Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Tennessee State to study feasibility of ice hockey

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...s-women-hockey

I will never understand the thinking behind the urge to take up sports that are non-traditional and expensive. The Tigers don't have soccer, baseball, swimming, wrestling or field hockey but feel the need to take up a sport that requires special facilities and costly equipment. Although the Preds have sparked some interest, I suspect the average teen-ager in central Tennessee has minimal knowledge of or interest in this least popular of professional or college sports. Maybe as a club sport but at the D1 level I'd say don't waste the time and money.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

I will never understand the thinking behind the urge to take up sports that are non-traditional and expensive. The Tigers don't have soccer, baseball, swimming, wrestling or field hockey but feel the need to take up a sport that requires special facilities and costly equipment. Although the Preds have sparked some interest, I suspect the average teen-ager in central Tennessee has minimal knowledge of or interest in this least popular of professional or college sports. Maybe as a club sport but at the D1 level I'd say don't waste the time and money.
      You make the same relative argument about the NHL expanding to Texas, Florida, Arizona, and Tennessee.
      Last edited by njmav1; 05-23-2021, 09:17 AM.

Comment

IMO it is because the school/s that go to 'outside the box' sports don't believe they could compete with other programs for recruits in the 'base' sports. They're trying to find a niche that will increase enrollment and donations. Also, if successful, a higher profile.

As an example (kinda) UN-Omaha went D-1 to highlight a hockey program at the cost of wrestling and football. UNO would never compete for headlines in Nebraska for football due to the Huskers; therefore, go to a niche sport you can call your own.

Comment

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

You make the same relative argument about the NHL expanding to Texas, Florida, Arizona, and Tennessee.
          Pro teams basically have the financial basis for their expansion and can create an audience. Women's D1 hockey has 5 leagues ( 4 in NE, 1 in Upper Midwest) so other than intrasquad scrimmages actual games are going to be hard to come by.

Comment

Originally posted by badboyblynn View Post

IMO it is because the school/s that go to 'outside the box' sports don't believe they could compete with other programs for recruits in the 'base' sports. They're trying to find a niche that will increase enrollment and donations. Also, if successful, a higher profile.

As an example (kinda) UN-Omaha went D-1 to highlight a hockey program at the cost of wrestling and football. UNO would never compete for headlines in Nebraska for football due to the Huskers; therefore, go to a niche sport you can call your own.
            How about an increasingly popular sport that requires nominal equipment expenditures, can be played with existing facilities and is easily understood by newbie fans.....lacrosse. Although the TSU Tigers play in the Ohio Valley Conference, the nearby Big South sponsors both M&W lacrosse.

Comment

Pro teams basically have the financial basis for their expansion and can create an audience. Women's D1 hockey has 5 leagues ( 4 in NE, 1 in Upper Midwest) so other than intrasquad scrimmages actual games are going to be hard to come by.
              You missed the point altogether. The NHL went against conventional wisdom and expanded to non-traditional areas.

While the points you make are valid, they're conventional arguments. If a school like Tennessee State wants to explore adding D1 ice hockey, they can't (and likely won't) rely on a conventional strategy.

Comment

It honestly is a great move, brings diversity to the HBCU as well as introduces a non-traditional sport into the university population. Imagine the press the university would receive if it somehow became the first HBCU to have a player drafted and play in the NHL. Yes it's expensive to fund and comes with great risk of failure but if successful with landing donations from alumni, this could be a home run for the university. Black and Brown boys don't just have to pick up a football, baseball or football, ice hockey could be a sport they learn to love and play as well with the right opportunity.

Comment

Good for them, I hope they are successful. I've been wanting to see college hockey expand down south for the better part of a decade.

Comment

It makes sense really. They would just play at the Ford Ice Center Bellevue. Vandy already plays here. No building anything really. Just get a retired coach to start up the program and get some localish guys to play.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
                      It honestly is a great move, brings diversity to the HBCU as well as introduces a non-traditional sport into the university population. Imagine the press the university would receive if it somehow became the first HBCU to have a player drafted and play in the NHL. Yes it's expensive to fund and comes with great risk of failure but if successful with landing donations from alumni, this could be a home run for the university. Black and Brown boys don't just have to pick up a football, baseball or football, ice hockey could be a sport they learn to love and play as well with the right opportunity.
                      IMO, the fact of TSU as an HBCU has nothing to do with it. Any school especially a state university that takes on the an incredible uphill battle in the current economic climate is really not doing their job. Considering the likelihood that the diversity that hockey will draw to the campus will be an all white hockey team, the first Tiger to reach the NHL could turn out to be a somewhat ironic milestone.

Comment

One final bit of reality about D1 college hockey....Robert Morris University is dropping hockey. The university and it's team are located in a true hockey hot spot, Pittsburgh. The Colonials are 188-150-37 in the last ten years as members of the Atlantic Hockey League which features some solid programs like Army, Holy Cross and Canisius. And about two months ago they hosted The Frozen Four !!! The reason per RMU admin is "a new strategy as they head into their 100th anniversary year". Read that as they want to spend their $$$ elsewhere. If a well established program such as this can not garner the support to continue, it's beyond me why TSU in the hockey desert of Tennessee, in it's wildest dreams, thinks this is in any way viable. But I'm real old so who knows.

Comment

One final bit of reality about D1 college hockey....Robert Morris University is dropping hockey. The university and it's team are located in a true hockey hot spot, Pittsburgh. The Colonials are 188-150-37 in the last ten years as members of the Atlantic Hockey League which features some solid programs like Army, Holy Cross and Canisius. And about two months ago they hosted The Frozen Four !!! The reason per RMU admin is "a new strategy as they head into their 100th anniversary year". Read that as they want to spend their $$$ elsewhere. If a well established program such as this can not garner the support to continue, it's beyond me why TSU in the hockey desert of Tennessee, in it's wildest dreams, thinks this is in any way viable. But I'm real old so who knows.
                          RMU Charts Strategic Course Headed into its Centennial Year | Robert Morris University

Comment

There is one issue with this move. It will leave RMU with only 5 men's sports, so they will have to replace hockey or keep it. Or join D2, maybe the Mountain East. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

There is one issue with this move. It will leave RMU with only 5 men's sports, so they will have to replace hockey or keep it. Or join D2, maybe the Mountain East. :)
                              They just joined the Horizon so I doubt if they will drop down. I'd start baseball.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X