Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlazerDawg View Post
    Entertainment is supposed to be an escape from life's troubles. I quit watching the NFL when it became nothing more than another avenue for politics.
    If college football turns from entertainment into intrusive politics, I'll quickly lose interest in it too.
    Well, be prepared for the NBA's Adam Silver' new infused avenue of politics. I have to admit that I grew up being a truly 'colorblind' fan of the NBC and their extremely well paid, athletically privileged players.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

Well, be prepared for the NBA's Adam Silver' new infused avenue of politics. I have to admit that I grew up being a truly 'colorblind' fan of the NBC and their extremely well paid, athletically privileged players.
      I haven't watched an NBA game in over 30 years.

I haven't watched an MLB game since the early 2000s. There was talk of a strike in whatever season that was, I decided to not watch that year so as not to get interested and then be disappointed if the season was cut short. It turns out that I didn't miss it; thus, I never came back to it.

Georgia Military College Class of '96
      Valdosta State University Class of '98
      The University of Georgia (grad school) Class of '04

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Why weren't people this angry when Charlotte changed their name from the Bobcats to the Hornets? It's almost like they don't actually care about teams changing names - maybe there is another motive.
        I actually find the name Hornets highly offensive.

* 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
        * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
        * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
        * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

Originally posted by BlazerDawg View Post
          Entertainment is supposed to be an escape from life's troubles. I quit watching the NFL when it became nothing more than another avenue for politics.

I have Native American ancestry through my maternal grandmother. I was raised as a Redskins fan due to Sam "Slinging Sammy" Baugh being a relative on my mother's side. In his later years he preferred to be called "Sam".

I adopted the Chiefs as my AFC preference specifically because of the arrowhead logo and the nickname, and I entered each season hoping for a Redskins/Chiefs Superbowl. Now I just don't care.

If college football turns from entertainment into intrusive politics, I'll quickly lose interest in it too.
          I have never noticed politics impacting the actual game itself, not sure how it's not an escape still. They put the ball on a tee and kickoff and the next 60 minutes of game play is the exact same as it was...

However, I have lost interest in the NFL and most professional sports beyond hockey and soccer but only because of the amount of time the games actually take to sit down and watch. I'll gladly watch the 7 minutes of highlights of the Super Bowl rather than wasting 3+ hours on mostly commercials and announcers saying the same thing over and over.

Comment

Originally posted by West Florida View Post

Well all you need to do in order to change it is get several million other folks of like mind, organize them and convince several mega corporations that your feelings are relevant. Or were you just being a d$#@head about it ??? Thought so.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

I have never noticed politics impacting the actual game itself, not sure how it's not an escape still. They put the ball on a tee and kickoff and the next 60 minutes of game play is the exact same as it was...
              The game play itself wasn't impacted, but the broadcasts were permeated by rhetoric discussion of protests. I tuned in to tune out. The networks made a choice, and so did I.
              Georgia Military College Class of '96
              Valdosta State University Class of '98
              The University of Georgia (grad school) Class of '04

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I'm all for abolishing the Yankees. Oh... you mean the team name.

Those two terms are derogatory, technically - but they are not racial slurs, for one thing.

Also - something to think about, but if a group of Americans chooses to refer to themselves as "Yankees," is that the same thing as a group of people from the UK calling those same people "Yankees?" Substitute that word for "redneck," "deplorables," or "punks." All three are derogatory terms, yet all three have been embraced by the same group those words intended to humiliate. Is that the way society should operate? That's up for debate - but that's the way society operates.

That's why, when a civil rights group from Minneapolis threatened to sue the Warroad High School over their Native American name and imagery, they were stopped pretty quickly - by a group of Native Americans from Warroad.

https://www.twincities.com/2014/08/1...al-group-says/

Just something to think about.
                In today's culture, it seems that if it's offensive to one, that means it's too offensive. Take the Native American tribe issue. If a few tribes are good with a name, but one isn't, it's an uproar.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

In today's culture, it seems that if it's offensive to one, that means it's too offensive. Take the Native American tribe issue. If a few tribes are good with a name, but one isn't, it's an uproar.
                  I can assure you that's not the case in this particular instance, the majority of natives find it offensive. I know there are contradicting studies.

Lots of things are offensive, but they continue to exist - maybe it has to do with the fact that this particular instance is a racial slur.

Comment

Originally posted by West Florida View Post

Reminds me of that one time I got stung as a child.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlazerDawg View Post

The game play itself wasn't impacted, but the broadcasts were permeated by rhetoric discussion of protests. I tuned in to tune out. The networks made a choice, and so did I.
                      Guess I never really felt like politics was discussed by the announcers during the game, it would've at least given them something else to say though.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I can assure you that's not the case in this particular instance, the majority of natives find it offensive. I know there are contradicting studies.

Lots of things are offensive, but they continue to exist - maybe it has to do with the fact that this particular instance is a racial slur.
                        Uh. please keep things in context. My post was about Yankee/Canucks. Not with Washington.. Washington is different than say "Hurons" or "Fighting Sioux" etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Uh. please keep things in context. My post was about Yankee/Canucks. Not with Washington.. Washington is different than say "Hurons" or "Fighting Sioux" etc.

"Take the Native American tribe issue. If a few tribes are good with a name, but one isn't, it's an uproar."

You'll have to excuse me for not picking up on the context. To my knowledge, Yankees/Canucks is not a "Native American tribe issue" - but Washington certainly is.

Care to elaborate on what you mean? I'm just trying to understand more than anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by crixus View Post

Bobcats and Hornets aren't politically incorrect. They're critters, and as far as I know everyone is cool with using them for team names. If not, PETA and the ASPCA would have complained already. Also, they were the Charlotte Hornets originally. Michael Jordan (the team's majority owner) changed it from Bobcats back to the Hornets in 2014, the name that most Charlotteans preferred.
                            For that, New Orleans also had to change to the Pelicans so Charlotte could have the name back. When Charlotte came back into the league, it was still the New Orleans Hornets. For example if the NFL expanded with a new team in Oakland, then a few years later Las Vegas changes from the Raiders it would be like Oakland going back to being the Raiders.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Here's a different one, Yakima Valley Community College used to be the Indians the time PC name changes was the rage with schools like St John's changing names. What did they change to? The Yaks, not as in the animal but a slang term for the local tribe the city is named after with the tribe's approval.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

"Take the Native American tribe issue. If a few tribes are good with a name, but one isn't, it's an uproar."

You'll have to excuse me for not picking up on the context. To my knowledge, Yankees/Canucks is not a "Native American tribe issue" - but Washington certainly is.

Care to elaborate on what you mean? I'm just trying to understand more than anything.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X