Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playoff musical chairs

I notice some conferences get 5 teams into the PO, I was just wondering how many teams from each conference normally make the playoffs?

This year, there's a good chance West Georgia (15) wins the GSC leaving West Florida (1) and Valdosta (3) fighting for one PO spot. Two of these three teams will likely have two losses and the third will either have one loss and be conference champs or three losses and be the odd man out. There's a chance the GSC gets a third team into the PO and that's if the SAC third place team also has 3 losses.

Delta State and West Alabama will have a lot to say about this, and either could replace one of the top three.

What's the situation in your neck of the woods?

Originally posted by boyblue View Post
    I notice some conferences get 5 teams into the PO, I was just wondering how many teams from each conference normally make the playoffs?

This year, there's a good chance West Georgia (15) wins the GSC leaving West Florida (1) and Valdosta (3) fighting for one PO spot. Two of these three teams will likely have two losses and the third will either have one loss and be conference champs or three losses and be the odd man out. There's a chance the GSC gets a third team into the PO and that's if the SAC third place team also has 3 losses.

Delta State and West Alabama will have a lot to say about this, and either could replace one of the top three.

The PSAC has a league championship game in the week 11. The winner unofficially gets a playoff spot. The loser has an inside path. Two of the teams most likely to be in that game, IUP (W) and SHEPHERD (E), have both lost once and a second lose would seriously threaten their opportunity to make that game. Remaining undefeateds after week 4 are CAL and SRU in the West with only SHIPPENSBURG in the East. The East currently has four 3-1 teams, ESU, WCU, SHIPPENSBURG and SHEPHERD and trying to sort out those variations makes my brain hurt. Because of strength elsewhere in SR1, it is very likely that the PSAC will only get 3 of 7 PO spots. Lots of football to be played.
    Most important game this week SHIPPENSBURG at SHEPHERD.

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Gliac_fan10; 09-27-2021, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Five teams from one conference is an outlier. It happened in 2019 with the PSAC but I can't remember another time that happened. I'm not saying it can't happen again, but don't expect it every year.

The GSC typically has more than "a chance" of getting three teams in. You're scenario is possible, but it is also just as possible that all three of those teams (UWG, UWF and Valdosta) would make the tournament. Since the field was expanded to seven teams per region in 2015, the GSC has had at least three teams in the tournament in four out of five years. Even before the regions were expanded from 6 to 7 teams, the GSC had really strong representation in the field. (BTW, I am not complaining about that, the GSC teams earn their places).

Also keep in mind that conference championships and conference standings are not part of the primary selection criteria. And it is also very possible for a three loss GSC team to be ranked higher than a 2 loss SAC, SIAC or CIAA team.

Comment

The NSIC consistently gets two teams in the playoffs and sometimes 3. With rumors of Texas A&M commerce moving up to D1 and Tarleton St moving up last year, the LSC will have lost 2 of their better football programs in the conference in just a few years so I could now see 3 nsic teams consistently making the playoffs moving forward.
            Last edited by Twincitiesmav; 09-27-2021, 09:42 PM.

Comment

I am really hoping that it works out that way this year so the GAC will be forced to rethink things lol

Comment

The GSC got 4 teams in the playoffs in 2017 and it wouldn't surprise me if they did it again this season.

Comment

Originally posted by BulldogLB View Post

I am really hoping that it works out that way this year so the GAC will be forced to rethink things lol

Comment

I'm not going to quote anyone because you all made good points. The one observation I've made is that it appears D2 win/loss is the strongest marker. Have any of you eve seen a 3 loss team from a strong conference make the playoffs over a two loss team from a weaker conference?

Comment

I'm not going to quote anyone because you all made good points. The one observation I've made is that it appears D2 win/loss is the strongest marker. Have any of you eve seen a 3 loss team from a strong conference make the playoffs over a two loss team from a weaker conference?
                      I believe there was a 2 loss SAC team that missed out on the 2017 playoffs while three of the GSC teams that made the playoffs had 3 losses.

Comment

1996 Northern Colorado had 3 losses and made playoffs ahead of numerous others with fewer losses. They went on to win the national championship

Comment

Comment

Comment

In 2018, Virginia Union (CIAA) finished 8-2. Bowie St, also of the CIAA, defeated VUU, finished 9-1 and was the #4 seed.
                              #5 West Alabama (GSC), #6 Florida Tech (GSC) and #7 Wingate (SAC) all finished 8-3.
                              #1 Valdosta St (GSC) and #3 Lenoir-Rhyne (SAC) both were there, so 5-7 were not there due to earned access.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X