Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IowaBearcat View Post

Any team name really. Names change all the time when teams move. No one really cares and people get upset just because they want to get upset about something.

Washington Bullets now the Wizards.

Houston Oilers left and became the Titans, they picked Texans when they re-expanded.

Tampa Bay Devil Rays are just the Rays now (nothing to do with "devil")

Charlotte Bobcats back to the Hornets after the New Orleans Hornets changed to Pelicans.

Ole Miss changed their mascot 20 years ago and few made a peep.

Stanford was the Indians before changing their name 50 years ago to the Cardinal.

Like you said, emotional damage!
    Ironically, George Washington University is not the first name of the school - it changed names twice. Were people in 1873 angry about the name change? Possibly, but unlikely.

I just didn't realize how many GWU fans we had on a D2 football board. A small, largely athletically irrelevant school in a city where few posters live has quite the fanbase here.

I wish I had the time to be offended over the name change for a mascot for a team who's biggest athletic accomplishment was beating *checks notes* the University of New Mexico in 1993. How will we go on? lol

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      Worth noting, the petition that got the referendum started was approved by 2% (520 students) of the student body. Then the actual referendum was voted on by 19% of the students. Breaking it down to numbers about 2,500 voters are forcing a change on 26,000 students.
      Last edited by IUPNation; 06-21-2022, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Ironically, George Washington University is not the first name of the school - it changed names twice. Were people in 1873 angry about the name change? Possibly, but unlikely.

I just didn't realize how many GWU fans we had on a D2 football board. A small, largely athletically irrelevant school in a city where few posters live has quite the fanbase here.

I wish I had the time to be offended over the name change for a mascot for a team who's biggest athletic accomplishment was beating *checks notes* the University of New Mexico in 1993. How will we go on? lol
        Basically, you are criticizing people who show interest in something and the basis for your criticism is that you have no interest in it.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Basically, you are criticizing people who show interest in something and the basis for your criticism is that you have no interest in it.
          Your claim is absolutely wrong, but it begs the question - am I not allowed to criticize now?

You've been wrong twice, but please do tell when I'm allowed too and when I'm not. I'm genuinely curious.

Comment

Both sides of this argument are ridiculous. This whole thread reads like a bunch of kids at elementary school. Dramatic overreactions on both sides. No wonder we are where we are.

Comment

Your claim is absolutely wrong, but it begs the question - am I not allowed to criticize now?

You've been wrong twice, but please do tell when I'm allowed too and when I'm not. I'm genuinely curious.
              Well, I've decided that I'm going to mind my own business and just stay in the PSAC forum. Conversations like this aren't worthy of my participation.

So, no further replies from me, Mustang. I sincerely hope you have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Well, I've decided that I'm going to mind my own business and just stay in the PSAC forum. Conversations like this aren't worthy of my participation.

So, no further replies from me, Mustang. I sincerely hope you have a nice day.
                I appreciate the irony.

In any case, that works for me. Later.
                Last edited by SW_Mustang; 06-22-2022, 09:37 AM.

Comment

I recall a few angry posts by you and other IUP faithful about the stupidity of the name change AND the name IUP changed to.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I recall a few angry posts by you and other IUP faithful about the stupidity of the name change AND the name IUP changed to.
                    Last edited by IUPNation; 06-23-2022, 07:09 AM.

Comment

I never understood the American obsession with naming teams after the people from a country in east Asia.

Kinda glad Mankato switched 40+ years ago. Mavericks is a lot cooler.

Comment

I never understood the American obsession with naming teams after the people from a country in east Asia.

Kinda glad Mankato switched 40+ years ago. Mavericks is a lot cooler.
                        Fighting Muskies would have been even cooler.

https://www.mankatofreepress.com/new...a2546.amp.html

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post

Fighting Muskies would have been even cooler.

https://www.mankatofreepress.com/new...a2546.amp.html
                          ABA team 1967-68 that became the Floridians.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

ABA team 1967-68 that became the Floridians.

I was in second grade in '67-'68 living in North Carolina (Cougars fan). I liked the ABA, especially when Dr. J came on the scene in the 70's with the Virginia Squires.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

I was in second grade in '67-'68 living in North Carolina (Cougars fan). I liked the ABA, especially when Dr. J came on the scene in the 70's with the Virginia Squires.
                              I was in 8th grade that year. I wish I had been able to see the Muskies- and the Pipers the next year- but never got a chance to see an ABA game.

I would watch the ABA playoffs on Saturday afternoons- Dr J was unbelievable. I would watch him and go out to practice some of his moves after the games. Couldn't match him of course but when I would play against my buddies they had never seen that kind of stuff before. Seeing him, Earl the Pearl Monroe and Pete Maravich play was astounding.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

I was in 8th grade that year. I wish I had been able to see the Muskies- and the Pipers the next year- but never got a chance to see an ABA game.

I would watch the ABA playoffs on Saturday afternoons- Dr J was unbelievable. I would watch him and go out to practice some of his moves after the games. Couldn't match him of course but when I would play against my buddies they had never seen that kind of stuff before. Seeing him, Earl the Pearl Monroe and Pete Maravich play was astounding.
                                I didn't get to see any Cougars games live in person, only on TV. My Dad wasn't a basketball fan, just football and baseball. Yep, Dr. J was something else. The original free throw line dunker! Monroe and Maravich were great too, that's for sure.

??????
                                Last edited by crixus; 06-24-2022, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X