Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That is true to my knowledge as well. It's just a general slur - not targeted at any specific geographical location.

The Cincinnati Saltines is a nice middle ground.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

"Take the Native American tribe issue. If a few tribes are good with a name, but one isn't, it's an uproar."

You'll have to excuse me for not picking up on the context. To my knowledge, Yankees/Canucks is not a "Native American tribe issue" - but Washington certainly is.

Care to elaborate on what you mean? I'm just trying to understand more than anything.

Take the Washington issue out of it.

My point is that if a few are unhappy about a name or whatever, even though most are OK with it...(including the potential group in the name), there seems to be a core that wants to remove it. So, take the Fighting Sioux and North Dakota. There was a majority that were good with the name and in fact some honored by it. But a handful did not. So, they were forced to remove it.

Now for grins, I threw in Yankee and Canuck. Many are cool with these names. I am. But, there are thousands that aren't. Say what you will, the way Yankee MIGHT be used could be derogatory. So shouldn't the Baseball team drop that name since it does offend some? Same with Canuck. Sure most are cool with it, but not everyone. So how is that different than a tribe name? I'm pointing out some inconsistencies.

For me, I'm not offended so I admit it's a bit hard for me to relate to people that get bent about team names. I'll respect their opinion, but my nature is that I'm not sure there are names out there that I'd want dropped. Others are highly offended, so I'll accept their concerns.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

Here's a different one, Yakima Valley Community College used to be the Indians the time PC name changes was the rage with schools like St John's changing names. What did they change to? The Yaks, not as in the animal but a slang term for the local tribe the city is named after with the tribe's approval.
        University of Utah has something similar, albeit "Utes" is just the name of the tribe - to my knowledge.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/educatio...n-tribe-signs/

Comment

That is true to my knowledge as well. It's just a general slur - not targeted at any specific geographical location.

The Cincinnati Saltines is a nice middle ground.

Comment

• So..... I got a call today from a friend who is a big time UNC Tar Heel fan, alumni, and booster. He's typically pretty liberal and had been in support of some recent changes that have been happening recently, that is until he found out this morning that his beloved 'Tar Heels' name is offensive to a small percentage of people, and may have to be removed and replaced. He went into a very angry rant about how he's sure that at least 98% of his fellow alumni and fans don't in any way want to see 'Tar Heels' done away with. He said he's now in favor of seeing the PC Police completely defunded.

Comment

• Yes. It's a racial slur not directed towards a specific tribe.

I think we all understand that.

Comment

• Originally posted by twolfbenchwarmer View Post

Redskins to my knowledge has nothing to do with any tribe specifically but is only a racial slur
                Last edited by crixus; 07-16-2020, 03:08 PM.

Comment

University of Utah has something similar, albeit "Utes" is just the name of the tribe - to my knowledge.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/educatio...n-tribe-signs/
                  Quite true, but they didn't change their name like YVCC did. There is also Florida State too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                    So..... I got a call today from a friend who is a big time UNC Tar Heel fan, alumni, and booster. He's typically pretty liberal and had been in support of some recent changes that have been happening recently, that is until he found out this morning that his beloved 'Tar Heels' name is offensive to a small percentage of people, and may have to be removed and replaced. He went into a very angry rant about how he's sure that at least 98% of his fellow alumni and fans don't in any way want to see 'Tar Heels' done away with. He said he's now in favor of seeing the PC Police completely defunded.
                    D2 SFU is changing from The Clan as of the 3rd. Simon Frasier was a Scottish explorer which led to the name for the school, which refers to the Gaelic word. Many athletes think of it as the KKK instead of Scottish clans so it is being changed. I have Scottish heritage which is confirmed in genealogy that an aunt of mine did and am embarrassed that such a historic word about family has been corrupted. I just hope it doesn't become a campaign against Scottish people as a whole with our clan heritages.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

Quite true, but they didn't change their name like YVCC did. There is also Florida State too.
                      Very true.

Comment

• Word on the street is the Kansas City Chiefs will drop the 'i' and just go with Chefs. They will keep the Tomahawk Chop, but rename it the Pork Chop. The current helmet logo will keep the 'KC' but replace the arrowhead with a Fedex style arrow. Fans who used to wear war paint can now paint their faces with tailgate BBQ sauce.

Comment

Very true.
                          The case of the SEMINOLES, the tribe not the FB team, is IMO unique. They are a small, around 2,000, tribe spread throughout 6 reservations in Fla. They seem, from my very uneducated eye, to have themselves in a comfortable position. I don't know what agreement they have with FSU but I think I've heard that they don't have an issue with the use of the mascot. I would like to know if they are compensated in any way. It would seem at the very least that a full ride for any tribe member who applies and qualifies would be a good start. Anyone have any info ?

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Well as long as there's no group standing up for ROMAN GODS my VULCANS should be OK.....for now.
                            WRONG! Vulcan is associated with oil based products and as we know, oil is evil and the destroyer of worlds. Every mention of anything associated with oil must be eradicated. Sorry but the Vulcan's will just have to come up with another nickname!!

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

WRONG! Vulcan is associated with oil based products and as we know, oil is evil and the destroyer of worlds. Every mention of anything associated with oil must be eradicated. Sorry but the Vulcan's will just have to come up with another nickname!!
                              ????? Chosen by students in the 30s at the then teachers college specializing in INDUSTRIAL ARTS so the connection to the blacksmith of the gods. Incidentally, also the husband of VENUS, which isn't too shabby for an ugly cuss, though when she cheated on him the ROMANS paid a big price because he freaked out at his hearth in MT ETNA.
                              Last edited by CALUPA69; 07-17-2020, 06:01 PM.

Comment

• Here's an article on the relationship FSU has with the Seminole Tribe of Florida

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X