Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by canadarican View Post

Typo. My bad boss.
    No worries. I know we are covered by the independent columnist. For the GNAC portion with only SFU playing he went into pro sports for Oregon and Washington. lol

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

NDSU, UND, and both SD and SDSU have had FCS success.

Agree that most schools suffer.
        The Dakota schools have definitely prospered in FCS. If you have any way of accessing the records from immediately after they made the change I would like to know how long it took each one to become competitive. I've tried without success.

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post
          What conference was Central State in when they played in a championship game? Because they only recently joined the SIAC.
          Not sure but the logic still holds, a team currently a member of the SIAC appeared in the NC. So like if VSU were to move to the SAC, their history would go with them.

Comment

I just don't understand the lure of moving up for the most part. Other than march madness money. Another example of a school that moved up and probably shouldn't have was Presbyterian. They werent winning in the SAC most of the time, moved up and got destroyed for years. Now they play non-scholly in the Pioneer league or whatever it is.
            Yea I don't get it either. This also happens to coaches as well. Our previous two head coaches after being on the brink of building a dynasty left for D1 jobs that lasted 1 year. Coach David Dean found his way back to D2, after 1 year at Ga State, he's at west .Georgia. Coach Kerwin Bell had that record breaking offense, left togoin charlie Strong at I believe Central FL. The were out after one year. Coach Bell landed another D1 gig though. He's at Western Carolina.

Comment

Originally posted by boyblue View Post

Yea I don't get it either. This also happens to coaches as well. Our previous two head coaches after being on the brink of building a dynasty left for D1 jobs that lasted 1 year. Coach David Dean found his way back to D2, after 1 year at Ga State, he's at west .Georgia. Coach Kerwin Bell had that record breaking offense, left togoin charlie Strong at I believe Central FL. The were out after one year. Coach Bell landed another D1 gig though. He's at Western Carolina.
              What's good for the school and fans doesn't always align with what the coach wants for themselves or their career. An ambitious coach (is there any other kind?) would want a new challenge after more or less "solving" their current level of competition, rather than continue being the biggest fish in a pond they've outgrown.

Comment

I just don't understand the lure of moving up for the most part. Other than march madness money. Another example of a school that moved up and probably shouldn't have was Presbyterian. They werent winning in the SAC most of the time, moved up and got destroyed for years. Now they play non-scholly in the Pioneer league or whatever it is.
                Presbyterian College alum here (and I worked there for 9 years). PC moved up for number of reasons, some of which weren't directly tied to football or athletics primarily. It was more of a "keeping up with the Joneses" move with self-identified peer institutions, such as Wofford College and a few other schools (no need to bore you with the details). I didn't really support the move, but I understood the reasons. The "DI cache" did play a part, as did timing. PC went from being a middle of the road NAIA/DII school to being a low-level FCS program, although baseball went to the NCAA's this past spring (crushed by Vandy).

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

Sadly, it looks as though Carson Newman's football program has come completely off the rails, and are at a historic low, presently sitting at 0-5 this season. So far this season he Eagles have been out scored 167-61. Unfortunately, I see this adversely effecting recruiting in a big way, with some of CN's players possibly looking for transfer opportunities to other schools.
                  This is sad to hear. I played at Presbyterian College in the late '80s, and I hated making that road trip to Jefferson City -- you knew a butt-kicking was on the menu. PC was 2-2 against CN during my 4 years, but despite the wins you knew that Ken Sparks built those squads for the postseason, especially between '83-'89. The 1999 DII championship loss to NWMSU was a classic -- I didn't think the game would ever end! I guess when Sparks retired the whole "mojo" shifted. CN has too much history to go away -- they will be back!

Comment

Originally posted by UWFMubbish View Post

This is sad to hear. I played at Presbyterian College in the late '80s, and I hated making that road trip to Jefferson City -- you knew a butt-kicking was on the menu. PC was 2-2 against CN during my 4 years, but despite the wins you knew that Ken Sparks built those squads for the postseason, especially between '83-'89. The 1999 DII championship loss to NWMSU was a classic -- I didn't think the game would ever end! I guess when Sparks retired the whole "mojo" shifted. CN has too much history to go away -- they will be back!
                    Well, unfortunately it's not happening today, at the half Lenoir Rhyne is beating Carson Newman 35-0 with the Bears amassing around 450 total yards, again just during the first half.
                    However, there's a chance that during halftime, LR's coach may have been trying to call off the dogs by asking the trainers, several parents and a few grandparents, along with 4 of their cheerleaders if they would like to suit up for some plays against the Eagles in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

The Dakota schools have definitely prospered in FCS. If you have any way of accessing the records from immediately after they made the change I would like to know how long it took each one to become competitive. I've tried without success.
                      All these schools had to go four years without a shot at the playoffs

NDSU: In the first two years of playoff eligibility, NDSU went 9-13, They did have good success in the 4 year probationary period though (they beat 3 FBS teams and had two 10-1 seasons.) 150-16 since then including 8 national championships and 5 straight wins against P5 teams.

SDSU: They made the playoffs the first year they were eligible (2009) and almost every year since then. They made it to the national championship game once. They're 125-65 against FCS competition.

UND: Playoff eligible since the 2012 season and have made the playoffs 3 out of 9 times, but have had five losing seasons since joining the FCS. They are 65-71 vs DI competition (including FBS)

USD: Playoff eligible since 2012, 9 losing seasons in the FCS. Made the playoffs once, 49-87 against D1 competition. In their defense, they joined NDSU and SDSU's conference right away - and that made things tough.

SDSU is the most surprising - they've had a lot more success in the FCS than D2. I'm not sure that UND and USD have "prospered" yet.

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post

All these schools had to go four years without a shot at the playoffs

NDSU: In the first two years of playoff eligibility, NDSU went 9-13, They did have good success in the 4 year probationary period though (they beat 3 FBS teams and had two 10-1 seasons.) 150-16 since then including 8 national championships and 5 straight wins against P5 teams.

SDSU: They made the playoffs the first year they were eligible (2009) and almost every year since then. They made it to the national championship game once. They're 125-65 against FCS competition.

UND: Playoff eligible since the 2012 season and have made the playoffs 3 out of 9 times, but have had five losing seasons since joining the FCS. They are 65-71 vs DI competition (including FBS)

USD: Playoff eligible since 2012, 9 losing seasons in the FCS. Made the playoffs once, 49-87 against D1 competition. In their defense, they joined NDSU and SDSU's conference right away - and that made things tough.

SDSU is the most surprising - they've had a lot more success in the FCS than D2. I'm not sure that UND and USD have "prospered" yet.
                        Do you think any of the Dakota schools will ever consider FBS?
                        Cool Story Bro

Comment

No doubt.

Great to see you pop in from time to time. Hope life is treating you well.

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post

Do you think any of the Dakota schools will ever consider FBS?
                            NDSU is definitely considering it, but there needs to be some movement in FBS conferences to open up a spot. If NDSU goes, then it's hard to say what the others would do... SDSU is the most likely to move up outside of NDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

No doubt.

Great to see you pop in from time to time. Hope life is treating you well.
                              It's good to be alive. :)

Comment

NDSU is definitely considering it, but there needs to be some movement in FBS conferences to open up a spot. If NDSU goes, then it's hard to say what the others would do... SDSU is the most likely to move up outside of NDSU.
                                But my question is why would NDSU want to move up? Unless the Big Four (ACC, Big Ten, SEC and Pac 12) split off and the rest form a new "division" of college football with a playoff, I don't see the draw.

A. Stay in FCS and compete for national titles every year
                                or B. move up and play in some crappy ass bowl game sponsored by Little Caesars on a random Tuesday at 11 AM.

Sorry for swearing Brandon lol.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X