Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would a D2 video game work, sell?

I'm sure this has been discussed before but with the NCAA football series coming back, do you think a version of the game focused on D2 could work? Would it sell?

To date, I believe the only video game to actively feature D2 schools was BCFX. Which, honestly wasn't a great game by any measure. But I wonder if an official D2 game with the majority of schools could generate enough buzz to sell? I'd like to think so. And if not as a stand alone game, an expansion set for the main NCAA title could work.

I mean, EA includes a billion hockey teams in NHL series. Same with FIFA. Id like it

Comment

Originally posted by psugorilla View Post
      I'm sure this has been discussed before but with the NCAA football series coming back, do you think a version of the game focused on D2 could work? Would it sell?

To date, I believe the only video game to actively feature D2 schools was BCFX. Which, honestly wasn't a great game by any measure. But I wonder if an official D2 game with the majority of schools could generate enough buzz to sell? I'd like to think so. And if not as a stand alone game, an expansion set for the main NCAA title could work.

Comment

NCAA 2004 had actual FCS (D1-AA) teams, like Arkansas Pine Bluff. They could do it but for them to have lower divisions of football in the game, the creators would have to make an online portion that you can update rosters and create teams to inject into the game. That's something that we did for NCAA 2014 to keep the game fresh. The balancing of it all would be hard because of the size and abilities of D1 athletes vs D2.

Comment

Some of us would enjoy it ... but, that's probably about it. Outside of our tiny little D2 fandom universe ... nobody else cares. Many view D2 as glorified high school ball. We know that's not the case, but the general population ...

Comment

It would probably look a lot like the FIFA games, in that all the teams would be included in one game rather than making a separate game for each and every league.

I would love it if they could include all the teams from FBS to D3 but I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

It would have to be added on, no way they would make a stand alone. When I played ncaa in college I would always create Winona State and create the stadium and uniforms to look similar. Good times.

Comment

I was actually pondering if any potential college football games could add all FCS, D2, and D3 teams. With NIL being so unregulated (even by free market forces) right now I think it wouldn't even be feasible to have one with all FBS players at the moment. Tell me how a kid can get two cars from a car dealership for no commercial airtime, just to turn around and enter the transfer portal, and that makes economic sense for the company's marketing budget? (Yes I know that is a naive statement.) What would these kids think is fair compensation be to be included for the game?

Just for argument's sake lets say that each player gets a free copy of the game, or give them $60 as the cash equivalent. You know that some players instead of keeping their copy could autograph it and auction it off. (Eating EA's profit margin in the process.) I don't know if some might hold out for more $$$. In that case what do you do? Are we back to QB #14 throws to WR #85 or hands it off to HB #7? If you do then we are back to the O'Bannon issue which killed it the first go-round.

Back to best case scenario, add all of the players up in FBS alone and it is 11,500 players you have to NIL and that is for just those on scholy. Lets say it is stremlined anyway. If there are around 800 schools that play college football, that is around $5 million for just player licencing annually and that is if every player is fine with enough money to buy the game.

Then you have to work on collegiate licencing, which has been an issue in and of itself. Not to mention the CFP, the bowls, and the NCAA if we want to have the "D1"/D2/D3 playoffs.

Then when it comes to FCS/D2/D3, how authentic do you want it to be? If I remember correctly, the FCS teams home games were in generic stadiums, dual sided with grass berms. I was disappointed when I tried to see Montana's stadium on the game and saw that. Will the developers have time to incorporate/build all of the stadiums in college football or will Augustana, and West Florida have the same stadium? What about fight songs? Will the pagentry be limited to FBS?

Granted I want to see it.

I don't know anything about programming but do games have the memory to hold all of that data without glitching/crashing? Granted I stopped playing video games regularly around the time that EA stopped producing NCAA, but from what I heard Madden (RIP John) has major glitches.
                Go Bronchos!

Comment

Forgot to mention, what about freeplay mode? If Nebraska vs Nebraska-Kearney be an option? If so, as Leftsider said, then how do you put equivalent ratings in for D3/D2 starters/backups on a game with players on Ohio State's fourth string? Who will take the time to sort that out? It won't be cheap. There is just so much to untangle.
                  Last edited by UCObluejay; 12-30-2021, 11:10 PM. Reason: Give credit to whom brought it up.
                  Go Bronchos!

Comment

Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post
                    Forgot to mention, what about freeplay mode? If Nebraska vs Nebraska-Kearney be an option? If so, as Leftsider said, then how do you put equivalent ratings in for D3/D2 starters/backups on a game with players on Ohio State's fourth string? Who will take the time to sort that out? It won't be cheap. There is just so much to untangle.

Comment

Would a company like EA be open to it? That is the key. I am sure that you are right that people can/have modded games to fit their goal of having their school in the game.

I know some mentioned NHL and FIFA, while I haven't played those games I wonder how intricate those games are? Are they realistic team rosters or just team templates? Keep in mind FIFA and I suppose NHL with the European clubs are trying to reach a global audience, and have a higher economy of scale. College football not so much, although a large hungry customer pool is there. If they are rather realistic, then that may mean that some yearly version may have D2 teams in it one day.

Just looking at the stadiums list for FIFA, there is a lot of different stadiums, but also some generic ones as well hence my questions.
                      Go Bronchos!

Comment

I highly doubt a D2 game would sell. I wish it would, but I think the market is too small. It's hard to compete with FBS and NFL football in the video gaming world.

On a brighter note...

??????

Comment

No.

Comment

Personally I think a D2 game COULD work. I like the idea of open source but then I think that would become a big muddy mess really quickly as some contributors would intentionally skew stats and player abilities. One thing that might work would be to follow some of the Sim racing games in that you release a basic game and release a sandbox based system of building Stadiums.
                            For example in NR2003, we can build pretty accurately almost any track you can imagine. Set some A.I. parameters, and a few other things and boom you are racing. It wouldn't be really any different for a football stadium. However the difference would then be that the game would likely be PC exclusive which would greatly reduce the sales ability.
                            As for likenesses, there's a workaround. Just don't do it. build a random name generator and have it assign players to rosters.
                            Getting all the D2 schools to sign on might be a bit of a challenge though.
                            Perhaps it would be more of an indy game rather than a EA game? Release it on Steam first as a beta and use the feedback to improve it. Then head for console the next year.

Comment

No. It would not work as a standalone title.

It might work as a DLC, but I wouldn't expect anything beyond uniforms and logos on FBS models.

I am curious about FCS though - as it seems to be gaining more attention in the mainstream.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X