Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Who's who of D2

I'm trying to expand my knowledge of D2 and I've decided I'd start at the top. The perennial powers so to speak, no flash in the pans that are having a good season. I'm talking about teams that expect to make the playoffs year in & year out.

Who are the top teams in your region, the two that come to mind immediately and the one or two that might give them a good game every now and then?

To a lesser degree, who are the teams in your conference that seem to win the conference regularly? if it's a couple of them, I'll take both but ya have to say which one in your opinion is the alpha?

I'll use SR2 as an example, I'd have to say that VSU is the Alpha even though West Florida is NC and the second team would definitely be UWF.

In terms of conferences:
    Lenoir Rhyne - SAC - They make the playoffs pretty regularly
    Winston Salem State - CIAA -Made it to the NC (wow that was almost 10 years ago)
    Albany State SIAC - They won a few games against GSC over the years - Don't think an SIAC team has ever won a playoff game against another conference

I know they are having tough seasons but Carson Newman and Delta State are perennial SR2 playoff teams. Wingate and Bowie State are teams that seem to make the playoffs with regularity and you certainly can't forget West Georgia and West Alabama.
    Last edited by Uwfalum98; 10-10-2021, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post
      Wingate and Bowie State are teams that seem to make the playoffs with regularity and you certainly can't forget West Georgia and West Alabama.
      As a Bowie fan this is weird to see. From my POV it seems like Bowie became consistently good around 2015. Prior to that I'd say Bowie was a mediocre program within the CIAA, with the occasional good or bad seasons.

Comment

SR3 has had several mainstays the last 10 years.

NWMSU obviously
        Ferris
        Combination of 2 from HU/HSU/OBU. HU only one with success in playoffs though really.
        Grand Valley

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post

As a Bowie fan this is weird to see. From my POV it seems like Bowie became consistently good around 2015. Prior to that I'd say Bowie was a mediocre program within the CIAA, with the occasional good or bad seasons.
          I was thinking more of recent success.

Comment

SR4 - NSIC:

-Mankato and Duluth are the big dogs of the conference. Duluth has two National Titles (2008, 2010) and still consistently makes the playoffs. Mankato has two runners up (2014, 2019).
            -Sioux Falls was a hot commodity moving from the NAIA to D2. They've cooled off a bit in the past couple of seasons, but they're still a team to watch.

Won't speak on the other conferences in the SR4.

Comment

Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post
              I know they are having tough seasons but Carson Newman and Delta State are perennial SR2 playoff teams. Wingate and Bowie State are teams that seem to make the playoffs with regularity and you certainly can't forget West Georgia and West Alabama.
              Sadly, it looks as though Carson Newman's football program has come completely off the rails, and are at a historic low, presently sitting at 0-5 this season. So far this season he Eagles have been out scored 167-61. Unfortunately, I see this adversely effecting recruiting in a big way, with some of CN's players possibly looking for transfer opportunities to other schools.

Comment

SR1 ... Historically the most underfunded and weakest region. Unfortunately, without more funding for the football programs, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

PSAC ... The conference is made up of two divisions. The East and West. In the East, you have Shepherd, Kutztown and West Chester as the most likely to make the playoffs in most seasons, although West Chester appears down this season. Shippensburg and East Stroudsburg have also had decent runs in the past. Shippensburg is currently having a great season.

The West is usually dominated by the three-headed monster of IUP, Slippery Rock and California. You can always bet on those three teams being good.

MEC - Notre Dame has risen to the top of that conference. Charleston is also usually solid. Frostburg State is newer to the conference but looks to be one of the top teams. Concord has had some good runs in the past and has the potential to do it again.

NE-10 - I'll be honest. It seems like the top team in that conference changes so often. I think New Haven is the top dog, but lots of programs cycle to the top.

GMAC - The top teams in that conference seem to be Tiffin, Findlay, Ashland and Ohio Dominican. The winner of that conference will usually come from those four teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

Sadly, it looks as though Carson Newman's football program has come completely off the rails, and are at a historic low, presently sitting at 0-5 this season. So far this season he Eagles have been out scored 167-61. Unfortunately, I see this adversely effecting recruiting in a big way, with some of CN's players possibly looking for transfer opportunities to other schools.
                  I have no doubt that C&N will right the ship, it may take a little while but that is far too good of a program to be down for long.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

Hate to hear that about CN. It seems like for years we were always facing CN in the playoffs.
                    Last edited by BlazerLady; 10-11-2021, 01:24 PM.

#BlazerNation

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post
                      SR1 ... Historically the most underfunded and weakest region. Unfortunately, without more funding for the football programs, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

PSAC ... The conference is made up of two divisions. The East and West. In the East, you have Shepherd, Kutztown and West Chester as the most likely to make the playoffs in most seasons, although West Chester appears down this season. Shippensburg and East Stroudsburg have also had decent runs in the past. Shippensburg is currently having a great season.

The West is usually dominated by the three-headed monster of IUP, Slippery Rock and California. You can always bet on those three teams being good.

MEC - Notre Dame has risen to the top of that conference. Charleston is also usually solid. Frostburg State is newer to the conference but looks to be one of the top teams. Concord has had some good runs in the past and has the potential to do it again.

NE-10 - I'll be honest. It seems like the top team in that conference changes so often. I think New Haven is the top dog, but lots of programs cycle to the top.

GMAC - The top teams in that conference seem to be Tiffin, Findlay, Ashland and Ohio Dominican. The winner of that conference will usually come from those four teams.
                      Because SR1 is relatively compact, it is easy for teams to switch conferences, with the exception of the NE10 which is isolated, and that has happened a fair bit in the last decade. Also the region lost a solid program in C.W.POST which moved up to FCS in '19.
                      The region has made the NC game 3 times in the last 20 years but were not competitive in those games.

Comment

NWMSU Bearcats got some good press on espn for their Military Appreciation Day unis

Comment

Several years ago I came up with a points system based off regular season win percentage and playoff performance. I started it in 2007, when I was a freshman at Carson-Newman. so about 12 years of data.
                          1 NORTHWEST MISSOURI MIAA 158 22 0.878 351 351.878
                          2 VALDOSTA STATE GSC 116 35 0.768 207 207.768
                          3 MINNESOTA DULUTH NSIC 137 28 0.830 153 153.830
                          4 MINNESOTA STATE NSIC 135 30 0.818 105 105.818
                          5 GRAND VALLEY GLIAC 131 32 0.804 94 94.804
                          6 WEST FLORIDA GSC 35 17 0.673 94 94.673
                          7 CSU-PUEBLO RMAC 117 27 0.813 90 90.813
                          8 SHEPHERD PSAC 123 30 0.804 80 80.804
                          9 North Alabama Lions GSC 100 34 0.746 77 77.746
                          10 TEXAS A&M-COMMERCE LSC 88 63 0.583 77 77.583
                          11 FERRIS STATE GLIAC 111 47 0.703 74 74.703
                          12 PITTSBURG STATE MIAA 106 46 0.697 69 69.697
                          13 DELTA STATE GSC 93 55 0.628 62 62.628
                          14 CAL U. PSAC 119 36 0.768 57 57.768
                          15 LENOIR-RHYNE SAC 94 57 0.623 51 51.623
                          16 WINSTON-SALEM CIAA 84 30 0.737 50 50.737
                          17 WEST GEORGIA GSC 77 71 0.520 34 34.520
                          18 IUP PSAC 111 41 0.730 32 32.730
                          19 SLIPPERY ROCK PSAC 109 45 0.708 31 31.708
                          20 WAYNE STATE (MICH.) GLIAC 81 66 0.551 31 31.551
                          21 CARSON-NEWMAN SAC 103 47 0.687 30 30.687
                          22 WEST TEXAS A&M LSC 104 51 0.671 29 29.671
                          23 WEST CHESTER PSAC 108 47 0.697 27 27.697
                          24 HARDING GAC 100 50 0.667 26 26.667
                          25 NOTRE DAME MEC 69 47 0.595 22 22.595

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

With regards to the NE10, New Haven may be the biggest name, but they haven't had the most success in the playoffs since joining the NE10 in 2009. That would probably be Assumption, who got to the regional finals a few years ago and nearly upset IUP. CW/LIU-Post had a couple of good runs over the years, and Bentley had a few playoff appearances about 20 years ago and look really good this year. AIC has been competitive over the years, but have had some down years recently.

New Haven's best moments as a program were still when they were Independent.

Comment

Originally posted by boyblue View Post

In terms of conferences:
                              Lenoir Rhyne - SAC - They make the playoffs pretty regularly
                              Winston Salem State - CIAA -Made it to the NC (wow that was almost 10 years ago)
                              Albany State SIAC - They won a few games against GSC over the years - Don't think an SIAC team has ever won a playoff game against another conference
                              SR2

For the CIAA - WSSU has hit rock bottom with this 2+ year interim coach debacle (thankfully we have a job posting up and are finally actively seeking a new head coach). Bowie and Virginia State are the current two teams who are usually year in and out going to be in the mix for a conference championship and playoff birth.

For the SIAC - I would add Tuskegee. They have hit a speedbump the past few seasons, but they are usually at the top of the SIAC. They actually had some good playoff success when they finally opted into the playoffs (had close first round losses in 2013 and 2014, made SR 2 regional finals in 2015, and made it to the second round in 2016).

For the SAC - I would also add Wingate to the mix. They seem to stay at the top of the SAC and have been a constant presence in the playoffs the past few years.

For the GSC - Heck it seems like at least half of y'alls conference is a true force. On any giving year probably at least the top 3 teams could be conference champ if they were in one of the other SR2 conferences.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X