Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Palestra at the University of Pennsylvania - oddly enough, this photo is not of Penn, but of Penn State playing Michigan State (the article says Iowa).

Comment

Quite arguably the most historic basketball arena in Minnesota - Hutton Arena, home to DIII's Hamline University Pipers. Williams Arena at the University of Minnesota is older by 8-9 years, but Hutton has far more history. The Lakers even played here a couple of times, and Vern Mikkelsen apparently lived here for a while.

Comment

I also can't forget about the Corn Palace.

Comment

Originally posted by Mk63NuclearBomb View Post

Pre-renovation Hayward field had a ton of character, and it's a shame they had to massively renovate it to host the world championships next year

??????
          This is what it looks like now...
          Hayward is a great stadium, only been there as a spectator. Favorite track venue I competed at was Mt. SAC. I Was really disappointed with their local citizens raising a fuss After being awarded the trials and losing them back to Eugene. Maybe in 2024.... but Hilmer Lodge stadium is looking great nowadays
          https://youtu.be/bm11Ou7zEH0

Comment

Coolest place I've been to a D2 event. Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls. Takes you back in time 100 years with the look and feel, but has all the modern bells and whistles. The auxiliary courts, hospitality, meeting rooms, and other parts of the facility are amazing too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	77252145_2588710607849217_4366676357736824832_o-850x425.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	538714

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
              Where's that at? T/F-specifc complexes aren't too common here - not big enough to support them.
              The Track & Field Capitol of the US....Eugene, Oregon

Comment

I thought this thread would get a bit more of a boost - just tryin' to increase activity and discussion 'round here. Anyway... here's the Kibbie Dome, University of Idaho.

I believe the uprights come out from the walls like basketball hoops in some gyms, maybe that's why I've always had an acute fascination with the space.

The Kibbie Dome has a fantastic indoor track set up.

Comment

Here's the track complex for the University of Minnesota - kinda looks like a below-average D2 football stadium.

CWU track facility. It was moved from Tomlinson Stadium. While the infield is not used for track, the throw facilities are top noth and the track is superb and has some great potential I think CWU is slated to host a Regional in the future.

Comment

Perham High School Basketball Gym, Perham MN

-Complete with... SHOT CLOCKS!!

Shot clocks in high school might be more common than you think. I know for certain that the two highest classifications in South Dakota have a shot clock rule, and thus all gyms of these schools have shot clocks. But, it might be a cost issue for smaller schools.

That's an awesome gym, however.

Comment

Originally posted by cneagle99 View Post

Union City High School with the football and baseball field on the roof of the high school. Great view of NYC.
                      That's crazy. I would imagine that they have drainage for figured out for watering the grass, and for potentially heavy rainstorms. Also, the roof is strong enough to support the weight of several dozen people on top of the roof at the same time. I am impressed at the structural engineering to accommodate that.

Comment

Originally posted by sportsvine View Post

Shot clocks in high school might be more common than you think. I know for certain that the two highest classifications in South Dakota have a shot clock rule, and thus all gyms of these schools have shot clocks. But, it might be a cost issue for smaller schools.

That's an awesome gym, however.
                        Minnesota is notorious for it's lack of a shot clock rule. Some teams have taken advantage of it in the worst way possible. Even though it's anecdotal and this doesn't happen too often, I'm still annoyed that it's a possibility, a reality, and a legitimate game strategy.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/...e/89-524372822

Perham upgraded their facilities a few years back and they added shot clocks, which made some waves online - almost like they were taking a shot directly at the MSHSL. They are a big basketball town.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

CWU track facility. It was moved from Tomlinson Stadium. While the infield is not used for track, the throw facilities are top noth and the track is superb and has some great potential I think CWU is slated to host a Regional in the future.
                          That's kind of neat - this is what we have out here:

This is SMSU's old football stadium, they moved in 2008 to their new one. This facility sat empty for 6 years, and the decision makers decided to renovate it into this instead of tearing it down. It's a joint effort between the college and high school. All the throwing is done in that corner between the baseball field and the track. It's a nice use of space and I believe it gets used a lot by all parties involved.

Comment

CETYS University - Tijuana, Mexico.

Comment

That's crazy. I would imagine that they have drainage for figured out for watering the grass, and for potentially heavy rainstorms. Also, the roof is strong enough to support the weight of several dozen people on top of the roof at the same time. I am impressed at the structural engineering to accommodate that.
                              I have no knowledge of it, but it appears to be built similarly to a parking ramp. Which would allow the support of all the weight. As for the grass, is it field turf?

Comment

Turf

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X