Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D2Football.com Fan Poll

Last week the NSIC board had an interesting (at least to me) discussion on the national polls. As always, there were posters questioning how teams were ranked in both the AFCA and the D2Football.com polls. So our excellent NSIC columnist Witt challenged the posters to come up with their own rankings. There were a few of us that took Witt up on that and I found it to be a very interesting experiment. It is not as easy as you may think. I thought I would start a thread here to see if any others wanted to try their hand. I will post my personal rankings later tonight and hopefully a few others will try it too.

1. Ferris
    2-25 Doesnt Matter

Comment

1. Ferris St
      2. Grand Valley St
      3. Angelo St
      4. Ouachita
      5. Pittsburg St
      6. Colorado Mines
      7. West Georgia
      8. NE Kearney
      9. Harding
      10. Saginaw Valley
      11. Delta St
      12. West Florida
      13. Augustana
      14. Virginia Union
      15. Valdosta St.
      16. Slippery Rock
      17. Shepherd
      18. Washburn
      19. Indianapolis
      20. Ashland
      21. NW Missouri St
      22. Albany GA
      23. Sioux Falls
      24. Newberry
      25. Lenoir-Rhyne

Comment

That's a great idea. We actually used to have a weekly fan poll for 3 or 4 years a while back. I can't remember who started it but there was probably 10 to 15 of us who polled and it was averaged in weekly.
        The guy had a whole website we would submit to.
        BigMRG might remember it. I know he was one of the pollsters as well.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post
          1. Ferris
          2-25 Doesnt Matter
          Ferris needs to win its first two conference games before I crown them

Comment

Originally posted by psugorilla View Post
            That's a great idea. We actually used to have a weekly fan poll for 3 or 4 years a while back. I can't remember who started it but there was probably 10 to 15 of us who polled and it was averaged in weekly.
            The guy had a whole website we would submit to.
            BigMRG might remember it. I know he was one of the pollsters as well.
            Yeah, that was a pretty good set up. I'd post mine today, but not doing one weekly, I don't know jack about too many teams this year. There have been some odd adjustments with this year's polls but I suspect no more than normal. Personally, as I look at a poll, I typically question if a team deserves to be as highly ranked as they are, but then I wonder who should be above and why. It's more validated when one compares two teams and who might beat who in the matchup. I think that's why so many times I found teams from a particular region being ranked higher than I would rank them. I can't see certain teams winning against some others. And silo scheduling hasn't made ranking more accurate either.. though I respect that transitory thing for potential wins and losses.

Comment

I never put too much stock in to any top 25 poll, because at the D-II level, almost nobody watches enough D-II football to actually have an accurate assessment of teams from around the country. In the AFCA poll, you'd be hard-pressed to find any coaches or SID's who watch D-II football outside of their own team, let alone outside of their own conference and nationally. So when it comes to the top 25 polls at the D-II level, I'd give more stock in the D2football poll than the AFCA poll, because at least a couple of the D2football voters watch national games and not just one conference or region.

Overall, it's most likely going to follow the pattern of undefeated teams, and then 1-loss teams, and then 2-loss teams, with a couple schools ranked higher than others based on reputation. But there's almost nobody who can accurately give a decent national ranking because very few people actually watch enough games to analyze like that.
              2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

1. Ferris State
                2. Grand Valley State
                3. Angelo State
                4. Ouachita Baptist
                5. Colorado School of Mines
                6.Pittsburg State
                7. Delta State
                8. West Georgia
                9. Shepherd
                10.Northwest Missouri State
                11. Harding
                12. Augustana
                13. Slippery Rock
                14. Valdosta State
                15. West Florida
                16.Nebraska-Kearney
                17. Virginia Union
                18. Ashland
                19. Saginaw Valley State
                20. Indianapolis
                21. Newberry
                22. IUP
                23. Sioux Falls
                24. Texas A&M-Kingsville
                25. Albany State
                Last edited by Gliac_fan10; 09-26-2022, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
                  I never put too much stock in to any top 25 poll, because at the D-II level, almost nobody watches enough D-II football to actually have an accurate assessment of teams from around the country. In the AFCA poll, you'd be hard-pressed to find any coaches or SID's who watch D-II football outside of their own team, let alone outside of their own conference and nationally. So when it comes to the top 25 polls at the D-II level, I'd give more stock in the D2football poll than the AFCA poll, because at least a couple of the D2football voters watch national games and not just one conference or region.

Overall, it's most likely going to follow the pattern of undefeated teams, and then 1-loss teams, and then 2-loss teams, with a couple schools ranked higher than others based on reputation. But there's almost nobody who can accurately give a decent national ranking because very few people actually watch enough games to analyze like that.
                  Very good posts and discussion here. Kle, I very much agree with your take on the order of unbeaten teams, 1 loss, and such....and we've discussed that many look at this almost like standings..instead of clearing your mind and re-ranking the teams weekly based upon recent historical data (especially when few games have been played yet in a season) along with how a team has performed, and played, in the current season.

Comment

It may be best to run something like this through an online form; it would be easier to collect the output into a complete ranking.

Comment

Originally posted by Gliac_fan10 View Post
                      1. Ferris State
                      2. Grand Valley State
                      3. Angelo State
                      4. Ouachita Baptist
                      6.Pittsburg State
                      7. Delta State
                      8. West Georgia
                      9. Shepherd
                      11. Harding
                      12. Augustana
                      13. Slippery Rock
                      14. Valdosta State
                      15. West Florida
                      16.Nebraska-Kearney
                      17. Virginia Union
                      18. Ashland
                      19. Saginaw Valley State
                      20. Indianapolis
                      21. Newberry
                      22. IUP
                      23. Sioux Falls
                      24. Texas A&M-Kingsville
                      25. Albany State
                      I would tap the breaks on Kingsville. Their first two games were against non D2 high school competition and the other two games were against mediocre teams at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Gliac_fan10 View Post
                        1. Ferris State
                        2. Grand Valley State
                        3. Angelo State
                        4. Ouachita Baptist
                        6.Pittsburg State
                        7. Delta State
                        8. West Georgia
                        9. Shepherd
                        11. Harding
                        12. Augustana
                        13. Slippery Rock
                        14. Valdosta State
                        15. West Florida
                        16.Nebraska-Kearney
                        17. Virginia Union
                        18. Ashland
                        19. Saginaw Valley State
                        20. Indianapolis
                        21. Newberry
                        22. IUP
                        23. Sioux Falls
                        24. Texas A&M-Kingsville
                        25. Albany State
                        My ballot looks a lot more like this than it does the AFCA results..tbh.

I didn't have the top 3 teams that lost dropping all that far....the AFCA punted them down in a group that I think they are flat out better than.

Here's the thing with the AFCA....if you start out ranked in the top 25..and haven't lost yet, you might be in the top 10 now..as long as you've won. Mines still beats 90% of the teams listed..they just lost to two of the best squads on the page.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

I didn't have the top 3 teams that lost dropping all that far....the AFCA punted them down in a group that I think they are flat out better than.

Here's the thing with the AFCA....if you start out ranked in the top 25..and haven't lost yet, you might be in the top 10 now..as long as you've won. Mines still beats 90% of the teams listed..they just lost to two of the best squads on the page.
                          Lost both games by 3, I might add. One in OT and if the kicker was on would have beat Grand Valley. Just think if Mines didn't have the leaping penalty on the missed field goal and gave him a second chance the Angelo game would have been different. It is good though you are giving Mines credit.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I would tap the breaks on Kingsville. Their first two games were against non D2 high school competition and the other two games were against mediocre teams at best.
                            I agree with you and I’m sure you have a better feel on Lone Star football than I do. I just know here in the Midwest everyone is pretty high on SVSU and IMHO SV and Kingsville and damn near the same team to this point, statistically near identical and opponents very similar. I think WT is a top 40 team and better than Bowie. So all that to say I don’t see SVSU’s ranking justified if Kingsville isn’t getting some love.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Agree, I think at all levels of college football, polls tend to be that way. That is why I do like the CFP poll, that they wait and they just try and rank best to worst, regardless of all the other details. From what I’ve seen so far there is a clear cut top 12ish as far as good teams. And Mines and those who lost this past weekend are in that 12ish

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X