Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 775 schools with football this fall

775 schools will sponsor football this fall. More will be adding in the coming years.

Someday I want to visit that wall with all of the football helmets. The Vikings stadium has a wall with all of the Minnesota HS teams helmets.

https://footballfoundation.org/news/...-football.aspx

Re: 775 schools with football this fall

Originally posted by laker View Post
    775 schools will sponsor football this fall. More will be adding in the coming years.

Someday I want to visit that wall with all of the football helmets. The Vikings stadium has a wall with all of the Minnesota HS teams helmets.

https://footballfoundation.org/news/...-football.aspx

Are youth football numbers still on the decline?

Seems there may be a supply and demand problem eventually.
    Cool Story Bro

Comment

Even if they are I think that will rebound. Different practice habits and the Vicis helmets are huge steps in player safety.

The LSC just signed a league-wide deal with Vicis. Rumor is the MIAA will as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
        Are youth football numbers still on the decline?

Seems there may be a supply and demand problem eventually.
        Good question. Are more boys going into soccer? That could be because many immigrants are coming from places that play soccer instead of football. Have parents made decisions to stop their children from playing football because of concussions? Or are many youth losing interest in athletics altogether? We will find out soon.

Comment

Comment

Good question. Are more boys going into soccer? That could be because many immigrants are coming from places that play soccer instead of football. Have parents made decisions to stop their children from playing football because of concussions? Or are many youth losing interest in athletics altogether? We will find out soon.
            Could be a little of everything. Soccer is more popular now than it has ever been this country.

Speaking from my personal observations here in St. Louis.... The soccer scene is made up of mostly the affluent teen vs. immigrants. Youth football has taken a pretty big hit. I've seen 3 of the major clubs shut down due to low numbers, meanwhile soccer clubs continue to expand.

Will this trend continue, I don't know. I absolutely love the sport, but being an Athletic Trainer and having cared and managed for concussions (possibly 100's) throughout my career, I understand the concern.

I know football purists don't like the direction the game is going with emphasis being taken away from big hits, but in my opinion it's the only way it can survive. There has to be different attitude regarding players self-reporting sypmtoms and not being looked at as weak, or "not tough". I can't understate the delicacy of the brain.

Overall I do see culture changing. That combined with a high presence of trained health care professionals (i.e. Athletic Trainers), updated coaching techniques, and improvement in equipment (VICIS), I hope and pray it's enough to save the sport.

The good news, increased college programs mean increased educational opportunities. Hopefully the trickle down is enough!
            Cool Story Bro

Comment

Good question. (1) Are more boys going into soccer? That could be because many immigrants are coming from places that play soccer instead of football. (2) Have parents made decisions to stop their children from playing football because of concussions? (3) Or are many youth losing interest in athletics altogether? We will find out soon.
              (1) As a youth sport, soccer was the only option most of us brats had to quench our competitive side. Here's the thing - none of us were soccer fans. We knew the game inside and out, but we couldn't tell you where the closest MLS team was, or who won the last World Cup. Football offered us nothing of the sort at that age. There were camps, sure, but there wasn't another sport where you could engage with kids from another town (besides baseball I guess). I assume because it's easier to get into from a cost standpoint for both parents and the community sponsoring the sport. It's also a little easier to grasp onto competitively IMO, whereas baseball took longer to develop. We were big dudes from a small country town, so we weren't afraid to play the game kinda rough. I'm sure we led the league in yellow cards...

(2) I do see this, but not a whole lot. I don't think my parents wanted me involved because of the physical toll of the game, but they never explicitly barred me from playing it. I guess I just lost interest in sports by the time football signups came around, and didn't get re-interested until it was far too late.

(3) Personally, I don't see it. If anything, the average family is being priced out of it these days with high equipment costs and fees. The days of pickup games are long gone, so recreational sports are a lot of the ways kids get involved these days. That being said, I think the allure of the NCAA and the Pros will keep kids coming in.

Granted, I've only ever lived in one corner of the world, so I can't really speak for anything other than my own experience.

Comment

Could be a little of everything. Soccer is more popular now than it has ever been this country.

Speaking from my personal observations here in St. Louis.... The soccer scene is made up of mostly the affluent teen vs. immigrants. Youth football has taken a pretty big hit. I've seen 3 of the major clubs shut down due to low numbers, meanwhile soccer clubs continue to expand.

Will this trend continue, I don't know. I absolutely love the sport, but being an Athletic Trainer and having cared and managed for concussions (possibly 100's) throughout my career, I understand the concern.

I know football purists don't like the direction the game is going with emphasis being taken away from big hits, but in my opinion it's the only way it can survive. There has to be different attitude regarding players self-reporting sypmtoms and not being looked at as weak, or "not tough". I can't understate the delicacy of the brain.
                I love football but nothing frustrates me more than football "tough guys..." (sorry for the vent).

Anyway, I think soccer has been one of the more popular youth sports for the past 20+ years. It wasn't as visible, and the participation rates didn't translate into support for professional/international soccer - which is where the spike in popularity comes from these days. I think it's got a long way to go before it can challenge any of the big four.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                  Even if they are I think that will rebound. Different practice habits and the Vicis helmets are huge steps in player safety.

The LSC just signed a league-wide deal with Vicis. Rumor is the MIAA will as well.
                  I know NW went with them last year and Pitt is doing it this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                    I saw Lindenwood players with the Vicis helmets in their camp highlights as well. I love the concept and mechanism. I'll be following very closely what if any long term changes are made as a result of using them.

I hope it's big. I love this sport to my bone, but I feel dirty about it sometimes watching (up close and personal) the effect it can have over a lifetime.
                    Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                      75 helmets. Two issues all year. Great ratio.

Comment

I saw Lindenwood players with the Vicis helmets in their camp highlights as well. I love the concept and mechanism. I'll be following very closely what if any long term changes are made as a result of using them.

I hope it's big. I love this sport to my bone, but I feel dirty about it sometimes watching (up close and personal) the effect it can have over a lifetime.
                        Those helmets are going to save the sport along with some philosophical changes in rules and coaching/training.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                          Those helmets are going to save the sport along with some philosophical changes in rules and coaching/training.
                          There have been some nice rule changes at the HS level that I would love to see higher up. Blind side block, defenseless player are two. I think the idea of the "big hit" on those plays needs to be worked out of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
                            There have been some nice rule changes at the HS level that I would love to see higher up. Blind side block, defenseless player are two. I think the idea of the "big hit" on those plays needs to be worked out of the game.
                            I believe they already have this year. They have also eliminated wedge on kickoffs.

Comment

Watching "Last Chance U' made me furious at the lack of self-reporting of concussion symptoms. It's no wonder these kids can't focus on school. They are dizzy with blurred vision half the time!
                              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X