Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

If I remember right, that was an absolute mess - I think they went down to D3, then D2, and finally decided to be D1 and change conferences.
    The school was still struggling after Katrina.

UNO's athletic teams participated in NCAA Division II from 1969 to 1975 before moving to Division I and becoming a charter member of the Sun Belt Conference. In December 2009, the LSU Board approved a proposal from UNO to move its athletic program from Division I to Division III following a drop in enrollment and associated budget cuts following Hurricane Katrina. The school submitted an application in May 2010 and in June 2010, received initial approval from the NCAA Division III Membership Committee to move forward with its transition. The school originally announced that it intended to add football, along with women's golf and women's soccer as part of the transition to NCAA Division III.

UNO left the Sun Belt on June 30, 2010 and competed as an NCAA Division I Independent in all sports during the 2010-11 academic year as part of the transition from Division I. Following the findings of the financial analysis and institutional research, the LSU Board of Supervisors meetings approved the move down from Division I to Division II instead of Division III. UNO was placed on the NCAA Division II Membership Committee spring agenda, to compete in Division II sports. The Privateers added women's golf, men's cross country and women's cross country to reach Division II's minimum requirement of 10 sports. UNO was to begin playing at the Division II level and competing as an independent team during the provisional 2011-12 academic year before becoming a full member of Division II and member of the Gulf South Conference in 2012-13.

On March 7, 2012, however, UNO President Dr. Peter Fos announced that UNO would remain in Division I. On August 21, 2012, UNO announced that it would be joining the Southland Conference, effective the 2013-2014 academic year.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

The school was still struggling after Katrina.
      I'm still upset UNO dropped wrestling a week after winning the D2 title. It would have been nice to see what they could do in D1.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

I'm still upset UNO dropped wrestling a week after winning the D2 title. It would have been nice to see what they could do in D1.
        I am too and now the AD who did that is taking the same position at Nebraska. But that was Omaha and the previous post is about New Orleans.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

I don't know if the info is available but when I see CHEYNEY on this list I know there needs to be a clarification as to why individual schools have left D2. CHEYNEY left simply because they couldn't sustain any vaguely competitive sports programs let alone the minimum required of a D2 school. That topic was decided on the PSAC page long ago. On the other hand schools like MIAMI-OHIO and the various Dakota schools have generally done a decent job since their move up. Any chance for such a clarification ??
          You'd have to think there's more than one reason why schools do what they do. Mansfield dropped to Sprint Football after years of trying to beat Cheyney for the 2nd worst record in the PSAC East.
          Last edited by WarriorVoice; 07-20-2021, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

You'd have to think there are many reasons why schools leave d2.
            Some for generally positive reasons and others...not so much.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X