Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCOTUS NCAA Ruling

What will this do to DII football/basketball etc?

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
    My guess is this will have little or no effect on D2/3 since the powers that be, NCAA/POWER 5, don't really consider them as true collegiate sports. D1 on the other hand is going to be chaos unless or until the rules for paying the athletes can be established. My guess is that unless the pro leagues kick in some funding, a number of successful private institutions are going to be up against it competing with mega state schools in hotbed states in FB and BB. Also look for minor sports to be cut back everywhere. Won't be a pretty picture.

Comment

Last edited by NWFanatic; 06-21-2021, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
        Just another problem for D2. If I read this correctly that borderline D2 players will now have the incentive to go D1 in hopes of getting "Paid"
        The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

I heard compensation like "a laptop" could now be given. If a school or booster club sees that they have funds to provide electronics that would enhance the productivity of players, perhaps we would see that at D2 level. The money has to be offered, but now is less constrained.

Comment

I would say yes. Just as there needs to be "equitity" in the number of scholarships, there will need to be "equity" in financial compensation.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

My guess is this will have little or no effect on D2/3 since the powers that be, NCAA/POWER 5, don't really consider them as true collegiate sports. D1 on the other hand is going to be chaos unless or until the rules for paying the athletes can be established. My guess is that unless the pro leagues kick in some funding, a number of successful private institutions are going to be up against it competing with mega state schools in hotbed states in FB and BB. Also look for minor sports to be cut back everywhere. Won't be a pretty picture.
              Doesn't really matter what the NCAA or Power 5 think of them. The Supreme Court neutered the NCAA yesterday. If D2 and D3 schools want to pay players and have the $$ to do so, they will. And don't think for a minute that they aren't going to get paid at these levels - they will. There are PLENTY of D2 and D3 schools that have LOTS of $$$, especially the private schools, that will have no problem paying athletes if they so choose. Not an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I would say yes. Just as there needs to be "equitity" in the number of scholarships, there will need to be "equity" in financial compensation.
                Disagree. The Supreme Court just said that free markets reign. There will be no restraint of trade based on income inequality, gender, etc. All of that stuff is TOAST. The star QB or point guard is going to get PAID. It doesn't matter what little suzy on the tennis team is doing.

Comment

Bad guess. Doesn't really matter what the NCAA or Power 5 think of them. The Supreme Court neutered the NCAA yesterday. If D2 and D3 schools want to pay players and have the $$ to do so, they will. And don't think for a minute that they aren't going to get paid at these levels - they will. There are PLENTY of D2 and D3 schools that have LOTS of $$$, especially the private schools, that will have no problem paying athletes if they so choose. Not an issue.

The rich private schools are the big winners here, regardless of division. Think SMU, TCU, Notre Dame, USC, Rice, even Trinity of Texas. These private schools have the dough to spend everyone into oblivion if they so choose by paying players.

It's a whole new ball game boys!

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

Disagree. The Supreme Court just said that free markets reign. There will be no restraint of trade based on income inequality, gender, etc. All of that stuff is TOAST. The star QB or point guard is going to get PAID. It doesn't matter what little suzy on the tennis team is doing.
                    Title Nine, at least the parts that deal with gender equality in athletics, runs counter to the free market. It would be interesting to see the verbal gymnastics that would need to be done to say you must have an equal number of scholarships and spend equal amounts on women's athletic programs BUUUTTT you must pay male football and basketball players but don't have to pay female athletes.

Comment

IMO, you're reading too much into the decision. The current SCOTUS has made many decisions along very narrow lines which is why decisions are coming down 9-0, 7-2, etc. On any given day these justices couldn't agree on anything approximating broad principles. I will be very surprised if the NCAA simply folds up and goes away. Free agency in pro sports has altered the landscape but rules still apply. In the long run it is in the interest of all involved to restructure the scholarship/compensation plan rather than sliding into chaos. Curiously I could see the creation of a college sports organization, run parallel to the NCAA, that would be established with no compensation of any sort available more in line with the original premise of amateur sports.

Comment

IMO, you're reading too much into the decision. The current SCOTUS has made many decisions along very narrow lines which is why decisions are coming down 9-0, 7-2, etc. On any given day these justices couldn't agree on anything approximating broad principles. I will be very surprised if the NCAA simply folds up and goes away. Free agency in pro sports has altered the landscape but rules still apply. In the long run it is in the interest of all involved to restructure the scholarship/compensation plan rather than sliding into chaos. Curiously I could see the creation of a college sports organization, run parallel to the NCAA, that would be established with no compensation of any sort available more in line with the original premise of amateur sports.
                        The NCAA isn't going to fold and go away, but its ability to govern compensation is GONE. Sliding into chaos is capitalism. There aren't going to be new organizations to try to stave it off. The NCAA is in no position to keep going back to the courts to protest a booster offering a free car to a recruit. The SC' statement was broad and condemning of the NCAA. It's a whole new ball game. In a free market economy, there are no rules on compensation. That's where we are now it, effective today. Get used to it. It will sort out.

Comment

The NCAA isn't going to fold and go away, but its ability to govern compensation is GONE. Sliding into chaos is capitalism. There aren't going to be new organizations to try to stave it off. The NCAA is in no position to keep going back to the courts to protest a booster offering a free car to a recruit. The SC' statement was broad and condemning of the NCAA. It's a whole new ball game. In a free market economy, there are no rules on compensation. That's where we are now it, effective today. Get used to it. It will sort out.
                          You have an extreme view of capitalism. There are a lot of laws concerning compensation including but not limited to EEO, taxation and bribery. The coaches who lost their jobs in the admissions scandals will vouch for that. Some universities will follow your interpretation and pay off whoever it takes to win at all costs. I don't believe they're the majority but I could be wrong. Hope not but time will tell.

Comment

You have an extreme view of capitalism. There are a lot of laws concerning compensation including but not limited to EEO, taxation and bribery. The coaches who lost their jobs in the admissions scandals will vouch for that. Some universities will follow your interpretation and pay off whoever it takes to win at all costs. I don't believe they're the majority but I could be wrong. Hope not but time will tell.
                            EEO doesn't dictate how top performers are compensated. Taxation is the athlete's responsibility. Bribery is perfectly legal, unless money or favor given or promised in order to influence the judgment or conduct of a person in a position of trust, particularly fiduciary trust. That's not in play here.

Whichever universities pay the most will be getting the best athletes and winning the most. Regardless of division, enrollment, stadium size, fan base. Show me the money.

That's just the way capitalism works.

Comment

EEO doesn't dictate how top performers are compensated. Taxation is the athlete's responsibility. Bribery is perfectly legal, unless money or favor given or promised in order to influence the judgment or conduct of a person in a position of trust, particularly fiduciary trust. That's not in play here.

Whichever universities pay the most will be getting the best athletes and winning the most. Regardless of division, enrollment, stadium size, fan base. Show me the money.

That's just the way capitalism works.
                              But if the top track athlete believes he should be paid as much as the QB there will at the very least be issues eventually moving toward litigation. And don't even think of paying the top WBB player less than the top MBB player. The only winners here are the lawyers and agents. I foresee a whole field of law.....and a need to add judges.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X