Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post COVID Conference Realignment

Hello all, with the COVID altered state of college sports, does anyone else think there will be a shift to better geographic options when schools are considering their conference affiliations? I think there will be due to the constricted budgets over the next year. I think a fair of schools will ultimately get over some of the old bad blood or other issues that may have pushed them away from a geographic conference fit. For example, I could see a school like Kentucky Wesleyan move to rejoin the GLVC as the GMAC seems to be more Ohio-centric. I could see this for a number of schools in my neck of the woods (Indianapolis, KWC, Trevecca Nazarene, Lewis, Notre Dame College, etc.), and I think certain conferences will be trying to a build tight knit geographic fit to ensure their survival and keep costs as low as possible. Thoughts? Other school or conference changes you predict?

There were some conference moves before the pandemic hit (I'm glad AB joined the Mountain East) and I could see your scenario playing out to some extent. I would think that most schools have lost money and will be looking for ways to make up those losses by cutting down on travel costs, etc. And realignment is a way to do that. So they'll probably be some more moves.
    Last edited by crixus; 12-01-2020, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Would not Kentucky Wesleyan be better off as an "independent" in football, play Kentucky St, some eastern GLVC and NAIA MidSouth Kentucky area schools?

Comment

Originally posted by D2Ohio View Post
        Would not Kentucky Wesleyan be better off as an "independent" in football, play Kentucky St, some eastern GLVC and NAIA MidSouth Kentucky area schools?
        I wouldn't recommend it. Being in a conference makes scheduling easier than being an Indy. And playing for a chance to win a conference title is good for the players and fans. I know KW doesn't have a great program at the moment but programs have been turned around with good coaches/recruiters. It happens.
        Last edited by crixus; 12-01-2020, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by D2Ohio View Post
          Would not Kentucky Wesleyan be better off as an "independent" in football, play Kentucky St, some eastern GLVC and NAIA Mid South Kentucky area schools?
          I think in the ideal world for KWC, you move over to the GLVC and act as a travel partner school/rival with Southern Indiana across the river for most sports except football. It would make more sense for the athletic department as a whole, and would cut down on their longer trips for conference games. Not to mention, I think KWC would be a better fit competitive wise with schools like William Jewel and Southwest Baptist.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post
            There were some conference moves before the pandemic hit (I'm glad AB joined the Mountain East) and I could see your scenario playing out to some extent. I would think that most schools have lost money and will be looking for ways to make up those losses by cutting down on travel costs, etc. And realignment is a way to do that. So they'll probably be some more moves.
            Have you heard anything about Ohio Valley maybe joining AB and D&E in the Mountain East? They announced that they would be leaving the GMAC, but not said if they will join another conference. They could drop to NAIA or D3 too.

Comment

Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post

Have you heard anything about Ohio Valley maybe joining AB and D&E in the Mountain East? They announced that they would be leaving the GMAC, but not said if they will join another conference. They could drop to NAIA or D3 too.
              No I haven't, not until now. Thanks for the scoop.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

No I haven't, not until now. Thanks for the scoop.
                No problem. OVU was always a stretch for D2 as make the D3 across the river from them, Marietta College, look like Ohio State in enrollment, facilities, etc. I think they are likely to pull sports or move to D3.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X