Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    The Minnesota Garbage Dump would be what I'd like to replace the Vikings moniker.

Accurately describes both the franchise and about 60% of this state they inhabit.
    Cleveland or Cincinnati should merge and use the "Garbage Dump" nickname instead while moving the merged team to Columbus. They'd still be the second best team in that city behind THE Ohio State Buckeyes.

At least the Vikings have been reasonably respectable.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Meanwhile, the Washington [Redacteds] should just change their name to the "Swamp Hogs" - DC is pretty much a swamp (literally and figuratively) to begin with and "Hogs" brings back memories of that impressive offensive line from back in the day when the [Redacteds] were actually winning championships.
      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

All of this positioning to become more politically correct is going to drive fans away. I've never been much of a fan of professional sports (except Golf which is individual rather than team and thus unencumbered, thus far, with picky-picky, nit picking, judgmental "correctness").

I was a Redskins fan during my squalid youth when the Washington Redskins were on one of the only two TV channels available on our 18", diagonal, Philco black and white television set. I sat in front of said TV, a bowl of JiffyPop popcorn and a large Pepsi at hand and sang along with the 40,000 or so literal attendees:

Hail to the Redskins
        Hail Vic-tor-ee

Braves on the Warpath
        Fight for old DC

The band dressed in feathers and beads, even though I watched in fuzzy black and white, seemed to dazzle in brilliant color as the drummers pounded out the familiar war beat. I remember Eddie Lebaron, the "General", the 5 foot 8 inch quarterback who was so slippery that he could dance around and fling passes downfield confounding those evil Giants and awful Eagles. I remember the great number 9, Sonny Jurgensen leading my Redskins to victory after victory.

Beat 'em, Swamp 'em,
        Touchdown! -- Let the points soar!
        Fight on, fight on 'Til you have won
        Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!

Da Bears

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Cleveland or Cincinnati should merge and use the "Garbage Dump" nickname instead while moving the merged team to Columbus. They'd still be the second best team in that city behind THE Ohio State Buckeyes.

At least the Vikings have been reasonably respectable.
          Browns can't get through the regular season, Vikings do and they explode in dramatic fashion near the finish line. Both results in zero Super Bowl wins.

Vikings also had the highest arrest rate in the NFL by a wide margin over the #2 team at one point, but I believe that was back when Randy Moss was running people over with his car and we've probably since fallen.

Still doesn't change the way I feel about the franchise. I pray everyday that the Duluth Eskimos would have become the dominate Minnesota NFL team.

Comment

Originally posted by Ursidae View Post
            All of this positioning to become more politically correct is going to drive fans away. I've never been much of a fan of professional sports (except Golf which is individual rather than team and thus unencumbered, thus far, with picky-picky, nit picking, judgmental "correctness").

I was a Redskins fan during my squalid youth when the Washington Redskins were on one of the only two TV channels available on our 18", diagonal, Philco black and white television set. I sat in front of said TV, a bowl of JiffyPop popcorn and a large Pepsi at hand and sang along with the 40,000 or so literal attendees:

Hail to the Redskins
            Hail Vic-tor-ee

Braves on the Warpath
            Fight for old DC

The band dressed in feathers and beads, even though I watched in fuzzy black and white, seemed to dazzle in brilliant color as the drummers pounded out the familiar war beat. I remember Eddie Lebaron, the "General", the 5 foot 8 inch quarterback who was so slippery that he could dance around and fling passes downfield confounding those evil Giants and awful Eagles. I remember the great number 9, Sonny Jurgensen leading my Redskins to victory after victory.

Beat 'em, Swamp 'em,
            Touchdown! -- Let the points soar!
            Fight on, fight on 'Til you have won
            Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!
            I see nothing wrong with pushing racist fans away. They can have pig 'rasslin and corn shuckin'.

Getting rid of a racist name/mascot would probably bring more fans in. Makes the sport kinda hard to watch at times.

Comment

Come join us in the OT forum for these topics.
              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

I'm sure it's just going to be a matter of time before a vocal movment group pressures the NBA's Adam Silvers about a mandated merge of the NBA an the WNBA with required equal playing time and pay for all players based on fairness for all. It appears as though Adam would no doubt try and push it through.

Comment

Looking forward to the Atlanta (fire) Crackers playing

Comment

Originally posted by badboyblynn View Post
                    Looking forward to the Atlanta (fire) Crackers playing
                    Many people would find that to be a very derogatory term and highly offensive. Just as much as any other highly offensive 'naming' of a person or group of people that should never be used in any way on this forum.

Comment

I was actually thinking some on this and thought the Jets of course could stay with their name, but how about common things around the house like The Chairs, The Tables, The Sofas, The Pillows, The Ovens, and and The Stoves? I mean this worked for a rock band called The Doors didn't it? Everyday things we use have to be okay I think and I hope wouldn't offend anybody. The Chiefs though couldn't become the Chef's great googly moogly.

It would be sad though if it went to the NCAA and we lost the Banana Slugs.

Comment

An ole friend messaged me and reminded me that a while back, the NCAA made Newberry College change their 'Indians' name to a less offensive 'Wolves' (or as he says, Woofs) and he suggested that if another change is in order, he's recommending 'the Cobs' in honor of the nearby corn fields. That would be a unique logo, and would require some creative cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                          An ole friend messaged me and reminded me that a while back, the NCAA made Newberry College change their 'Indians' name to a less offensive 'Wolves' (or as he says, Woofs) and he suggested that if another change is in order, he's recommending 'the Cobs' in honor of the nearby corn fields. That would be a unique logo, and would require some creative cheers.
                          A school up north (A Concordia in Wisconsin I think) is the Cobbers.

Comment

Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post

A school up north (A Concordia in Wisconsin I think) is the Cobbers.
                            Concordia yes, Wisconsin no. There are two Concordia's in Minnesota- one in St Paul which is D2 NSIC. The D3 MIAC Cobbers are in Moorhead, across the Red River from Fargo.

https://concordiamn.prestosports.com...obbertradition

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

Concordia yes, Wisconsin no. There are two Concordia's in Minnesota- one in St Paul which is D2 NSIC. The D3 MIAC Cobbers are in Moorhead, across the Red River from Fargo.

That's the one, yes. Without knowing a whole lot about them (other than they have a wrestling team) I assumed they were Wisconsin since I knew there was a D2 in St. Paul with the same name.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

You forgot Oregon and Illinois have Concordia's too.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X