Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FCS Playoffs and the Celebration Bowl

Please can someone explain to me how the FCS Playoffs work? This mess is confusing and I think it's just a SWAC and MEAC thing.

Okay let me see if I got this right.

Florida A&M made the FCS Playoffs but they didn't win their conference (SWAC).
    Jackson State which actually won the SWAC conference is playing in the Celebration Bowl against SC State.

I would think Jackson State would have made the FCS playoffs instead of Florida State?

This mess is confusing. Maybe I don't understand how the FCS playoffs work.

Personally I'm not a fan of the Celebration Bowl. I do watch it but if I was a coach in either conference I wouldn't be a fan. Granted you get media exposure for your kids because no one watches the FCS playoffs (numbers prove that) but I bet NFL scouts are watching to see who rises to the top against quality competition. Let's be real the SWAC and MEAC are not the Big 10 and SEC of FCS football.

The SWAC and MEAC made the decision that playing a HBCU championship game against one another where the two conferences' champions matched up made more sense than participating in the DI-AA/FCS playoffs, once TV (or more specifically, ESPN/ABC) agreed to televise that game nationally on one of their more prominent networks (ABC). Before the Celebration Bowl was created, SWAC and MEAC teams that made the DI-AA/FCS playoffs typically lost in the early rounds.

Though the SWAC and MEAC champions are locked into playing in the Celebration Bowl, non-champions in those leagues can still be selected for the DI-AA/FCS playoffs if they are considered one of the (I think) 13 most worthy non-conference champion teams in the classification. This year, Florida A&M, the second place finisher in the SWAC, was considered one of the most worthy at-large teams, so they received a playoff berth

I think the Celebration Bowl has worked out great for the SWAC and MEAC because that game is televised on an over-the-air TV network and typically gets higher ratings than any DI-AA/FCS playoff game except possibly the championship game, which typically is played in a time slot with no other football game competition.

Comment

SWAC and MEAC schools will get more revenue from the celebration bowl than they would a probable one playoff game. At least thats what a Grambling alum I met before told me.

Comment

If Jackson State can keep Sanders- and I doubt it- they could really have something. But I can see Florida State giving him the farm if they don't start winning. I think he would want to compete for a national title.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
          If Jackson State can keep Sanders- and I doubt it- they could really have something. But I can see Florida State giving him the farm if they don't start winning. I think he would want to compete for a national title.
          I honestly think its a odd situation if you think on it. The idea is to win,, so Win the SWAC and you're locked into the Celebration bowl. BUT if JSU plays well and goes to the celebration bowl every year they'll never know how they honestly stack up against other FCS competition.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post

I honestly think its a odd situation if you think on it. The idea is to win,, so Win the SWAC and you're locked into the Celebration bowl. BUT if JSU plays well and goes to the celebration bowl every year they'll never know how they honestly stack up against other FCS competition.
            Yeah, being 11-1 and playing in a game that really means little in the overall football world is a bit of a downer. If they would at least play in the FCS playoffs, that would be different.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

Yeah, being 11-1 and playing in a game that really means little in the overall football world is a bit of a downer. If they would at least play in the FCS playoffs, that would be different.
              I think they would face the same fate as FAMU. I don't think they'd win against SELA either and FAMU wasn't even close.

Comment

I think they would face the same fate as FAMU. I don't think they'd win against SELA either and FAMU wasn't even close.

Comment

I mean, I don't think they'd win if they made D2 playoffs either. Just from what I've seen. I think they'd get boatraced by the two national title contenders today.

Comment

And before anyone jumps to a stupid conclusion, my comments are in no way, shape or form a shot at HBCU football. I had someone misinterpret my comment. Its because I don't think Jackson state is that good. In fact, I don't think they are better than Bowie or Albany. As someone that loves defense, my God would that have been a helluva football game (Bowie and ASU).

Comment

I mean, I don't think they'd win if they made D2 playoffs either. Just from what I've seen. I think they'd get boatraced by the two national title contenders today.
                      As an HBCU sports fan, I agree. Valdosta and JSU would have been a good game I think. I personally think all D1 HBCUs should drop to D2. Also if I were Sanders I would decline the Celebration Bowl every year. It would help the players to play against quality competition therefore helping their NFL chances. Two level conference teams playing each other doesn't prove much.

NFL scouts are watching the FCS playoffs if no one else is.

Comment

Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post

As an HBCU sports fan, I agree. Valdosta and JSU would have been a good game I think. I personally think all D1 HBCUs should drop to D2. Also if I were Sanders I would decline the Celebration Bowl every year. It would help the players to play against quality competition therefore helping their NFL chances. Two level conference teams playing each other doesn't prove much.

NFL scouts are watching the FCS playoffs if no one else is.
                        I think Valdosta would have beat JSU rather easily. JSU struggled to put away Delta State, the 5th place team in the GSC.

Also, based on what a new friend I made via Twitter, who attended grambling, JSU can't decline the Celebration bowl invite. It's the championship game between the SWAC and MEAC. It's not just a regular bowl they can opt out of.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X