Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course travel costs are a real thing, just look at the GSC footprint, our travel costs for conference games has to be close to the highest in the country. DSU and UWG are 400 miles apart so I'm guessing there are at least a few schools that actually play OOC games that are closer to each.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Perhaps UWF should not wait until the year of or year before to try and schedule games. Nah, it can't be their lack of planning, it must be that everyone is just scared of them. Yawn.
      UWF has been trying to schedule OOC games since the first Argo squad took the field way back in 2016 and maybe Commerce was right and that's why the Argos are heading down there next week. Maybe the GSC should just add a few teams and SILO up , seems to be all the rage these days.....

Comment

Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post

UWF has been trying to schedule OOC games since the first Argo squad took the field way back in 2016 and maybe Commerce was right and that's why the Argos are heading down there next week. Maybe the GSC should just add a few teams and SILO up , seems to be all the rage these days.....
        Commerce clearly wasn't right, they agreed to a 4 year deal with Pueblo and have played several OOC opponents over the years. There's more that goes into it than "eVeRyOnE iS sCaReD Of uS"

Comment

Of course travel costs are a real thing, just look at the GSC footprint, our travel costs for conference games has to be close to the highest in the country. DSU and UWG are 400 miles apart so I'm guessing there are at least a few schools that actually play OOC games that are closer to each.
          400 miles? Spearfish to Grand Juction is 1200 miles. Amarillo to Kingsville is 650 miles. Gunnison to Chadron is 500 miles. Just some random examples of travel in other conferences. Not sure your familiarity with D2 football but your travel isn't bad. However, trying to schedule games from the GSC with teams in say the RMAC could be tough as that's obviously going to require a flight.

Comment

Commerce clearly wasn't right, they agreed to a 4 year deal with Pueblo and have played several OOC opponents over the years. There's more that goes into it than "eVeRyOnE iS sCaReD Of uS"
            Good for them, maybe the Argos can find a similar opponent. I never said anyone was scared of us, that was another UWF poster, I just want to see good football and having OOC games (like VA-Lynchburg) that you win 69-0 is not good football in my opinion.
            Last edited by Uwfalum98; 09-09-2021, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Good for them, maybe the Argos can find a similar opponent. I never said anyone was scared of us, that was some other UWF poster, I just want to see good football and having OOC games (like VA-Lynchburg) that you win 69-0 is not good football in my opinion.
              Agreed, it would be a great step if leagues were required to have OOC games so we could see more of the match-ups like Commerce vs UWF or GVSU vs CO Mines. Won't happen but one can dream.

Comment

400 miles? Spearfish to Grand Juction is 1200 miles. Amarillo to Kingsville is 650 miles. Gunnison to Chadron is 500 miles. Just some random examples of travel in other conferences. Not sure your familiarity with D2 football but your travel isn't bad. However, trying to schedule games from the GSC with teams in say the RMAC could be tough as that's obviously going to require a flight.
                I know 400 miles isn't much in the grand scheme of D2 football travel, I just find it odd that two GSC schools would play each other twice in the regular season. If they both have good years and make the playoffs it's not hard to imagine that they could play for a third time....As for OOC, Southwest Baptist from the GLVC is making the 750 mile trip to Pensacola this weekend. I'm guessing a lot of the current scheduling woes have more to do with covid protocols and the different regulations from state to state than anything else.

Comment

Spearfish to Grand Junction is 603 miles, 1206 RT.

https://www.google.com/search?q=spea...hrome&ie=UTF-8

When the GNAC had more teams, there were several over 600 mile one way trips. Ellensburg to Rapid City was over 1,000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

Spearfish to Grand Junction is 603 miles, 1206 RT.

https://www.google.com/search?q=spea...hrome&ie=UTF-8

When the GNAC had more teams, there were several over 600 mile one way trips. Ellensburg to Rapid City was over 1,000 miles.
                    Yes, you're correct, my apologies.

Indeed though, the travel as you go further west in D2 gets brutal.

Comment

Yes, you're correct, my apologies.

Indeed though, the travel as you go further west in D2 gets brutal.
                      My daughter attended BHSU and ran T&F and XC. They had some brutal travel for meets.

And no need to apologize.

Comment

I know 400 miles isn't much in the grand scheme of D2 football travel, I just find it odd that two GSC schools would play each other twice in the regular season. If they both have good years and make the playoffs it's not hard to imagine that they could play for a third time....As for OOC, Southwest Baptist from the GLVC is making the 750 mile trip to Pensacola this weekend. I'm guessing a lot of the current scheduling woes have more to do with covid protocols and the different regulations from state to state than anything else.

Comment

Good point, I hadn't thought of it that way, sure beats having an 0-11 team on the schedule.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X