X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cwfenn
    replied
    Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

I doubt Mark Few would leave Gonzaga. He loves the school and the area, especially the fishing. One school that tried to get him even promised him to build a fishing stream and he turned them down. He's already turned down Pac-12 jobs and there was a time UCLA was interested in him. The AD there is also the same one that hired him in 1999.
    I would agree with you - he doesn't need to go somewhere else to be big time anymore. I don't think UNC's millions would convince him, although I do think UNC might call him just to see. Like someone else said, he even turned down his alma mater in the past. He can get 5-star recruits now - he got one this year in Suggs, has another coming next year in Hunter Sallis, and from what I've seen he's likely to get Chet Holmgren (#1 high school player in the US) too. The athletics program has the full backing of the university now - they were considering going D3 before the run started.

Tell you what, though, they better win tomorrow night. The Suggs shot will be remembered forever, but if Baylor grinds them into dust tomorrow night, there might be questions about whether they could ever get it done. How would the Christian Laettner shot have been remembered if the Fab Five beat Duke that year? It took UConn 10 years before they won their first (they ended the original 1999 Gonzaga run on the way). It took Coach K 11 years. Roy Williams needed 17 years and a change of schools. Gonzaga's now on 23 years.

If Mark Few has a Herb Brooks "if you lose, you'll take it to your $#$% grave" speech in him, he may want to use it. Of course, I've never been and probably never will be a coach, so take it with a grain of salt.

Leave a comment:

• Wildcat Khan
    replied
    He even turned down Oregon where he grew up and then went to school. It would have been interesting in 2017 had UofO gotten a rebound on the missed foul shots of UNC and won that game in the Final 4.

Leave a comment:

• UWFMubbish
    replied
    I'd definitely stay at Gonzaga as long as everybody (wife-family, etc.) is comfortable and the pay is satisfactory. He has one helluva program and has been on a 20-year roll and his teams seem to improve each year. I thought the same about Chris Petersen when he was at Boise State -- don't leave and continue to work that magic. Where is Petersen now?

Leave a comment:

• Purple Mav Man
    replied

I doubt Mark Few would leave Gonzaga. He loves the school and the area, especially the fishing. One school that tried to get him even promised him to build a fishing stream and he turned them down. He's already turned down Pac-12 jobs and there was a time UCLA was interested in him. The AD there is also the same one that hired him in 1999.

Leave a comment:

• Wildcat Khan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Wildcat Khan
    replied
    Originally posted by UWFMubbish View Post

Is Beard going to Oklahoma or Texas? I read somewhere it was official that he was going to Austin....Hard to say since it is April Fools Day.
    I meant Texas. I know Oklahoma is looking for a new coach too.

Leave a comment:

• cwfenn
    replied
    Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post
    I'd say it's official...Will be interesting to see who replaces him.

https://twitter.com/UNC_Basketball/s...29230813954049

Leave a comment:

• cwfenn
    replied
    Originally posted by UWFMubbish View Post

Is Beard going to Oklahoma or Texas? I read somewhere it was official that he was going to Austin....Hard to say since it is April Fools Day.
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...new-head-coach

Leave a comment:

• UWFMubbish
    replied
    Also reports of Chris Beard going to Oklahoma from Texas Tech. It seems a step up as Texas Tech has been a 6 seed in the last two tournaments with one National Championship runner up.

Leave a comment:

• Uwfalum98
    replied
    I'd say it's official...Will be interesting to see who replaces him.

https://twitter.com/UNC_Basketball/s...29230813954049

Leave a comment:

• Wildcat Khan
    replied
    Also reports of Chris Beard going to Oklahoma from Texas Tech. It seems a step up as Texas Tech has been a 6 seed in the last two tournaments with one National Championship runner up.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post

They are saying he will make it official at 4pm ET. Interesting day to make such a huge announcement.
    Yah, I rarely believe anything on April 1st until the next day.

Leave a comment:

• Uwfalum98
    replied
    Originally posted by laker View Post
    Multiple sources say that this is no April Fool's joke- that Roy Williams is retiring from UNC. Seems like an odd day to make that announcement- we shall see.
    They are saying he will make it official at 4pm ET. Interesting day to make such a huge announcement.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Multiple sources say that this is no April Fool's joke- that Roy Williams is retiring from UNC. Seems like an odd day to make that announcement- we shall see.

Leave a comment:

• Runnin' Cat
    replied
    Upset brewing in the KU v. EWU game. The Eags are hot and jumping on the Jayhawks. Near the end of the first half and Eastern is up.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X