Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFP Expanding To 12 Teams

The College Football Playoff's board of managers voted Friday to expand the CFP to 12 teams in 2026, but it is encouraging the sport's commissioners to try to implement it as soon as 2024.

Wonder if they tried to implement a maximum number of teams from a league like rumored before when folks wanted to apparently cap the SEC at 3.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post
      Wonder if they tried to implement a maximum number of teams from a league like rumored before when folks wanted to apparently cap the SEC at 3.
      I don't know, but that's a very good question.

Comment

Sounded like six conference champs and six at large.
        Luck is where Preparation meets Opportunity

Comment

Originally posted by voicefromthestands View Post
          Sounded like six conference champs and six at large.
          It's going to be the six highest ranked conference champs. Guarantees at least one G5 champ gets into the playoffs. Have my fingers crossed for a scenario where a P5 champ doesn't get an automatic bid (or even misses the playoffs altogether) because they were ranked too low. The subsequent whining from that fanbase will be hilarious.

From what some people have said this format could possibly have an effect on conference realignment. Haven't had it broken down to me how that would/could happen though.

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post

It's going to be the six highest ranked conference champs. Guarantees at least one G5 champ gets into the playoffs. Have my fingers crossed for a scenario where a P5 champ doesn't get an automatic bid (or even misses the playoffs altogether) because they were ranked too low. The subsequent whining from that fanbase will be hilarious.

From what some people have said this format could possibly have an effect on conference realignment. Haven't had it broken down to me how that would/could happen though.
            If your scenario plays out it'll probably be the PAC 12. I think they're the weakest of the P5 conferences overall.

Comment

They can correct this "problem" by increasing the number of playoff teams from 12 to 24. Heck, why should anyone get a bye...let's make it a nice round 32 teams!!

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

If your scenario plays out it'll probably be the PAC 12. I think they're the weakest of the P5 conferences overall.
                What's going to be left of the Big 12 ain't much to write home about either. Honestly they're going to be better off merging.

Ideally, I would like them to say somewhere that the conference champion winners are likely going to get dibs on those bye weeks, at least as things stand now, the Big Ten, the SEC, and a currently intact ACC would be worthy of those byes short of say some 3 loss team from one the weak division of the conference somehow manages to trip up the powerhouse of the other division and win the conference championship game.

Comment

Here's some random stats for you. This is all during the College Football Playoff Era

1. Kansas has the lowest win % in conference games amongst all FBS schools (5-66, 7%) and is the only FBS school with less than 20 overall wins in the playoff era.

2. Despite only reaching the MAC title game once, Toledo has the highest conference win % at 69% (43-19 vs MAC).

3. USC and their fans receive a ton of grief for not being the power it once was. But did you know the Trojans have the highest win % in Pac-12 games since 2014?

4. There are a dozen schools (if you count Notre Dame's one year in the ACC) that have won 70% or higher of their conference games:
                  Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, Appalachian State, Oklahoma, Boise State, Georgia, Wisconsin, UAB, San Diego State and Louisiana.

5.There are only six schools who have averaged double digit wins in the playoff era:
                  Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Appalachian State. All have won 80+ games.

6. Here are the Top Ten Winningest programs during the CFP era
                  FBS W L W %
                  1 Alabama SEC 104 10 91.2%
                  2 Ohio St. Big Ten 93 11 89.4%
                  3 Clemson ACC 99 13 88.4%
                  4 Oklahoma Big 12 86 19 81.9%
                  5 Georgia SEC 86 21 80.4%
                  6 Appalachian SUN BELT 80 24 76.9%
                  7 Boise St. MOUNTAIN WEST 76 24 76.0%
                  8 Notre Dame fbs independent 76 26 74.5%
                  9 Wisconsin Big Ten 76 26 74.5%
                  10 San Diego St. MOUNTAIN WEST 72 30 70.6%

7. And here are the ten biggest losers.
                  10 Rutgers Big Ten 29 66 30.5%
                  9 Vanderbilt SEC 29 66 30.5%
                  8 Oregon St. PAC-12 28 64 30.4%
                  7 UTEP C-USA 28 66 29.8%
                  6 Texas St. SUN BELT 26 70 27.1%
                  5 New Mexico St. fbs independent 23 64 26.4%
                  4 UNLV MOUNTAIN WEST 24 67 26.4%
                  3 Uconn fbs independent 18 67 21.2%
                  2 Massachusetts fbs independent 18 70 20.5%
                  1 Kansas Big 12 14 79 15.1%

8. And just for giggles, North Dakota State is 106-10 since 2014. Lol. That's just ridiculous.

Comment

Correction to above. Kansas is one of 3 below 20. Meant to type less than 15 wins.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X