X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone going to D3?

The school was not identified.

Collegiate Consulting Completes Divisional Reclassification Study

I've got it narrowed down to 80% of current D2 schools. That could be high.

Comment

Well... you can eliminate anyone in the Pacific or Mountain time zones.

Comment

I can think of a handful. Ohio Valley University announced they would be leaving the GMAC about 4 months ago, and they would certainly fit as a D3 more than a D2. They would be a my first guess off the top of my head.

Link to Leaving GMAC announcement: https://fightingscots.ovu.edu/news/2...embership.aspx
        Last edited by Uindy18; 12-29-2020, 12:55 PM.

Comment

At this point, for the integrity of Division 2 Football, I advocate that any Division 2 conference which doesn't implement a mandated minimum on allocated scholarships, and have schools claiming full D2 status while allowing conference members to only invest in between 0 and 10 scholarships, should (starting in 2023) be reclassified as Division 2- AAA. I am also advocating that starting in 2023 / 2024 the NCAA mandate that no D2 school that doesn't prove that they are allocating (investing in) a minimum of 20 football scholarships in a given year be excluded from participating in the Division 2 Football playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
            At this point, for the integrity of Division 2 Football, I advocate that any Division 2 conference which doesn't implement a mandated minimum on allocated scholarships, and have schools claiming full D2 status while allowing conference members to only invest in between 0 and 10 scholarships, should (starting in 2023) be reclassified as Division 2- AAA. I am also advocating that starting in 2023 / 2024 the NCAA mandate that no D2 school that doesn't prove that they are allocating (investing in) a minimum of 20 football scholarships in a given year be excluded from participating in the Division 2 Football playoffs.
            While well intentioned, I think this regulation would mostly push schools to NAIA or D3, not protect D2. Schools offer the scholarships that they do because usually that is all they can afford. Even the bigger programs in D2 are operating on extremely tight margins (even before COVID), and adding more regulations on top of that would simply kill programs or move them out of D2, especially in the face of COVID.

Comment

I understand that some schools can not afford to offer very many scholarships, but don't dilute the 'higher division' status for a D2 schools because you can't (or don't care to) come anywhere near the NCAA recommended Division 2 number of scholarships. Truly be D2, or transition on to another division which better suites your budget (or desire). This is one reason I'm advocating a minimum for D2 status, and if you can't (or choose not to) meet that set minimum, well you are regulated to D2-AAA status. A secondary playoff could be made for the lower D2-AAA division.

To rectify the higher division integrity, I'm suggesting that a minimum for NCAA Division 2 Football of 25 scholarships be utilized by the participating institution each year.

Comment

I understand that some schools can not afford to offer very many scholarships, but don't dilute the 'higher division' status for a D2 schools because you can't (or don't care to) come anywhere near the NCAA recommended Division 2 number of scholarships. Truly be D2, or transition on to another division which better suites your budget (or desire). This is one reason I'm advocating a minimum for D2 status, and if you can't (or choose not to) meet that set minimum, well you are regulated to D2-AAA status. A secondary playoff could be made for the lower D2-AAA division.

To rectify the higher division integrity, I'm suggesting that a minimum for NCAA Division 2 Football of 25 scholarships be utilized by the participating institution each year.
                I think you just cut half of D2.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Well... you can eliminate anyone in the Pacific or Mountain time zones.
                  In the GNAC footprint of OR and WA, there are 9 DIII schools.

Comment

This sounds a lot like "Blueprint for a New Level of Competitive Football in the NCAA Division II Membership Structure" that came from the NCAA Division II Football Task Force in May 2006. The proposed Freedom Division playoff bracket was 16 in size for schools that offered up to 36 scholarships and the Liberty Division playoff bracket had 8 teams for schools that offered up to 18 equivalencies. I can't locate the document online, but it is referenced here.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

This sounds a lot like "Blueprint for a New Level of Competitive Football in the NCAA Division II Membership Structure" that came from the NCAA Division II Football Task Force in May 2006. The proposed Freedom Division playoff bracket was 16 in size for schools that offered up to 36 scholarships and the Liberty Division playoff bracket had 8 teams for schools that offered up to 18 equivalencies. I can't locate the document online, but it is referenced here.
                      That immediately came to mind for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

It's an interesting concept. I've said for years on here that D2 football is worse than MLB when it comes to the haves and have-nots. It's an incredibly uneven playing field.

Comment

I once overheard a coach telling a recruit that there's really not much difference these days in D3 and D2, but there's a huge difference in D2 and D1-AA / FCS and even bigger difference as compared to D1 / FBS. Really tired of some schools lack of investment (be it a financial hardship, or simply a lack of caring) watering down the higher division perception of Division 2 as compared to Division 3 and NAIA. Just like D1 is split into FCS and FBS, the same should hold true for Division 2 Football.

When an NCAA school is claiming full D2 Football status while only offering a few scholarships as compared to others offering 25 to 36 in the same division, corrections and new standards need to be put into place. This move could also open the door for a potential D2-AA Football Championship for the schools unable to maintain higher D2 standards.

Comment

I have no idea who offers what but do schools who offer a lot of scholarships always win the national championship?

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

In the GNAC footprint of OR and WA, there are 9 DIII schools.
                              Yep. Certainly not two Division III conferences within that geographic footprint.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X