Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UNA_Texan View Post
    Re: XFL 2020

It is listed as endangered by the National Historic Trust, and there is a Plaque noting it to be a Texas Historic site. These, along with other organizations may keep people donating to the preservation fund. But, they do not prevent the eventual demolition. $105 million has been raised to try to make it into something useful.
    Make a nice Thunderdome when civilization collapses.

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
      Joe Horn of MWSU on the NY Guardians.
      Isn't he like 50?

Too bad his son, Jr, isn't playing instead.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Here's the D-II guys I could find after looking over the rosters real quick.

Dallas
        WR Joshua Crockett - Central Oklahoma
        WR Freddie Martino - North Greenville
        CB Donatello Brown - Valdosta State
        CB Dashaun Phillips - Tarleton State
        S Doyin Jibowu - Fort Hays

D.C.
        WR Tyler Palka - Gannon (he also played QB at Saginaw Valley)
        TE Khari Lee - Bowie State

Houston
        WR Sam Mobley - Catawba
        K Sergio Castillo - West Texas A&M
        CB Jeremiah Johnson - Concord
        LB Edmond Robinson - Newberry
        DL Caushaud Lyons - Tusculum
        DE Johnny Maxey - Mars Hill

Los Angeles
        LB Willie Mays - Tiffin

New York
        WR Joe Horn - Missouri Western
        QB Luis Perez - Texas A&M-Commerce
        CB DeJuan Neal - Shepherd

St. Louis
        P Marquette King - Fort Valley
        DB Harold Jones-Quartey - Findlay
        OG Michael Miller - Washburn
        OG Brian Folkerts - Washburn

Seattle
        RB Ja'Quan Gardner - Humboldt State

Tampa Bay
        WR Seantavius Jones - Valdosta State
        WR Jalen Tolliver - Arkansas-Monticello
        WR Reece Horn - Indianapolis
        I see a reason for GNAC fans to follow Seattle. Hopefully he can turn this into a good career after what the school did to the program. It is also great to see so many D2 players at the skill positions and not just o-line or d-line.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

I see a reason for GNAC fans to follow Seattle. Hopefully he can turn this into a good career after what the school did to the program. It is also great to see so many D2 players at the skill positions and not just o-line or d-line.
          It's great for the couple of hundred of people in the area that care about D2 to see so many D2 guys at skill positions. What it means as far as the big picture is concerned is that the league won't be around for very long.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

No. As I said Houstonians love the place. They could have used it for the soccer team, but I guess the liberal politicians didn't feel that would be right, so of course another new stadium was built. Cost is no object as long as others are paying the bills.
            My understanding is that the Astrodome costs the taxpayers millions a year to keep up.

So much for the whole "fiscal conservative" angle the right-wingers who run that state like to toss out there every now and again.

How about we leave the politics out of a thread that doesn't need them, shall we?

Comment

XFL season starts today at 2ET on ABC.

https://www.xfl.com

Comment

Will definitely watch a little bit today.. hoping this league will succeed!

Comment

I'm going to the LA vs Houston game. I got a couple of free tickets from Sergio Castillo, also from WT, who is the kicker.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

No. As I said Houstonians love the place. They could have used it for the soccer team, but I guess the liberal politicians didn't feel that would be right, so of course another new stadium was built. Cost is no object as long as others are paying the bills.
                    Wouldn't be a good stadium for soccer. Most MLS stadiums are smaller and closer to the action, seating 20-30k I'd guess, not 60k+. You sound like a snowflake.

Comment

The XFL game in Houston had a little under 18K in attendance. I liked the extra point rules, but I thought the kickoff penalty was absurdly high for kicking the ball out of bounds. The kicker kicks off from the 30, so when the ball goes out of bounds untouched, the receiving team gets it 15 yards from the spot of kicking, or in this case the opponents 45 yard line. Luckily for the Houston Roughnecks the LA team had 2 consecutive delay of game penalties at the end of the half. Those come with a 10 second runoff so on the second one the half ended. They were in position for an easy field goal, but didn't score again. Houston won 37-17.

The XFL made some other rule changes designed to make the game shorter, but it was still 3 hours. There seemed to be an excessive number of TV timeouts.

The stadium was U of Houston TDECU, which is in very good shape. The Roughnecks had their names all over the field and the stadium. They ran out of beer and some food but I didn't want to buy either.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Going to be another failure of a league if it is nothing but fringe NFL players. Again - nobody wants to watch Zach Mettenberger vs Chris Simms.
                        You're probably right, but I would like to see them succeed. There are lot good players who didn't make the 56 team roster. They said the same thing about the A.F.L.

"The AFL began"
                        <>

Comment

I just want to say that I really like the XFL's kickoff rules. Kickoffs are BY FAR the most dangerous type of play at all levels of football, and making them safer will have an outsize impact on injuries.

Comment

I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm also holding my breath. This league seems to be on more stable ground than the original one, but some parts of it still seem too gimmicky.

The NFL stadiums were unnecessary, showing the play calls is kinda dumb too. At least they aren't forcing players and coaches to cut shoot promos on the sidelines...

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. Best of luck, Vince.

Comment

Originally posted by Mk63NuclearBomb View Post
                              I just want to say that I really like the XFL's kickoff rules. Kickoffs are BY FAR the most dangerous type of play at all levels of football, and making them safer will have an outsize impact on injuries.
                              I am loving the kickoffs. They found a way to make the game safer and add some excitement to a very boring part of the game all at once.

It does virtually eliminate on-side kicks, but that's fine. Can't win 'em all.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I am loving the kickoffs. They found a way to make the game safer and add some excitement to a very boring part of the game all at once.

It does virtually eliminate on-side kicks, but that's fine. Can't win 'em all.

Good short article on the first games. 17K ++ is pretty decent for 1st games.
                                I like the idea, after a TD you can go for 1,2 or 3 points. Makes for some interesting strategy.

Did not know there are no field goals. As the writer says; "I never liked the idea of kicker deciding the outcome of a game."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rst-two-games/

There are some pretty interesting rules which could give the game a lift, from some of stale rules of NFL.
                                If I went to a game, I buy as much memorabilia as I could. You could say; "Yeah I was at the first game, before
                                they became the; 'Seattle Hashhead or whatever. TV will make or break this enterprise.

https://www.xfl.com/rules

Last edited by Wide_Right; 02-09-2020, 04:18 PM.
                                <>

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X