Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Washington University dropping "Colonials" nickname

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...24/7635549001/

Division I George Washington University will cease using the "Colonials" nickname as it has been criticized for its association with colonialism.

A new nickname will be determined in the future.

How long until they change the name of the university since George owned slaves?

They are talking about "Hippos" as a possible replacement. That would be unique, but they kill more Africans in a year than any other animal.

George Washington University to drop 'Colonials' nickname (yahoo.com)
    Last edited by laker; 06-15-2022, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
      https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...24/7635549001/

Division I George Washington University will cease using the "Colonials" nickname as it has been criticized for its association with colonialism.

A new nickname will be determined in the future.
      Generally, I take a socially liberal outlook on things. I prescribe to what would be considered "politically correct" points of view.

However, "Colonials" hits me personally. That's the group or subculture I identify with for my own heritage. My forefathers started this great country. It's really who we are. History is not always accurate. I was surprised and experienced weird emotions when I learned that my own ancestors actually owned slaves. That was in Pennsylvania, which wasn't a real common thing.

I wouldn't personally put up a fight about changing the name. I just think it's ill-conceived. Of course, George Mason changed their name from Colonials a couple of years ago. They are a state school so there was a lot of pressure. Colonial Americans didn't try to secede from the United States like Confederates did. Colonials ARE the United States. So, to me, this is in direct contradiction to people who want history taught more accurately. Because if Colonial America is not who we are, or who we are derived from, then what is?

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
        How long until they change the name of the university since George owned slaves?

They are talking about "Hippos" as a possible replacement. That would be unique, but they kill more Africans in a year than any other animal.

George Washington University to drop 'Colonials' nickname (yahoo.com)
        This reminds me of when Long Beach State changed their athletics nickname from 49ers to Sharks a few years back (except for baseball which is still Dirtbags). What did the 49ers do that was so offensive? I haven't heard of people complaining about the San Francisco 49ers nickname.

George Washington Hippos? I've been to Washington DC a couple of times and I didn't seen any hippos. I saw a lot of elephants and donkeys, but no hippos. :D

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Generally, I take a socially liberal outlook on things. I prescribe to what would be considered "politically correct" points of view.

However, "Colonials" hits me personally. That's the group or subculture I identify with for my own heritage. My forefathers started this great country. It's really who we are. History is not always accurate. I was surprised and experienced weird emotions when I learned that my own ancestors actually owned slaves. That was in Pennsylvania, which wasn't a real common thing.

I wouldn't personally put up a fight about changing the name. I just think it's ill-conceived. Of course, George Mason changed their name from Colonials a couple of years ago. They are a state school so there was a lot of pressure. Colonial Americans didn't try to secede from the United States like Confederates did. Colonials ARE the United States. So, to me, this is in direct contradiction to people who want history taught more accurately. Because if Colonial America is not who we are, or who we are derived from, then what is?
          I have ancestors on my Mom's side that go back to colonial Virginia, so I can relate. And I agree, it's ill conceived.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

This reminds me of when Long Beach State changed their athletics nickname from 49ers to Sharks a few years back (except for baseball which is still Dirtbags). What did the 49ers do that was so offensive? I haven't heard of people complaining about the San Francisco 49ers nickname.

George Washington Hippos? I've been to Washington DC a couple of times and I didn't seen any hippos. I saw a lot of elephants and donkeys, but no hippos. :D
            LBSU can't make up their minds on anything. They changed their colors from brown and gold to black and gold . Were the 49ers and now has unofficially The Beach, The Sharks, The Dirtbags.... Katy Perry should make a song about them.

Long Beach State Beach - Wikipedia

Comment

Dixie State has rebranded several times in the past 15 years.

Dixie State Rebels
              Dixie State Red Storm
              Dixie State Trailblazers
              Utah Tech Trailblazers

Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

LBSU can't make up their minds on anything. They changed their colors from brown and gold to black and gold . Were the 49ers and now has unofficially The Beach, The Sharks, The Dirtbags.... Katy Perry should make a song about them.

Long Beach State Beach - Wikipedia
                I'm a SoCal native and have seen someone wearing Long Beach gear just once in my life. That's it, once. And that was a Dirtbags shirt. I thought the name was cool and that's why I remembered.

Comment

I truly understand the changing of names that are offensive. When is enough, enough? Does this mean the Colonial Athletic Association needs to change its name? George Washington was also a slave owner, so should we be calling for the name change of the school? Removal from the Nickel and Dollar Bill? What about the nation's capital? Punishing for the past instead of learning from it can cause the future to be worse than the past. Just my thoughts!

Comment

Originally posted by realignmentreport1 View Post
                    I truly understand the changing of names that are offensive. When is enough, enough? Does this mean the Colonial Athletic Association needs to change its name? George Washington was also a slave owner, so should we be calling for the name change of the school? Removal from the Nickel and Dollar Bill? What about the nation's capital? Punishing for the past instead of learning from it can cause the future to be worse than the past. Just my thoughts!
                    I hear ya'. Like some other movements, I think the name changers started out with good intentions but it's gone too far. What's next, rename Washington state?

??????
                    Last edited by crixus; 06-17-2022, 12:55 PM.

Comment

This seems like a bit of an overreach to me, but then again - it doesn't really affect me, nor will anyone remember this in 6 months.

I think the hysteria on both sides of the aisle is getting a little old.

Comment

At what point do we draw the line in the proverbial sand and say this is enough?
                        Okay, sure, I get the idea that Native American's can be offended by the Redskins name. I have no real objection to schools wanting to change their nicknames. Heck, a rebrand can be a great thing for marketing. But at what point are we taking this too far?
                        So we eliminate all Native American imagery and nicknames from sports.... Okay. We remove statues and monuments to confederates and try to effectively erase the history behind those, let's not forget there are people out there pushing to have the entire civil war and all of it's various issues removed from textbooks and not taught in schools (I sincerely hope that never happen as that history is still important to who we are as a country).... Okay.
                        Now you're telling me that the name Colonials is offensive? Is the nickname Pioneers offensive? How about Washburn's Ichabods? Will PETA get involved and we eliminate animal mascots and nicknames?
                        Case in point, when I was in middle school our nickname was the Blue Devils. After I had graduated High School, there was a group of parents pushing to eliminate the Blue Devils because it was "racist, (yep they claimed it) and Demonic and indoctrinated our youth into satanism. The same group wanted to eliminate all athletic competition because it wasn't fair that only a handful of students made the teams. Their solution to the nickname..... They wanted to rename the school the rainbows.
                        I kid you not.

Maybe all sports teams should go the route of Minor League baseball and give themselves the most outrageous and silly names they can come up with.

Comment

Worth noting, the petition that got the referendum started was approved by 2% (520 students) of the student body. Then the actual referendum was voted on by 19% of the students. Breaking it down to numbers about 2,500 voters are forcing a change on 26,000 students.

Comment

Seems like there is no end to the list of names small groups of people can't find some offense to. Worth noting, New York is named for the Duke of York (later King James II). The good Duke commanded the UK fleet during the Anglo-Dutch War and directed them to attack and take Dutch African forts which the UK used to engage in the slave trade, which the Duke oversaw as the head of the Royal Africa Company. Sooooooo...I guess we need to change the name of New York and NYC? Anyone in favor of New Hippostan???

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                              Seems like there is no end to the list of names small groups of people can't find some offense to. Worth noting, New York is named for the Duke of York (later King James II). The good Duke commanded the UK fleet during the Anglo-Dutch War and directed them to attack and take Dutch African forts which the UK used to engage in the slave trade, which the Duke oversaw as the head of the Royal Africa Company. Sooooooo...I guess we need to change the name of New York and NYC? Anyone in favor of New Hippostan???
                              They could go back to the name New Amsterdam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Amsterdam
                              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X