Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluefield State announces restart of football, sets 2021 schedule

https://go-bstate.com/general/2020-2...20210408hvxr1w

Interesting. They are a fairly mixed bag of NAIA, D2 and D3 opponents. I really wonder what there long term goals are for a conference. If the want the focus on the HBCU route, they could end up in the SIAC, or they go with the geography and end up in the MEC. Hope it works out for them either way.

Comment

If they go the HBCU conference route, I think rejoining the CIAA would be the best fit for them.

Comment

We shall see. As of this fall, Conference Carolinas has 5 members with football. I'm not sure that BSC is a likely 6th, but if CC does get a 6th and begins sponsorship, it'll shake up the landscape.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
          We shall see. As of this fall, Conference Carolinas has 5 members with football. I'm not sure that BSC is a likely 6th, but if CC does get a 6th and begins sponsorship, it'll shake up the landscape.
          I have to think that Conference Carolinas seem those 5 football schools and is actively trying to figure out a way to start sponsoring by finding a football only member or something like that. It really could shake up the regions for the playoff spots.

Comment

Fun fact: 5 full members with football is more than the GNAC has ever had.

Comment

They have a real nice stadium, holds about 10,000.

https://www.smokingmusket.com/2019/1...-west-virginia

Comment

I know of Barton (IND - scheduling alliance with SAC), Chowan (CIAA), Erskine (IND) and North Greenville (GSC), but who else in Conference Carolinas sponsors football? If you were thinking of Limestone, then they're a full member of the SAC as of a couple of years ago.

That said, Bluefield State, to me, seems like a better fit for the CIAA than the SIAC or Conference Carolinas in the long run. Presuming CC ends up getting Chowan to move their football program into their league, that leaves an opening in the CIAA for Bluefield State.
                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

I know of Barton (IND - scheduling alliance with SAC), Chowan (CIAA), Erskine (IND) and North Greenville (GSC), but who else in Conference Carolinas sponsors football? If you were thinking of Limestone, then they're a full member of the SAC as of a couple of years ago.

That said, Bluefield State, to me, seems like a better fit for the CIAA than the SIAC or Conference Carolinas in the long run. Presuming CC ends up getting Chowan to move their football program into their league, that leaves an opening in the CIAA for Bluefield State.
                  UNC Pembroke is the fifth. They join this fall.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing ctrabs74

Comment

I think the natural fit is MEC for Bluefield State, and they are a formerly WVIAC member if I remember correctly. I could see them end up in the MEC, Conference Carolinas adding football by either outright conference expansion or some sort of football only member like UNC-Pembroke currently is in the MEC. The simplest approach would be to work with a NAIA school or two within the footprint and help them transition to D2.

Comment

UNC Pembroke is the fifth. They join this fall.
                        Wow... I didn't even realize that UNCP was moving to Conference Carolinas (though, for now, football is staying in the MEC)... I guess that shows how disconnected I've been from the D2 scene lately.

Wasn't Mount Olive rumored to be starting football in the near future, or was I thinking of a different school?

Comment

Wow... I didn't even realize that UNCP was moving to Conference Carolinas (though, for now, football is staying in the MEC)... I guess that shows how disconnected I've been from the D2 scene lately.

Wasn't Mount Olive rumored to be starting football in the near future, or was I thinking of a different school?
                          I don't recall. Of course Anderson is adding it, but they've been in the SAC for a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post
                            I think the natural fit is MEC for Bluefield State, and they are a formerly WVIAC member if I remember correctly. I could see them end up in the MEC, Conference Carolinas adding football by either outright conference expansion or some sort of football only member like UNC-Pembroke currently is in the MEC. The simplest approach would be to work with a NAIA school or two within the footprint and help them transition to D2.
                            If/when Conference Carolinas launches their own football league, Bluefield State might end up replacing UNCP in the MEC, but we'll see what happens.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X