Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This year's Olympics, will you be watching?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This year's Olympic viewership has plummeted. People are tuning out the games (and new commercials) in droves.

What a huge difference a year or 2 can make.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
      This year's Olympic viewership has plummeted. People are tuning out the games (and new commercials) in droves.

Don't know where the stats may be found but I would like to see the "normal" viewer variation for Western hemisphere (N & S AMERICA, EUROPE) versus Eastern hemisphere ( ASIA, AUSTRALIA). Stat nerd's help appreciated.

Comment

The cable here was down for nearly 24 hours and I was jonesin' for my Olympics fix. When the TV finally did come back up the first thing I did was tune in to the Olympics. I was bummed out that I missed the USA vs South Africa rugby match. I'm one of those people who look forward to the Olympics and try to watch as much of it as I can. USA baby!
        Last edited by crixus; 07-27-2021, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

There are some good ones in Sweeden as well. It's a nice place to go sight seeing.

You might check out the movie Copenhagen.
          I took the train from Copenhagen over that really long bridge (I think it's 8 miles) to Malmo, Sweden. I wasn't aware of a movie called Copenhagen, so thanks for the tip. I used to travel a lot before Covid-19 hit. But I haven't been outside of California for a year and a half now. And my passport expired earlier this month. I'm going to wait until this pandemic is behind us before I renew it. California's a big state with a lot to see, so I'll stick around here for the time being.

Here's a photo I took in Copenhagen, Denmark and there's one from Malmo, Sweden below it. There were lot of new buildings going up in Malmo back in 2014.

Last edited by crixus; 07-27-2021, 05:05 AM.

Comment

My alma mater (San Jose State) has 6 Olympians from 5 countries - Canada, Mexico, Australia (Softball) and Spain (Water Polo), including 2 from the USA (Track & Field and Judo). I just wanted to give them kudos for their accomplishments.

?
            Last edited by crixus; 07-27-2021, 06:15 AM.

Comment

I don't believe that to be a negative for the Olympics, though. It is a 13-hour time difference. So mostly everything is taking place between midnight and 10 AM Eastern in America, live. There's not much use in watching the primetime stuff on NBC when it's all over the internet was already happened.

The other thing is that because of the delay, it really feels like the hype wasn't there like it was in the past. Previously, you'd be bombarded with Olympics commercials, and "sponsor of the USA Olympic Team" type ads. I didn't see very many of those this year, and I think it's because of the uncertainty of whether the games were even going to happen. Of course, this is all on top of what is probably just a lack of interest because of the world in general still being in the midst of a pandemic. Just a lot of things going on that take away from it.

I don't think it will be any better in six months for the winter Olympics, either. I think 2024 will be relatively normal.....hopefully....
              2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

It's sad that the Japanese spent so much money on spectator facilities that have no spectators.

I watched the 3 on 3 basketball and the water polo, both for ladies. Later there were people riding skate boards down hand rails on to concrete, where some of them crashed. They were interesting, but I don't really think they fit with the Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

I took the train from Copenhagen over that really long bridge (I think it's 8 miles) to Malmo, Sweden. I wasn't aware of a movie called Copenhagen, so thanks for the tip. I used to travel a lot before Covid-19 hit. But I haven't been outside of California for a year and a half now. And my passport expired earlier this month. I'm going to wait until this pandemic is behind us before I renew it. California's a big state with a lot to see, so I'll stick around here for the time being.

Here's a photo I took in Copenhagen, Denmark and there's one from Malmo, Sweden below it. There were lot of new buildings going up in Malmo back in 2014.

The photo didn't post. Generally you have to use a link.

You can find the movie on Amazon, it was only about $5 to buy it online, whereas the Blue Ray is selling for $50. You will either like it or you won't but watch the entire movie. The male lead is highly irritating for most of the movie, but he comes around. Also the main actress was 20 when the movie was made, though she portrays a younger girl. It's unlike American movies.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

The photo didn't post. Generally you have to use a link.

You can find the movie on Amazon, it was only about $5 to buy it online, whereas the Blue Ray is selling for $50. You will either like it or you won't but watch the entire movie. The male lead is highly irritating for most of the movie, but he comes around. Also the main actress was 20 when the movie was made, though she portrays a younger girl. It's unlike American movies.
                    Are you talking about your photo? I can see the ones I copied and pasted above. I looked up the Copenhagen movie on Wikipedia and it looks very interesting. I'll buy it on Amazon. Thank you.
                    Last edited by crixus; 07-27-2021, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

Are you talking about your photo? I can see the ones I copied and pasted above. I looked up the Copenhagen movie on Wikipedia and it looks very interesting. I'll buy in on Amazon. Thank you.
                      The Spartans in Tokyo is fine, but I cannot see the other one. Maybe it's my browser, Chrome.

You might want to read the reviews for Copenhagen before you buy. A lot of people hated it, but most of those only watched part of the movie. I walked down a lot of those same streets, and my ship was docked near the Little Mermaid, so it seemed quite familiar to me. I walked over to Tivoli, but decided it was too expensive for what it looked like.
                      Last edited by WT_TKW; 07-27-2021, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Women's soccer:semifinals

Canada 1 USA 0

Sweden 1 Australia 0

Comment

Kinda wild seeing three people I've met in the past all on an Olympic podium at once - and none of them were Nyjah Huston (even more weird). I didn't end up watching the street competition like I'd hoped too though. The format is kinda stupid - the heats are full runs, and the final is best trick on the big rail? Why mess with the format? Anyway, it was neat seeing Japan take gold at both men's and women's competitions.

An interesting note - Rune Glifberg, who some may recall from the original Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (released in 1999), is competing in the park competition. At 46 years old, he's 33 years older than the youngest skateboard competitors at the Olympics. Kinda cool how such a large age range can participate.

Comment

I've watched exactly zero of the olympics thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                              Women's soccer:semifinals

Canada 1 USA 0

Sweden 1 Australia 0

No surprise.

Comment

Yeah I will watch the open ceremonies and the first few days of it and then tune back in towards the last couple of days and closing ceremonies. I wish they would go back to where both the winter and summer Olympics were together in the same year every 4 years.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X