Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D2 Head Football Coaches On The Hot Seat

Season's still a bit early, but based on the trends and results so far, there has to be a number of D2 Head Coaches already on the hot seat.

What programs do you foresee making changes at the end (or before) of this season?

Paul Winters at Wayne State should have been let go after a 2 win season in 2019 and again after a 2 win season in 2021. And yet, here he is. At this point, I think our AD is either unserious about football, or thinks that it's still 2010 and 2011 when WSU could duck Ferris and Grand Valley. Since 2011, Paul is 13-30 (.302) against the teams that are currently in the GLIAC, despite posting a 40-43 (.482) GLIAC record in that same time frame. Things aren't looking any better now at 1-2 with a loss to D3 Wisconsin-LaCrosse and a game that was over in 3 drives against SRU.

It's a lot like the last years of Mark Dantonio at Michigan State. Neither should have had license to tear down what they built.

Comment

I doubt he's on the hot seat but Roger Waialae out of West Liberty is about decade overdue on his being let go. West Liberty is a fully funded program in SR1 (tremendous advantage, very few are) in a fertile recruiting ground with Western PA and East Ohio within an hours drive.

Comment

Originally posted by mtsax305 View Post
        Paul Winters at Wayne State should have been let go after a 2 win season in 2019
        Didn't Wayne State win 8 games in 2019 and finish second in the GLIAC?

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Didn't Wayne State win 8 games in 2019 and finish second in the GLIAC?
          That was his best finish since making the 2011 Natty and probably what saved his job. The man has been around almost 20 years and all we have to show for it are a shared division trophy, 1 insanely awesome postseason run, and 1 win vs Grand Valley. No GLIAC titles. No other playoff appearances. Almost guaranteed blowouts vs Ferris, Grand Valley, and even Saginaw nowadays.

Like I said, it's pretty comparable to Mark Dantonio's last years at MSU. Took them to the top, then got very average, very quickly.
          Last edited by mtsax305; 09-22-2022, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Definitely should be Hunter Hughes at WT as they are in danger of missing the playoff again for almost 10 years straight if they lose this weekend.

Comment

I think WSSU's alums are ready to stage a mutiny lol

Comment

CSU-Pueblo can't be happy with the direction their program is going, I don't know that Wristen will ever get fired but the program is quickly headed towards mediocrity.

Comment

I hear their head coach is a class act, but I believe the UNC Pembroke fans and boosters are growing tired of just so so results in recent years. They have great resources and nice facilities located in a hotbed of high school talent in that general southeastern region of NC, combined with a rapid growing enrollment at UNCP.

Comment

Nothing's ever as bad as it looks four weeks into the season, but in 11 seasons, Chadron State has gone from a playoff team to staring down an 0-5 start under their head coach. They just got whipped 56-28 this weekend by a bunch of former CSC coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by gr8ness97 View Post
                      If they lose to Lincoln this week he's probably out of there. An 0-5 start at Winston won't be tolerated. They've fallen off hard.

Comment

Originally posted by gr8ness97 View Post
                        Can't blame them one bit. Unfortunately, they may be stuck for a while unless some money is put up for a buyout. WSSU signed Massey to a four year contract in December.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                          Season's still a bit early, but based on the trends and results so far, there has to be a number of D2 Head Coaches already on the hot seat.

What programs do you foresee making changes at the end (or before) of this season?
                          UMary is looking to build a new 30 million dollar stadium in 6 years. 1-10, 2-9 seasons wont do anything in terms of fundraising and excitement around the program. UMary has one of the most dynamic offensive players in the country in WR Danny Kittner and they are 0-4. Moral victories do not move the needle in today's day and age. Need wins, would not mind seeing some urgency.

Comment

Originally posted by mtsax305 View Post
                            Paul Winters at Wayne State should have been let go after a 2 win season in 2019 and again after a 2 win season in 2021. And yet, here he is. At this point, I think our AD is either unserious about football, or thinks that it's still 2010 and 2011 when WSU could duck Ferris and Grand Valley. Since 2011, Paul is 13-30 (.302) against the teams that are currently in the GLIAC, despite posting a 40-43 (.482) GLIAC record in that same time frame. Things aren't looking any better now at 1-2 with a loss to D3 Wisconsin-LaCrosse and a game that was over in 3 drives against SRU.

It's a lot like the last years of Mark Dantonio at Michigan State. Neither should have had license to tear down what they built.
                            Sounds like Winters just signed an extension this summer, not sure the exact details of the deal, but it appears that it’s a multiple year deal. I highly doubt they would ever offer a by out of his contract. So expect Winters to be around a while still.

Comment

Easy and this is a no-brainer. Rich Wright at Northwest Missouri State. He lost a regular season game. Plus he lost to a guy who used to be Northwest's coach and has only been at his current school for four games. Rich Wright will be lucky to make it through the end of the season.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X