Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

The Big East was barely a power conference in football. They had power teams, but rarely at the same time. They got their BCS status almost solely due to Miami. VA tech had their 2 years early in with Vick, but it was a BCS conference strictly due to Miami.

Comment

Comment

Miami, while still an excellent football program, now has to earn it's way to the top, not to many gimmies anymore.
        This is somewhat of an off year for the ACC, but all in all it has some really good football programs. We will see if Notre Dame comes around and becomes a conference member in football since all of their other sports programs are now members of the ACC. I have also heard that there's talks about West Virginia moving over to the ACC.

Comment

I updated my program rankings and went back a little bit. As a nod to Brandon and the rest of the folks, this is just the "D2Football.com era". Includes all teams that have made at least 1 game appearence as a division 2 football program since the 2000 season.

Reminder of how my rankings work for this, you get points based on playoff performance and regular season record.
          1 Northwest Mo. St. MIAA 773
          2 Grand Valley State GLIAC 687
          3 Valdosta State Gulf South 578
          4 Minn.-Duluth NSIC 274
          5 Delta State Gulf South 237
          6 North Dakota Former D2 216
          7 Pittsburg St. MIAA 200
          8 West Florida Gulf South 178
          9 North Alabama Former D2 174
          10 Minn. St.-Mankato NSIC 169
          11 Shepherd PSAC 163
          12 CSU-PUEBLO RMAC 147
          13 Ferris St. GLIAC 145
          14 Tex. A&M-Commerce LSC 140
          15 Bloomsburg PSAC 101
          16 California (PA) PSAC 86
          17 Winston-Salem CIAA 82
          18 Lenoir-Rhyne SAC 82
          19 West Chester PSAC 72
          20 Carson-Newman SAC 61
          21 West Georgia Gulf South 59
          22 Wayne St. (Mich.) GLIAC 57
          23 IUP PSAC 57
          24 UC Davis Former D2 54
          25 Tex. A&M-Kingsville LSC 53

Comment

In recent college football history, the D2 - GSC is reminding me more and more like the D1 - SEC, especially in the Southeast.

Comment

The Notre Dame College Football program was instituted in 2009. The Falcons played a full 2009 season against non-varsity clubs, and played their first full varsity schedule in 2010 as an NAIA Independent. In 2012, NDC joined the NCAA Div. II ranks, joining the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC). The Falcons then became a charter member of the Mountain East Conference in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                In recent college football history, the D2 - GSC is reminding me more and more like the D1 - SEC, especially in the Southeast.
                Thankfully the D2 playoff committee isn't a bunch of whiners like the FBS folks.....you know, the ones who want to expand the playoff and put a cap on the # of SEC teams that can qualify lol. Don't want two SEC schools playing for the title? Beat one of em....

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                  Miami, while still an excellent football program, now has to earn it's way to the top, not to many gimmies anymore.
                  This is somewhat of an off year for the ACC, but all in all it has some really good football programs. We will see if Notre Dame comes around and becomes a conference member in football since all of their other sports programs are now members of the ACC. I have also heard that there's talks about West Virginia moving over to the ACC.
                  It's not a matter of if Notre Dame decides to join the ACC full-time for football, but perhaps when. I can't help but think that the Four Letter Nitwits in Bristol are pressuring the Domers to end their relationship with NBC and eventually drop their independent bit to boost a football league that is, at best, fourth behind SEC, Big Ten and Big XII (yes, even with Texas and Oklahoma jumping ship, I still think the "new" Big XII will be at least on par with, if not better than, the ACC and PAC 12).

I can see ND going full ACC within the next 10 years, depending on what (if any) expanded College Football Playoff scheme is implemented. If the Powers That Be decide to emphasize conference championships as a criteria for an at large bid, then that automatically puts ND at a disadvantage right off the bat.
                  Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

It's not a matter of if Notre Dame decides to join the ACC full-time for football, but perhaps when. I can't help but think that the Four Letter Nitwits in Bristol are pressuring the Domers to end their relationship with NBC and eventually drop their independent bit to boost a football league that is, at best, fourth behind SEC, Big Ten and Big XII (yes, even with Texas and Oklahoma jumping ship, I still think the "new" Big XII will be at least on par with, if not better than, the ACC and PAC 12).

I can see ND going full ACC within the next 10 years, depending on what (if any) expanded College Football Playoff scheme is implemented. If the Powers That Be decide to emphasize conference championships as a criteria for an at large bid, then that automatically puts ND at a disadvantage right off the bat.
                    If what I was told a few years ago was true, the addition of Notre Dame would give the ACC 15 football schools and they are already at 15 for basketball. Rumor was Villanova applied for membership and was willing to transition it's football program to FBS.

Comment

Top 10 Programs per region since 1973. Solely based off playoff success and win percentage.
                      Super Region 1 Super Region 2 Super Region 3 Super Region 4
                      1 Indiana Crimson Hawks PSAC 261 1 Valdosta State Blazers GSC 594 1 Northwest Missouri Bearcats MIAA 1025 1 Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs NSIC 274
                      2 Shepherd Rams PSAC 172 2 Carson-Newman Eagles SAC 256 2 Grand Valley Lakers GLIAC 692 2 Texas A&M-Kingsville Javelinas LSC 210
                      3 Bloomsburg Huskies PSAC 118 3 Delta State Statesmen GSC 238 3 Pittsburg State Gorillas MIAA 461 3 Minnesota State Mavericks NSIC 186
                      4 New Haven Chargers NE-10 110 4 West Florida Argonauts GSC 178 4 Ferris State Bulldogs GLIAC 193 4 CSU-Pueblo ThunderWolves RMAC 147
                      5 California Vulcans PSAC 86 5 Mississippi College Choctaws GSC 165 5 Northern Michigan Wildcats GLIAC 161 5 West Texas A&M Buffaloes LSC 51
                      6 Slippery Rock The Rock PSAC 80 6 Winston-Salem Rams CIAA 102 6 Wayne State Warriors GLIAC 57 6 Angelo State Rams LSC 49
                      7 West Chester Golden Rams PSAC 76 7 Lenoir-Rhyne Bears SAC 82 7 Harding Bisons GAC 45 7 Colorado Mines Orediggers RMAC 38
                      8 Notre Dame Falcons MEC 38 8 Central State Marauders SIAC 65 8 Saginaw Valley Cardinals GLIAC 32 8 Chadron State Eagles RMAC 25
                      9 East Stroudsburg Warriors PSAC 36 9 West Georgia Wolves GSC 62 9 Central Oklahoma Bronchos MIAA 25 9 Central Washington Wildcats LSC 23
                      10 Shippensburg Raiders PSAC 31 10 Catawba Indians SAC 46 10 Northeastern State RiverHawks MIAA 24 10 Midwestern State Mustangs LSC 14

Comment

I really enjoy your work, canadarican.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post

Thankfully the D2 playoff committee isn't a bunch of whiners like the FBS folks.....you know, the ones who want to expand the playoff and put a cap on the # of SEC teams that can qualify lol. Don't want two SEC schools playing for the title? Beat one of em....
                          Do you want Arkansas tech or Louisiana Monroe to pull off the upset? The SEC schedule is 8 conference games, 3 cupcakes, and the occasional showcase game the first week of the season. They get the best players and have the best teams but also have inflated records relative to the other major conferences.

Comment

Originally posted by twolfbenchwarmer View Post
                            Do you want Arkansas tech or Louisiana Monroe to pull off the upset? The SEC schedule is 8 conference games, 3 cupcakes, and the occasional showcase game the first week of the season. They get the best players and have the best teams but also have inflated records relative to the other major conferences.
                            And there are some cupcakes within the conference too.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

And there are some cupcakes within the conference too.
                              *cupcake...but Vandy doesn't care if it's good at football.

Comment

Originally posted by twolfbenchwarmer View Post
                                Because those 8 league games are usually 5 or 6 games tougher than the other major conferences play all year...outside of the Big Ten.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X