19. Newberry (4-1)
    20. Slippery Rock (4-1)
    21. Colorado School of Mines (3-2)
    22t. Albany State (4-1)
    22t. Texas A&M-Kingsville (5-0)
    24. Nebraska-Kearney (4-1)
    25. Saginaw Valley State (4-1)

Others Receiving Votes
    Augustana, New Haven, Benedict, Henderson State, Limestone, Western Colorado, Valdosta State, Assumption, Davenport, Truman State, Carson-Newman, Emporia State, Minnesota State-Mankato

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
    AFCA Division II Top 25 (10/3)
    1. Ferris State (29) (4-0)
    2. Grand Valley State (1) (5-0)
    3. Angelo State (5-0)
    4. Shepherd (5-0)
    5. Ouachita Baptist (5-0)
    6. Ashland (4-0)
    7. Pittsburg State (5-0)
    8. Indianapolis (4-0)
    9. Northwest Missouri State (4-1)
    10. West Florida (3-1)
    11. Harding (4-1)
    12. Virginia Union (5-0)
    13. Delta State (5-0)
    14. Lenoir-Rhyne (4-1)
    15. West Georgia (3-1)
    16. Notre Dame (4-1)
    17. Sioux Falls (5-0)
    18. Indiana (PA) (4-0)
    19. Newberry (4-1)
    20. Slippery Rock (4-1)
    21. Colorado School of Mines (3-2)
    22t. Albany State (4-1)
    22t. Texas A&M-Kingsville (5-0)
    24. Nebraska-Kearney (4-1)
    25. Saginaw Valley State (4-1)

Others Receiving Votes
    Augustana, New Haven, Benedict, Henderson State, Limestone, Western Colorado, Valdosta State, Assumption, Davenport, Truman State, Carson-Newman, Emporia State, Minnesota State-Mankato
    I love that GV keeps voting themselves #1 lol (I'm assuming).
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

I love that GV keeps voting themselves #1 lol (I'm assuming).
      Really? Wouldn't it more likely be that Northern team? Can a coach vote for his own team? GLIAC doesn't allow it. Does AFCA?

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Really? Wouldn't it more likely be that Northern team? Can a coach vote for his own team? GLIAC doesn't allow it. Does AFCA?
        There's only 30 coaches who vote in the poll, and Mitchell is one of them. So if he's not voting for his own team, he's voting for Ferris. I would be kind of concerned if he *wasn't* voting for his own team in this situation. Coaches can vote for their own teams since there's only 30 people who vote in it.

Comment

Who in the Holy Name of Dolly Parton voted for us?

excuse me, wow carson newman got votes. Hehe

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post

In all honesty, I think this year the SAC has more quality teams than the GSC. I could be wrong but the SAC is going to be a dawg fight to the finish for both divisions. GSC looking like a one team race.

Comment

There's only 30 coaches who vote in the poll, and Mitchell is one of them. So if he's not voting for his own team, he's voting for Ferris. I would be kind of concerned if he *wasn't* voting for his own team in this situation. Coaches can vote for their own teams since there's only 30 people who vote in it.
              First you laugh at GV voting for themselves, then turn around and say you’d be concerned if they didn’t? That was a quick flip flop!

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

First you laugh at GV voting for themselves, then turn around and say you’d be concerned if they didn’t? That was a quick flip flop!
                lol what? I'm pointing out that generally we get unanimous #1's in this poll. This year it isn't happening and it's always just the 1 vote for GV, because of the happenstance that GV's coach is one of the 30 voters out of the 100+ schools in D-II football. That's why it's funny to constantly see the (1) and prevent it from being unanimous.

Comment

lol what? I'm pointing out that generally we get unanimous #1's in this poll. This year it isn't happening and it's always just the 1 vote for GV, because of the happenstance that GV's coach is one of the 30 voters out of the 100+ schools in D-II football. That's why it's funny to constantly see the (1) and prevent it from being unanimous.
                  :) I’m just pointing out that I thought it was funny. All good. I also forgot to put the smiley face at the end of it, and didn’t want to go back to edit.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post

And so did Limestone who was 0-9 last year and 1-3 in the COVID spring ball.

Comment

… one of the 30 voters out of the 100+ schools in D-II football.
                      Wow. I hadn’t realized it was only a subset of the coaches who got to vote. Is it based on seniority or something? I can see not particularly wanting coaches who have never been associated with DII voting their first year, but I’m curious why only 30.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFromMI View Post

And so did Limestone who was 0-9 last year and 1-3 in the COVID spring ball.
                        Covid spring ball didn't count. Only to Greeneville Middle school, I mean Tusculum.

Comment

Originally posted by MilSF View Post

Wow. I hadn’t realized it was only a subset of the coaches who got to vote. Is it based on seniority or something? I can see not particularly wanting coaches who have never been associated with DII voting their first year, but I’m curious why only 30.
                          No idea what the criteria is. You can see the list of voters by going to https://www.afca.com/polls/ and then scrolling down to the D-II poll and clicking on the "Poll Notes" header:

2022 AFCA DII Coaches Poll Voters:
                          Mike Babcock, McKendree; Robert Clardy, Southwest Baptist; Jim Clements, Kutztown; Shannon Currier, Concordia-St. Paul; Jeff Farrington, North Greenville; Rich Freeman, Morehouse; Jeff Girsch, Angelo State; Marcus Hilliard, Elizabeth City State; Todd Hoffner, Minnesota State; Hunter Hughes, West Texas A&M; Chris Jensen, Oklahoma Baptist; Teddy Keaton, Allen; Jay Long, Chadron State; Shawn Lutz, Slippery Rock; Josh Lynn, Nebraska-Kearney; Scott Maxfield, Henderson State; Andy McKenzie, Assumption; Matt Mitchell, Grand Valley State; Keith Otterbein, Hillsdale; Lee Owens, Ashland; Alvin Parker, Virginia Union; Chris Pincince, New Haven; Joe Reich, Wingate; Craig Schurig, Washburn; Pete Shinnick, West Florida; Roger Waialae, West Liberty; Curtis Walker, Catawba; Paul Winters, Wayne State (Mich.); Jason Woodman, Fairmont State; John Wristen, Colorado State-Pueblo

Keep in mind probably very few of these coaches actually do the voting. I would venture a guess that at least 25 out of the 30, probably more, are done by the sports information person at the school.

I don't believe it is by seniority, at least on a quick spotcheck in FBS. Marcus Freeman, first-year head coach at Notre Dame is a voter, but not Jim Harbaugh at Michigan.

Comment

No idea what the criteria is. You can see the list of voters by going to https://www.afca.com/polls/ and then scrolling down to the D-II poll and clicking on the "Poll Notes" header:

2022 AFCA DII Coaches Poll Voters:
                            Mike Babcock, McKendree; Robert Clardy, Southwest Baptist; Jim Clements, Kutztown; Shannon Currier, Concordia-St. Paul; Jeff Farrington, North Greenville; Rich Freeman, Morehouse; Jeff Girsch, Angelo State; Marcus Hilliard, Elizabeth City State; Todd Hoffner, Minnesota State; Hunter Hughes, West Texas A&M; Chris Jensen, Oklahoma Baptist; Teddy Keaton, Allen; Jay Long, Chadron State; Shawn Lutz, Slippery Rock; Josh Lynn, Nebraska-Kearney; Scott Maxfield, Henderson State; Andy McKenzie, Assumption; Matt Mitchell, Grand Valley State; Keith Otterbein, Hillsdale; Lee Owens, Ashland; Alvin Parker, Virginia Union; Chris Pincince, New Haven; Joe Reich, Wingate; Craig Schurig, Washburn; Pete Shinnick, West Florida; Roger Waialae, West Liberty; Curtis Walker, Catawba; Paul Winters, Wayne State (Mich.); Jason Woodman, Fairmont State; John Wristen, Colorado State-Pueblo

Keep in mind probably very few of these coaches actually do the voting. I would venture a guess that at least 25 out of the 30, probably more, are done by the sports information person at the school.

I don't believe it is by seniority, at least on a quick spotcheck in FBS. Marcus Freeman, first-year head coach at Notre Dame is a voter, but not Jim Harbaugh at Michigan.
                            No doubt it's not the coaches voting, they are plenty busy with their own teams... even more so if they are playing an away game and have all of that travel back to home before getting started on "next week" on Sunday. I also agree with the sentiment that SID's are not watching a lot of games or really well informed on teams outside of their conference, or certainly their region. So, if you win you fill holes above you, if you lose you drop down.

Comment

I could be wrong but I’m pretty a initial “Pool” of voters is “volunteer” based and then from that base the voters are selected. Now what that “selection” process is, I have no idea. Looking at the names I wonder if it’s correlated at all to who has served in other capacities (i.e. NCAA site reps, selection committee, exc.) because I recognize a lot of names on that list that have done or are currently doing that as well.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X