Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio Valley University

Are there any OVU people or simply West Virginia/Ohio people who have any rumors about the future of OVU athletics? I am really curious what the word is around campus, but I doubt there will be much here since they do not have football. I think they are likely to move to D3 or NAIA since they have not announced an move to the MEC, just leaving the GMAC. Anyone have anything?

link to GMAC and OVU announcement: https://www.ovu.edu/gmac-announcement

Maybe OVU will join the Eastern College Athletic Conference like Salem (another small private D2 West Virginia university) did back in 2016. Just a thought.
    Last edited by crixus; 01-04-2021, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post
      Maybe OVU will join the Eastern College Athletic Conference like Salem (another small private D2 West Virginia university) did back in 2016. Just a thought.
      And another former GMAC member if memory serves. Seems like the easiest option for OVU would be to cut sports entirely or to go D3 or NAIA. Cutting entirely would be a big move after that statement though. The School President would look really bad going back on his own statements like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post
        Seems like the easiest option for OVU would be to cut sports entirely
        That would be a bold move considering that student athletes are 60% of their student body.

Comment

Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post

And another former GMAC member if memory serves. Seems like the easiest option for OVU would be to cut sports entirely or to go D3 or NAIA. Cutting entirely would be a big move after that statement though. The School President would look really bad going back on his own statements like that.
          Your memory serves you correctly, Salem was once a GMAC member.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post

That would be a bold move considering that student athletes are 60% of their student body.
            Bold indeed. I don't think OVU will cut the cord on all sports.

Comment

I think the best thing to happen to OVU sports, lately, is getting their own thread on D2Football.com.

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
                I think the best thing to happen to OVU sports, lately, is getting their own thread on D2Football.com.
                You are not wrong. They certainly do not seem to have much in the way of supporters on here anyway.

Comment

To provide an update, it looks like Ohio Valley has decided to go to NAIA in the River States Conference. It makes a lot of sense for them I think. Better geographical fit, more similar programs/schools, comparable competition, and they get to keep sports (which provides a huge chunk of their enrollment).

https://fightingscots.ovu.edu/news/2...er-of-rsc.aspx

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X