan; 07-13-2020, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post

Yes, Washington's name was on a different level from most others. I would not be surprised to see some of the native iconography reduced or eliminated - the Tomahawk Chop, etc.
                      I think it will be hard to do that for the Tomahawk Chop other than not playing the song for it. I say that because if you watch UND hockey, there are still Sioux logos all over the screens from the fans that still have those clothes. The same was true in NASCAR for the confederate flag where fans still brought them to Talladega, just kept them off the property in tailgate areas.

Comment

49ers displaced natives so they may be on the list
                        Last edited by NWFanatic; 07-14-2020, 01:51 AM.

Comment

49ers displaced natives do they may be on the list
                          I was thinking more of the Chinese being upset with them for how they were treated. I didn't know though that natives lived in solid rock inside of mountains where the gold is, that's good to know.

Comment

Redskins refers back to when the US and State Gubmints offered money for proof of a dead Native by present their red skin a proof since it was hard to transport dead bodies. Read that today.

So the name does not honor Natives...not in the least.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                              Redskins refers back to when the US and State Gubmints offered money for proof of a dead Native by present their red skin a proof since it was hard to transport dead bodies. Read that today.

So the name does not honor Natives...not in the least.
                              I noticed a Chiefs helmet when they were talking about this on TV in the background, ironic and also shows exactly what you mean. It would be like using any derogatory term and why the other teams aren't taking as much heat.

I would have loved it if Dan Snyder would have worked with the tribes to keep the native american theme, but not in a derogatory terms and instead in a way that honors them years ago and perhaps this would be avoided.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post
                                I would have loved it if Dan Snyder would have worked with the tribes to keep the native american theme, but not in a derogatory terms and instead in a way that honors them years ago and perhaps this would be avoided.
                                Dan Snyder is a problem with or without the nickname!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X