Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

I don't care if they're rock or rap, for me, lip syncing has no legit reason. Prince, Gaga, Bruce, KatyP, didn't. If they can't be trusted, they shouldn't be on the stage. And there's a cough button with the bcast delay, so I'm not buying the potential free reign lyric issue.

And funny that you brought up the Peas.. I was really looking forward to them. The show was good, but singing/pitch was off (no lipsynch there. LOL) Initially I thought it was horrid. I did just listen to it again just before this year's SB and though it sounded a bit better, most of the singing was still off. I wonder why, since I've heard them perform live elsewhere and they were solid. Go Figure.
    I think for rock bands it is more about all the cords they need and amplifiers and the time to set up and break down the show. I found a good article on it: https://suindependent.com/dixie-cotton-mission/

I know that I personally for example would hate to do a sound check, have the stage taken down and possibility of knobs being hit, then going live and either not hearing myself, having myself too loud, or worse having it so the balance of everything is off for the crowd..

Comment

I don't care if they're rock or rap, for me, lip syncing has no legit reason. Prince, Gaga, Bruce, KatyP, didn't. If they can't be trusted, they shouldn't be on the stage. And there's a cough button with the bcast delay, so I'm not buying the potential free reign lyric issue.

And funny that you brought up the Peas.. I was really looking forward to them. The show was good, but singing/pitch was off (no lipsynch there. LOL) Initially I thought it was horrid. I did just listen to it again just before this year's SB and though it sounded a bit better, most of the singing was still off. I wonder why, since I've heard them perform live elsewhere and they were solid. Go Figure.
      Speaking of Bruce Springsteen, saw him in the Jeep commercial during SB and then later on the news, and to me, it looks as though he's aged around 35+ years or so since his 2009 halftime performance. Maybe the ole born to run fountain of youth has been running on empty.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

I think for rock bands it is more about all the cords they need and amplifiers and the time to set up and break down the show. I found a good article on it: https://suindependent.com/dixie-cotton-mission/

I know that I personally for example would hate to do a sound check, have the stage taken down and possibility of knobs being hit, then going live and either not hearing myself, having myself too loud, or worse having it so the balance of everything is off for the crowd..
        I plead complete ignorance with that detail, so I'll defer. But IMO, that shouldn't apply to voices. Though the BEP's seemed to have voice issues... maybe they couldn't hear it through their earpieces? Still, Stones, Estreet, Prince, etc, all played live. Even Aeorsmith back in 01.

Comment

I plead complete ignorance with that detail, so I'll defer. But IMO, that shouldn't apply to voices. Though the BEP's seemed to have voice issues... maybe they couldn't hear it through their earpieces? Still, Stones, Estreet, Prince, etc, all played live. Even Aeorsmith back in 01.
          If it is raining I can see it with the possibility of water getting into a mic. The mention of Red Hot Chili Peppers showing their instruments unplugged I thought was great.

Comment

I think you nailed it. Talent should be appreciated. I admit though, some of these performers I suspect do have talent, but then I see lip-syncing. It's not most of the SB performances, but some of them. Sorry, if you're on on of THE biggest stages, I expect live.. actually darn near demand live.

As for ranking the SB performances, I have to give a shout to the Aerosmith, Nsync, etc. It was just fun and a pretty good mix of genres. It was just a feel good show. Not saying it was my top, but near it for me. I think it was 2001.
            We are in total agreement there. I don't like lip syncing regardless of who is doing it. For these types of shows, I'd suspect that decision is made well above the paygrade of the performer - but it's still pretty bad.

Comment

Just speculation on my end - I think it's done so show organizers can "control" the performance as much as possible. We're essentially watching a live-action commercial in real-time.

It's not an excuse, I don't like it regardless. It would be like watching a game of football and the ball is CGI. That would not be fun. I just happen to think that's *why* they do it.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Just speculation on my end - I think it's done so show organizers can "control" the performance as much as possible. We're essentially watching a live-action commercial in real-time.

It's not an excuse, I don't like it regardless. It would be like watching a game of football and the ball is CGI. That would not be fun. I just happen to think that's *why* they do it.
                The part about set up and take down makes a lot of sense to me. With all of the platforms that are rolled out you could in theory set it up, but what if a battery or generator doesn't work? Do you risk that for a live performance and replace it if needed, or go with pre-recorded for the television time. Just think about how the power went out at the Super Bowl in New Orleans and how it effected things and with all the moving pieces in getting the platforms out there I can see why they don't worry about that or a generator having enough power for lights and instruments, amps, monitors, etc...

The other thing, I'm sure it really helps musicians with transitions into new songs so that they always sound right. Bands really don't have the time to swap guitars for example while the lead singer talks to the crowd and fills time for them to do it.

Comment

I believe Justin Timberlake's self publicity stunt which changed the way halftime shows are now conducted, should have permanently disqualified him from any future halftime performance.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X