Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions: Name-Image-Likeness

Are there any rules for this mess? Had an attorney tell me each state would be different?!? Can an individual school not allow its students to take part? Is this for Sports only??
    What if a band director knows of a music prodigy who wants to be part of the program. Could he offer NIL?

Most importantly, are there any D2 schools that will have access to NIL monies for their teams??
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

In CA HS athletes can make money on NIL.

Comment

Last year a JCSU football player signed signed an NIL deal with Bojangles (fast food chicken chain).

Comment

A very helpful presentation

https://www.steptoe-johnson.com/cont...iate-athletics

Comment

Very good thank you

Comment

I saw on the Sports last night that the state legislature, in Texas, is considering allowing high school students access to NIL.

NIL is a train wreck.

Comment

Unscrupulous companies and lawyers getting involved? Who knew that could become a train wreck?

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
                Are there any rules for this mess? Had an attorney tell me each state would be different?!? Can an individual school not allow its students to take part? Is this for Sports only??
                What if a band director knows of a music prodigy who wants to be part of the program. Could he offer NIL?

Most importantly, are there any D2 schools that will have access to NIL monies for their teams??
                Well, if a school doesn't want to allow it then they'll have a hard time attracting athletes...AND, they'll be aligned to NCAA's old way of doing things that the Supreme Court has since said wasn't really legit/legal/et al. Band students (along with any other student at any college) can do whatever they want...it was only Student Athletes "governed" by NCAA rules that weren't allowed to earn any $ off of their NIL previously.

Yes, it will be odd and probably a little seedy for a while but it was long overdue and will normalize/sort itself out.

Comment

I know 1st hand CA already has NIL for HS students as a relative of my wife is already involved in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Nicolette View Post

Well, if a school doesn't want to allow it then they'll have a hard time attracting athletes...AND, they'll be aligned to NCAA's old way of doing things that the Supreme Court has since said wasn't really legit/legal/et al. Band students (along with any other student at any college) can do whatever they want...it was only Student Athletes "governed" by NCAA rules that weren't allowed to earn any $ off of their NIL previously.

Yes, it will be odd and probably a little seedy for a while but it was long overdue and will normalize/sort itself out.
                    Agreed. We're watching the pendulum swing hard and fast right now. I imagine we'll see the dust settle on this. Right now everyone's in "guess and check" mode right now. 10 years from now it might look completely different after athletes, schools, and paying parties have a better grasp on what works and makes the most sense.

It's a mess right now, but it's a necessary one. Honestly we have the NCAA's monopoly and unconstitutional practices to thank for it.

Comment

I think an underrated part of what we're seeing is just how many huge changes have been made to college football in such a short time frame. COVID eligibility, the transfer portal/free transfers, the four game redshirt rule from a few years ago, and the NIL rules are all policies that would have taken a long time to normalize, and we got them one after the other in about 3 years.

Comment

I think the reason the NIL has blown up in an unfavorable (or seedy) way has to do a lot with the transfer portal rules. Those were 2 huge changes in favor of the student athlete that on their individual merits are good things and progress, but together created a perfect storm. Because there is no longer a penalty for transferring, you not only have to recruit high school players, but you have to recruit your own players every year. To compete you're going to have to have boosters willing to put money up for NIL in order to keep your own players. Even though NIL is not supposed to be used as a recruiting tool, we've seen many cases where has been (ex. Jordan Addison from Pitt was recruited off of Pitt's roster) and then some schools have predetermined NIL deals in place (ex. every scholarship OL at Texas automatically gets $50,000 annually). I'll never feel good about recruiting other schools rosters, but with the transfer portal the way it is, we're going to continue to see it happen.... A school invests in a kid, he becomes great and another school is able to offer him more money and he's gone.... That's definitely not doing anything to even the playing field for teams, which to me is disappointing. Profiting off of name, image, and likeness is one thing... all this feels a lot more like pay for play. If we're okay with that, then let's call it what it is and stop pretending that this is still amateur sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post
                          I think the reason the NIL has blown up in an unfavorable (or seedy) way has to do a lot with the transfer portal rules. Those were 2 huge changes in favor of the student athlete that on their individual merits are good things and progress, but together created a perfect storm. Because there is no longer a penalty for transferring, you not only have to recruit high school players, but you have to recruit your own players every year. To compete you're going to have to have boosters willing to put money up for NIL in order to keep your own players. Even though NIL is not supposed to be used as a recruiting tool, we've seen many cases where has been (ex. Jordan Addison from Pitt was recruited off of Pitt's roster) and then some schools have predetermined NIL deals in place (ex. every scholarship OL at Texas automatically gets $50,000 annually). I'll never feel good about recruiting other schools rosters, but with the transfer portal the way it is, we're going to continue to see it happen.... A school invests in a kid, he becomes great and another school is able to offer him more money and he's gone.... That's definitely not doing anything to even the playing field for teams, which to me is disappointing. Profiting off of name, image, and likeness is one thing... all this feels a lot more like pay for play. If we're okay with that, then let's call it what it is and stop pretending that this is still amateur sports.
                          FBS hasn't been amateur sports for a while. Not even sure you can call it pretending at this point.

Comment

It has been brought to my attention that Kansas State has an NCAA-approved method to pay all athletes additional money, over and above scholarships, on the basis of performance.
                            An example would be X amount of money based on grade-point average. Also, additional money is based on team performance in competition. A conference championship would bring
                            additional money to every player on the team. Of course additional funds for regional and national titles. I like this idea.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X