Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you prefer Grass or Turf? What are some of the reasons why?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you prefer Grass or Turf? What are some of the reasons why?

Since we still have a long way till football season, I thought I would start a topic up. Do you prefer Grass or Turf? I personally like both for different reasons

Grass

Why I like it:

Nothing beats the look of a great grass field. Looks great when maintained. There seems to be less injuries occur than turf. Cheaper startup costs. Cooler during the hottest parts of the year.

Why I don't:

May not drain as well as a Turf field. If there is heavy rains, you may have to re sod parts of the field after. If your a team that plays a hurry up or faster rate of play, your overall speed will be slower on grass.

Turf

Why I like it:

Looks really good every time. Drains well for schools that play where it rains more, and also looks better than dying grass. You usually can play faster overall than grass. Not as much maintenance.

Why I don't:

So hot to play and practice on. High replacement costs. Can be extra slick when wet, or when there is high humidity.

Why certain schools have should Grass:

If you live in an area where it is fairly warm, medium amount of rain, and have the budget to maintain the grass. If you want to minimize the risk for certain turf related injuries.

Why certain schools should have Turf:

Colder climates, or places where it tends to rain more than normal. You could argue that places where its dryer you would want turf, but that may come down to opinion. You tend to have a faster team than other schools.

I know this is all opinion and speculation. This is all from what I have experienced in my lifetime. Let me know yall's thoughts and what you prefer and why?

Re: Do you prefer Grass or Turf? What are some of the reasons why?

Turf is much harder to smoke.

Comment

Perfect solution: Have a grass field on rollers and a permanent turf field in the stadium. Just roll the grass field over the turf field in bad weather ala AZ Cardinals stadium.

Comment

Which reminds me of this story:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ys/3401135002/

Comment

Originally posted by Mulerider View Post
          Since we still have a long way till football season, I thought I would start a topic up. Do you prefer Grass or Turf? I personally like both for different reasons

Grass

Why I like it:

Nothing beats the look of a great grass field. Looks great when maintained. There seems to be less injuries occur than turf. Cheaper startup costs. Cooler during the hottest parts of the year.

Why I don't:

May not drain as well as a Turf field. If there is heavy rains, you may have to re sod parts of the field after. If your a team that plays a hurry up or faster rate of play, your overall speed will be slower on grass.

Turf

Why I like it:

Looks really good every time. Drains well for schools that play where it rains more, and also looks better than dying grass. You usually can play faster overall than grass. Not as much maintenance.

Why I don't:

So hot to play and practice on. High replacement costs. Can be extra slick when wet, or when there is high humidity.

Why certain schools have should Grass:

If you live in an area where it is fairly warm, medium amount of rain, and have the budget to maintain the grass. If you want to minimize the risk for certain turf related injuries.

Why certain schools should have Turf:

Colder climates, or places where it tends to rain more than normal. You could argue that places where its dryer you would want turf, but that may come down to opinion. You tend to have a faster team than other schools.

I know this is all opinion and speculation. This is all from what I have experienced in my lifetime. Let me know yall's thoughts and what you prefer and why?
          In the South where I live, the best grass for wear and tear is bermuda, which is a warm season grass - so when it gets cold - it turns brown. Artificial does not. Same with droughts if you don't have a good sprinkler system for the real stuff. Turf will outwear ANY grass - so if the field is multiuse, the only choice is turf.

Turf fields, properly installed drain perfectly. To the point where a neighboring grass practice field after rain is over and the hot summer sun comes out is hotter feeling and potentially more dangerous (due to the humidity) than a neighboring turf field, because the latter dries so fast. If there is not recent rain/watering the grass field will be significantly cooler, however.

Injuries on turf depend on which type is installed - stuff like the old astroturf favored for field hockey (not football of course) can have higher injury rates.

Initial cost is high - our local high school 1.5 years ago replaced their football stadium field with a version of turf which uses cork instead of rubber particles in between the grass blades. Maybe $850,000 if I remember right. But replacement generally not quite as expensive (and can be anywhere from 8-12 years or so depending on how much use the field gets) as the underlying structure should be intact...

And one final thing - you can sew in lines, and never have to paint...

Comment

I never smoked turf. Can't compare it to grass.

Comment

Used to do some TV with an NFL HOFer he said he preferred Field Turf, said it gave him better footing when dry or wet. Yet he spent his entire career playing home games on the real stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFromMI View Post
                In the South where I live, the best grass for wear and tear is bermuda, which is a warm season grass - so when it gets cold - it turns brown. Artificial does not. Same with droughts if you don't have a good sprinkler system for the real stuff. Turf will outwear ANY grass - so if the field is multiuse, the only choice is turf.

Turf fields, properly installed drain perfectly. To the point where a neighboring grass practice field after rain is over and the hot summer sun comes out is hotter feeling and potentially more dangerous (due to the humidity) than a neighboring turf field, because the latter dries so fast. If there is not recent rain/watering the grass field will be significantly cooler, however.

Injuries on turf depend on which type is installed - stuff like the old astroturf favored for field hockey (not football of course) can have higher injury rates.

Initial cost is high - our local high school 1.5 years ago replaced their football stadium field with a version of turf which uses cork instead of rubber particles in between the grass blades. Maybe $850,000 if I remember right. But replacement generally not quite as expensive (and can be anywhere from 8-12 years or so depending on how much use the field gets) as the underlying structure should be intact...

And one final thing - you can sew in lines, and never have to paint...

Comment

Another question I have. Is there any technologies to make turf cooler to play on as far as temperature goes? I understand sometimes players need to toughen up, but where its 100% humidity and high 90's safety becomes a factor.

Comment

Another question I have. Is there any technologies to make turf cooler to play on as far as temperature goes? I understand sometimes players need to toughen up, but where its 100% humidity and high 90's safety becomes a factor.
                    https://www.shawsportsturf.com/hydrochill/

I remember hearing about the University of Maryland installing new field turf with some sort of cooling technology not too long ago. This was one of the first things that came up in a Google search on the topic.

Comment

http://www.matrix-turf.com/products/infills/geo-plus/

This is what our local high school installed last summer. The interview with the attached video has a coach at another area high school which got a similar turf a couple of years ago.

Comment

At GVSU they practice for the most part on grass fields. They have two grass fields and they also use the stadium at times for practice which is turf as is the indoor Kelly Family facility field. Grass is easier on the joints for sure. Taking care of the grass fields is a lot of work but worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post
                          https://www.shawsportsturf.com/hydrochill/

I remember hearing about the University of Maryland installing new field turf with some sort of cooling technology not too long ago. This was one of the first things that came up in a Google search on the topic.
                          That's probably the one school that doesn't need cooling technology. It looks like the technology would not be a good fit for a dry place.

Comment

Football was meant to be played on grass, but turf is getting better and better. We are the only school in the conference with grass.

Comment

That's probably the one school that doesn't need cooling technology. It looks like the technology would not be a good fit for a dry place.
                              Dry weather in Maryland? HA! I can tell you from 33 years of firsthand experience. Summertime humidity in the DC/Baltimore region is an absolute heartless B****. It's sucks playing football in Maryland during late August & early September. Then the temps take a hard dip in mid October lol

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X