Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: NBA's National Viewership Ratings Declines, now below PGA and NASCAR.

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: NBA's National Viewership Ratings Declines, now below PGA and NASCAR.

The NBA's viewership has now slipped to an average of below a million national viewers per game and trails well below PGA events and NASCAR races.

www.mlive.com/sports/2020/08/mis-nascar-race.

Some viewers consider the new bubble NBA games as more like 'made for TV entertainment' verses intense competition they had grown accustom of viewing and enjoying for decades. Sloppy play, a lack of defense, and distractions has caused viewership to quickly decline at a time when sports fans crave true competition. Sadly, it appears as though the bubble nba games now resemble playful all star games where potential highlight shots are prioritized over competitive defense. But who knows, the entertainment may actually be being produced to pacify fans in other priority countries.

Baseball ratings are bad too.

MLB Ratings Are Worse Than NBA�s, But Nobody Seems To Care

Comment

As I posted elsewhere- haven't seen one second of MLB, NBA, NHL or WNBA live action. And I don't miss it.

Now- I'm already missing college football and it hasn't even not started yet.

Comment

I pretty much stopped watching sports with any kind of reverence about 8-9 years ago when we gave up cable. With the antenna, I'll throw a random NFL/CFB game on during the fall - but that's about the extent of it. If it's a game I really want to watch, I'll make arrangements to watch it somewhere - like the D2 title game. That's really about it though.

It turns out, I hate being glued to a TV screen for long periods of time. Maybe I have a poor attention span, maybe I get burned out from staring at a computer all day - either way, I really just can't sit and watch a 3+ hour game multiple times a week. It just seems like a colossal waste of time. I love attending in-person, and I follow sports in different ways. About the only thing I go out of my way to watch regularly is WWE Smackdown, and their monthly PPVs - but even then, I sometimes struggle with it.

Anyway - I think people have really underestimated the atmosphere the crowd brings to a live event. It probably affects the NBA the most as they seem to be quite emotionally driven more than the other sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
          The NBA's viewership has now slipped to an average of below a million national viewers per game and trails well below PGA events and NASCAR races.

www.mlive.com/sports/2020/08/mis-nascar-race.

Some viewers consider the new bubble NBA games as more like 'made for TV entertainment' verses intense competition they had grown accustom of viewing and enjoying for decades. Sloppy play, a lack of defense, and distractions has caused viewership to quickly decline at a time when sports fans crave true competition. Sadly, it appears as though the bubble nba games now resemble playful all star games where potential highlight shots are prioritized over competitive defense. But who knows, the entertainment may actually be being produced to pacify fans in other priority countries.
          The reason nobody is watching are several fold:

1. It's the middle of August for crying out loud;
          2. While the players are immensely talented the product is mundane with only halfhearted effort put forward until the last five minutes;
          3. No fans in the stands spells BORING;
          4. Ownership/management have basically turned the teams over to whoever the star player is letting them essentially set the rules, pick the coach and pick the players;
          5. For the love of money the league will not call out China for what it is and have shamed players courageous enough to do so;
          6. And here is the big one. The average fan is not interested in listening to a bunch of rich dudes making millions of dollars a year playing a child's game in the only country they could be so blessed, basically calling the rest of us a bunch of low-life racists. Rational Americans who have an inkling of common sense are still patriotic and don't want to see stupid woke slogans on the back of jersey's in replacement for names, players disrespecting the national anthem and the American flag and seeing a terrorist organization's name painted on the court. Owner's have foolishly bought in to all this nonsense and have tossed their fan base to the wind. But as a person who believes in the Constitution and individual rights I will wholeheartedly defend their right to do so.

Comment

In the Sports Entertainment segment, I was informed by a good friend that surprisingly enough, the WWE Smackdown Wrestling Shows etc viewership is now around double that of the declining Bubble NBA Entertainment games / exhibitions. Maybe the Bubble NBC can get Hulk Hogan to drive over to Orlando and officiate or announce some of their entertainment spectacles.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
              As I posted elsewhere- haven't seen one second of MLB, NBA, NHL or WNBA live action. And I don't miss it.

Now- I'm already missing college football and it hasn't even not started yet.
              About the only thing I've been watching is the NHL. Even without fans, it feels like playoff hockey other than a couple of series although with more of a tournament feel with the lack of fans. I guess too bad for you the Wild lost in the playoff qualifiers to a Vancouver team that looks hungry and is playing very well against the defending champs. The action on the ice is hard hitting like normal playoffs and there have even been a few fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

About the only thing I've been watching is the NHL. Even without fans, it feels like playoff hockey other than a couple of series although with more of a tournament feel with the lack of fans. I guess too bad for you the Wild lost in the playoff qualifiers to a Vancouver team that looks hungry and is playing very well against the defending champs. The action on the ice is hard hitting like normal playoffs and there have even been a few fights.
                I see that the T-Wolves drew the #1 draft pick this year. It figures since no one sticks out as a top draft choice like Zion. They talk about drafting Bell but the drawback is getting his old man to boot. Glen Taylor wants to sell the team so I'm wondering about the process. They have been a cursed franchise over the years. The Wild- well, they are just teasers. I've never held them in the same regard as I did the North Stars.

I'll have to order a Kraken cap once the excitement- and price- comes down.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

I see that the T-Wolves drew the #1 draft pick this year. It figures since no one sticks out as a top draft choice like Zion. They talk about drafting Bell but the drawback is getting his old man to boot. Glen Taylor wants to sell the team so I'm wondering about the process. They have been a cursed franchise over the years. The Wild- well, they are just teasers. I've never held them in the same regard as I did the North Stars.

I'll have to order a Kraken cap once the excitement- and price- comes down.
                  If they didn't have Towns I'd say go for Obi Toppin. Other than that, I'm not sure who to get especially as we didn't have an NCAA tournament to see the players against top competition in later rounds.

Comment

Had a friend call and tell me prior to the draft lottery that he would lay ridicules odds on Golden State getting the first or second pick. Good thing I didn't bet. Coincidentally as it turn out, Golden State is China's favorite team (it used to be Houston) and Stephen Curry is their favorite player. ............Just saying

Comment

Had a friend call and tell me prior to the draft lottery that he would lay ridicules odds on Golden State getting the first or second pick. Good thing I didn't bet. Coincidentally as it turn out, Golden State is China's favorite team (it used to be Houston) and Stephen Curry is their favorite player. ............Just saying
                      Well they had the best odds of having the #1 pick after finishing with the worst record and they didn't get it- just saying

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

Well they had the best odds of having the #1 pick after finishing with the worst record and they didn't get it- just saying
                        Want to talk about the Redwings? I don't :-(

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

14% The same as 2 other teams, not really great odds.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Want to talk about the Redwings? I don't :-(
                            I'm not to worried about Vancouver's pick as it was traded to the Devils. No Quinten Hughes, Elias Pederson, or Brock Boeser caliber player coming to them this draft.

Comment

14% The same as 2 other teams, not really great odds.
                              I never said great odds. I'm glad you acknowledged they had the best odds and didn't get the first pick.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X