Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably GVSU, is Tuskegee still drawing a big crowd? I was impressed with Northern State myself.

Comment

While the Pitt fans will mock their Saturday spectacle on a week to week basis playing there in 2010 for a relatively packed crowd was an awesome atmosphere same could be said with NW.

Some May hound me for this but I feel like Lindenwood would be an insane atmosphere if they put some butts in the stands. That stadium is awesome. I’m sure when they were winning a lot prior to moving to D2 that place would get rocking.

Comment

I tend to be pretty insular in my D2 fandom so have not looked much into the stadiums outside of the SAC and CIAA. With that being said, Pitt State, GVSU, Tuskeegee, and West Texas A&M seem like incredible atmospheres/venues. I have also been to Shepherd before and can confirm that it is a nice place to watch a game and in a beautiful location! Would be remiss to not include the new and improved Moretz Stadium in this list, I'm biased but there is no better place to watch a football game than a packed house 'between the bricks.'

https://twitter.com/LRbears/status/1557402176212828161

Comment

Originally posted by BEARS View Post
          I tend to be pretty insular in my D2 fandom so have not looked much into the stadiums outside of the SAC and CIAA. With that being said, Pitt State, GVSU, Tuskeegee, and West Texas A&M seem like incredible atmospheres/venues. I have also been to Shepherd before and can confirm that it is a nice place to watch a game and in a beautiful location! Would be remiss to not include the new and improved Moretz Stadium in this list, I'm biased but there is no better place to watch a football game than a packed house 'between the bricks.'

https://twitter.com/LRbears/status/1557402176212828161
          Yep, take a good look because with the SAC's new pay-for-view format for watching any SAC football games, aside from paying the fee, only the gate paying visitors to the games will ever see the stadium in action.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
            I'm blatantly biased, but for me, the atmosphere is mostly dictated by the fans. True, looking at mountains or water enhances views, but I'm not at a scenic turnout looking from an overlook. I'm at a stadium to watch football. Case in point. Lubbers (GVSU) has no compare when it has over 10k fans in the stadium. The, vibe, band, players, fans,sightlines etc, all contribute to a great atmosphere. But those later season games with questionable weather reduces attendance. This can even apply to some playoff games. The atmosphere is markedly different and bordering on .... Meh.

So, I've not been to many of the big draw programs, but a packed house will have the biggest influence for atmosphere for me. A barely partially filled great stadium doesn't do it. So, for me, Shepherd and NWMS should be right up there. I suspect Piit, and CSU and maybe Midwestern(?) can also be on the list. I'll be checking CSU out in Sept. Not sure I'll see Pitt anytime soon. And for me, having one or two games a season with great atmosphere doesn't cut it.
            Appreciate the Shepherd shout out. That game against GVSU was a great playoff game and the crowd you guys brought made it that much more electric. Ram Stadium certainly isn't the biggest venue, but it can get loud with the stands right on top of the field essentially. Playoff games regardless of weather are very well attended by the local community and alumni base. The UNA vs Shepherd national semifinal the year later in 2016 set a record for attendance and it had to be 10 degrees that day.

Comment

Originally posted by washeduptiger View Post
              While the Pitt fans will mock their Saturday spectacle on a week to week basis playing there in 2010 for a relatively packed crowd was an awesome atmosphere same could be said with NW.

Some May hound me for this but I feel like Lindenwood would be an insane atmosphere if they put some butts in the stands. That stadium is awesome. I’m sure when they were winning a lot prior to moving to D2 that place would get rocking.
              Pitt fell off during the later Tim Beck years which is what happens when you break the huddle and put 3 punters back in formation. Crowd started to come back last year a nd if we are 4-1 or 5-0 when NW comes to town it should be a great atmosphere. I went there 90-94 but probably the loudest I ever heard it was the 2011 playoff game vs Delta State. We heard all week about "Southern" speed. https://youtu.be/YVhZj4VMRhc

Comment

[QUOTE=Wallst;n688355]

Pitt fell off during the later Tim Beck years which is what happens when you break the huddle and put 3 punters back in formation.

Beck's version of the triple option.

Comment

Atmosphere has been lacking recently because of poor on-field performance, but as a stadium, the Superior Dome at Northern MI University is so freaking cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallst View Post

Pitt fell off during the later Tim Beck years which is what happens when you break the huddle and put 3 punters back in formation. Crowd started to come back last year a nd if we are 4-1 or 5-0 when NW comes to town it should be a great atmosphere. I went there 90-94 but probably the loudest I ever heard it was the 2011 playoff game vs Delta State. We heard all week about "Southern" speed. https://youtu.be/YVhZj4VMRhc

oof I had the wrong year. Played there 2014. 2011 was their NC run.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallst View Post

I think JJ and SS with their "need for greed" dis as much to hurt the atmosphere as losing did. At least that's the townie vibe. The entire relationship between the town and the school is not what it once was.

The tailgate is still huge, but it has become corporate dominated.

Hopefully winning will help to rebuild it, but even with the playoffs in play late in the year last season the place never got anywhere close to full.

Comment

Best football venue in my career is Lubbers Stadium at GVSU. ESU played there in the NCAA semis in 2005. Outrageous student section. Seating on all 4 sides yet not an enclosed grandstand. Could be the best homefield advantage with the crowd as close as it is to the field.

Second would be Lenoir-Rhyne. Something about the brickwork in that stadium and the rectangle shape of the stadium makes it a special place to watch/call a game. Extra bonus: Bermuda grass field that looked like a fairway. FORE!!!

Comment

Sadly no longer used in D2 for football, HSU's Redwood Bowl was a great venue surrounded by Redwood trees. I remember it used to be on these lists for its beauty.

SFU should get an honorable mention for a drunk fan entering the broadcast booth.

Comment

I went to Pitt from 2001 to 2007. During that period we had an incredible atmosphere and some damn good teams. MIAA as a whole was pretty solid. Even Truman State got a piece of that championship pie. The band and Student section dead center of the opponent bench, the heckling that would get under the other teams skin. Even getting coaches pissed off and jawing with us. GREAT TIMES. We would fill CSS even the upper deck was typically full. the Tailgating would continue throughout the game. Lots of people would hang out just to tailgate.
                            A lot of that died down over the last few years. We used to sit on the fire escape at Sig Tau to watch the game before the university got mad and put a stop to it. Then they built the video board there.

I also absolutely had a blast at Lubbers and Bemidji was a great atmosphere and lots of great friendly fans who just wanted to hear about KS and Pitt. Loved Bemidji's stadium

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X