Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home of the 2019 CCCAA Champions - Wheelock Field, Riverside City College, Riverside CA.

Comment

The forest track at Nike's world headquarters in Oregon isn't a competitive venue but it's cool as hell regardless
      ??????

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Minnesota is notorious for it's lack of a shot clock rule. Some teams have taken advantage of it in the worst way possible. Even though it's anecdotal and this doesn't happen too often, I'm still annoyed that it's a possibility, a reality, and a legitimate game strategy.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/...e/89-524372822

Perham upgraded their facilities a few years back and they added shot clocks, which made some waves online - almost like they were taking a shot directly at the MSHSL. They are a big basketball town.

Most states don't use a shot clock

Comment

Minnesota is notorious for it's lack of a shot clock rule. Some teams have taken advantage of it in the worst way possible. Even though it's anecdotal and this doesn't happen too often, I'm still annoyed that it's a possibility, a reality, and a legitimate game strategy.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/...e/89-524372822

Perham upgraded their facilities a few years back and they added shot clocks, which made some waves online - almost like they were taking a shot directly at the MSHSL. They are a big basketball town.
          This game was a Section semifinal game.

The very next season Marshall had a rematch with Waseca in the section Final and Marshall won in what was generally considered an upset.

My daughter was on both of those Marshall teams. The idea by Coach Westby to slow the game down was a good one. It didn't really go as planned for a variety of reasons, including Waseca's refusal to pressure Marshall and play defense. I know a lot of Waseca fans were mad, but the reality is Waseca was willing to play the stall game too. They never came out and forced the action. We had played Waseca earlier and they were a bit more atletic than us in that game and so the idea to shorten the game made sense.

In addition, Marshall didn't ececute the game play perfect either. The idea was to hold the bal and try to get Waseca out of position and get some easy layups. Waseca didn't allow that and Marshall didn't capitalize the couple of times early that we had layup opportunities.

Anyway, it is a great rivalry between the schools in almost every sport that continues today. Overall the two best athletic schools in the Big South with many epic battles in various sports that are well documented. Same this year expected.

The win over Waseca the next year (2019) was epic. IRONICALLY, in 2019, Marshall got up by about 8-10 points middle of the second half. Marshall went into stall mode and Waseca didn't pressure or foul to extend the game. They allowed us to run off 45 seconds on about 6 possessions in a row until time started getting too late! The same plan worked the next year. We made enough free throws that the game was never in doubt. The IRONY is something most don't know about.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

I have no knowledge of it, but it appears to be built similarly to a parking ramp. Which would allow the support of all the weight. As for the grass, is it field turf?
            Yeah, it would make sense to be built like a parking garage. Every time I had been in one of those multi-story parking garages I would get nervous that it could collapse, knowing all the weight it has to support and the weight of the concrete that its made out of.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Turf
              I thought of that and zoomed in, on the image to try to determine if it was turf, but couldn't really tell. I would make sense to use turf on the roof of a building.

Comment

Originally posted by sportsvine View Post

I thought of that and zoomed in, on the image to try to determine if it was turf, but couldn't really tell. I would make sense to use turf on the roof of a building.
                https://www.google.com/maps/place/Un....0367419?hl=en

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post

Most states don't use a shot clock
                  Interesting. Is it a hot topic for debate elsewhere as well? Seems to come up in conversation about once a year, near the playoffs.

Comment

Remember when North Carolina held the ball for the entire first half against Duke. I think the score was 4 - 0 at half.

Comment

Interesting. Is it a hot topic for debate elsewhere as well? Seems to come up in conversation about once a year, near the playoffs.
                      It comes up a lot in Nebraska, I don't see it happening anytime in the short-term.

As of today, only eight states have a shot clock in high school basketball:

California
                      Maryland
                      Massachusetts
                      New York
                      North Dakota
                      Rhode Island
                      South Dakota
                      Washington

A few states have toyed with the idea of it, before walking the idea back. The NFHS (National Federation of High Schools) has repeatedly rejected the implementation of a nation-wide shot clock rule.

Comment

It was explained to me that it would be bad for high school basketball. Just results in kids throwing up crap near the end of the shot clock.

Comment

It was explained to me that it would be bad for high school basketball. Just results in kids throwing up crap near the end of the shot clock.
                          There's a ton of argument on each side of the issue regarding a shot clock. A common argument against you will see, especially for smaller schools, is the cost of the clocks and finding competent people to operate them.

Comment

Marshall always plays the Sioux Falls schools in basketball. Both boys and girls. The shot clock changes the game. Mixed opinions here. SD also uses quarters still instead of halves. That actually affects the game more in my opinion.

FWIW, our games aginst Sioux Falls schools , both boys and girls, are typically much lower scoring. Part of that is 36 minute games vs 40 minute games, but the reality is the shot clock does not speed up play. If anything my personal experiences says it slows it down.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

Marshall always plays the Sioux Falls schools in basketball. Both boys and girls. The shot clock changes the game. Mixed opinions here. SD also uses quarters still instead of halves. That actually affects the game more in my opinion.

FWIW, our games aginst Sioux Falls schools , both boys and girls, are typically much lower scoring. Part of that is 36 minute games vs 40 minute games, but the reality is the shot clock does not speed up play. If anything my personal experiences says it slows it down.

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post

There's a ton of argument on each side of the issue regarding a shot clock. A common argument against you will see, especially for smaller schools, is the cost of the clocks and finding competent people to operate them.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X