Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA should foot the bill for kick off games or maybe a weekly matchup

A nice scheduling arrangement for D2 would be for the NCAA to set up games involving the highest ranked teams from the previous season to start off the season. I'm sure some network would pick up the games as a package. If the NCAA foot the bill I'm sure they would make a profit.

Another idea is to schedule one high profile game each week. This could be based on recent success like last year's playoffs, and/or historical consistency like a Ferris vs a West Georgia. Games on a Thursday or Friday night should attract one of the national sports networks giving them something that's uncommon in college football, competitive matchups. The schools should be willing as long as they wouldn't have to cover travel expenses and again the NCAA's investment would likely
    be profitable.

I remember one year UMD and CWU played each other with both as top 25 teams. CBS picked up that game, but I didn't have CBS sports channel at the time and had to stream it. They kept calling Spevak Spewak though.

Comment

That would be so much fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
        That would be so much fun.
        ESPN created or at least owns the Red Tails Classic. This year's game was a 30-0 blowout. I guess it's a way to support HBCU's and that great but I hope that result doesn't turn them off. Brandon, you have some pull, any way you can get word to the movers & shakers :)

Comment

I don't think the NCAA considers DII football in its efforts to "grow the brand." They would be much more inclined to showcase an FCS game than to do the same for a DII.

Comment

Originally posted by boyblue View Post
            A nice scheduling arrangement for D2 would be for the NCAA to set up games involving the highest ranked teams from the previous season to start off the season. I'm sure some network would pick up the games as a package. If the NCAA foot the bill I'm sure they would make a profit.

Another idea is to schedule one high profile game each week. This could be based on recent success like last year's playoffs, and/or historical consistency like a Ferris vs a West Georgia. Games on a Thursday or Friday night should attract one of the national sports networks giving them something that's uncommon in college football, competitive matchups. The schools should be willing as long as they wouldn't have to cover travel expenses and again the NCAA's investment would likely
            be profitable.

Not sure a game involving West Georgia aka "Little Brother" can be considered high profile. :)
            Go Blazers, Braves , Falcons, Hawks and Jackets!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
              I don't think the NCAA considers DII football in its efforts to "grow the brand." They would be much more inclined to showcase an FCS game than to do the same for a DII.
              But we're talking chicken feed, comparatively speaking it takes a lot less. There are a lot less players and everything else from there is less.

Comment

Originally posted by getnastyblazers View Post

Not sure a game involving West Georgia aka "Little Brother" can be considered high profile. :)
                The highest profile school in D2 would not register a blip on the high profile meter, the example was of a competitive games.

Comment

It would be cool if leading into the opening weekend one of the existing big kickoff games hosted D2 or FCS games almost like "undercards". ie: Chickfila Kickoff could host a D2 matchup at Georgia State stadium on the Wednesday before.

Comment

The NCAA cares not about D2 programs, they don't bring in enough money.

Comment

But we're talking chicken feed, comparatively speaking it takes a lot less. There are a lot less players and everything else from there is less.
                      Very little "juice for the squeeze" from the NCAA paying to showcase a DII game. Only audience you'll get is parents who can't attend the game, some students of the visiting team who can't/won't drive to the game, the usual suspect alumni who are already donating to the programs and a few bored channel surfers. I'd expect fewer than 15,000 people nation-wide would tune in for part of the game. For a national cable network, 15,000 is an infinitesimally small number.

I would imagine the numbers are known but I've never seen them but, what were the TV numbers for the last DII Football NC game?

Comment

ESPN would rather put IMG and some fake online high school in primetime than give a marquee D2 matchup more spotlight than espn3.....

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Very little "juice for the squeeze" from the NCAA paying to showcase a DII game. Only audience you'll get is parents who can't attend the game, some students of the visiting team who can't/won't drive to the game, the usual suspect alumni who are already donating to the programs and a few bored channel surfers. I'd expect fewer than 15,000 people nation-wide would tune in for part of the game. For a national cable network, 15,000 is an infinitesimally small number.

I would imagine the numbers are known but I've never seen them but, what were the TV numbers for the last DII Football NC game?
                          I'm a big fan of PR. I wonder if ESPN or whoever marketed the game each year, they'd get a ton of eyeballs. The casual football fan enjoys good contests. Showcasing any level can be intriguing. The NC game doesn't draw many eyes.. but frankly, I don't see much of any promotion for it. Now a week one mid-week match up? With promo? It might be worth the shot.

Comment

The West Florida v. Minnesota State free youtube complete game video has only attracted 83K views since it was played so the eyeball numbers may not be large enough to attract ESPN for that reason. However, from the persepective of those who want the FBS playoffs expanded it might be worth it to networks to showcase D2 games that are playoff meaningful to illustrate how a real playoff system works.

Comment

The highest profile school in D2 would not register a blip on the high profile meter, the example was of a competitive games.
                              It was a joke, just taking a shot at little brother.
                              Go Blazers, Braves , Falcons, Hawks and Jackets!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X