18t. Colorado School of Mines (5-2)
    20. Indianapolis (5-1)
    21. Augustana (6-1)
    22. Davenport (6-0)
    23. Harding (5-2)
    24. Saginaw Valley State (5-2)
    25. West Georgia (4-2)

Others Receiving Votes
    New Haven, Albany State, Wingate, Emporia State, Notre Dame, Truman State, Henderson State, Central Oklahoma, Nebraska-Kearney, Concord

None of this makes any sense lol.

First off, just based on the eye test alone, which I know nobody uses, but it is clear that Ferris is still the #2 team in the country, possibly #3 at the worst. But I'll give that a pass because it's just common practice to drop a losing team more than 1 or 2 spots.

Second, let's go through why very little of this poll makes sense at all.

Kingsville moved from 20 to 15 by barely scraping by, 13-10, over a 3-3 UT Permian Basin team. I understand Kingsville is undefeated, so they deserve it. But why did they move up the same number of spots for beating a 3-3 UTPB team as #18 Benedict, also undefeated, moved up for beating #21 Albany State?

Meanwhile, Saginaw Valley, whose only two losses this year were close games against the #1 and should-be-#3-at-worst-but-is-now-#7 team in the country, moved up to #24 after blowing out #8 Indianapolis, who fell to #20. And Saginaw Valley is #24, ranked just behind #23 Harding, whose two losses have come at the hands of #4 Ouachita Baptist and unranked Henderson State. Compare that to SV's two losses being to #1 and #7. That's not even mentioning that SV's best win, over a #8 Indianapolis, easily trumps Harding's best win, over....what, 5-2, unranked East Central?

Anyway, this poll just further proves why the AFCA poll is a joke. Nobody who votes in this poll actually watches any games. They just look at records and scores and have no ability to comprehend what their own precedent is.
    Last edited by KleShreen; 10-17-2022, 03:09 PM.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Ferris at #7 after losing by one to GV, eh? That’s just like, uh, their opinion, man.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
        None of this makes any sense lol.

First off, just based on the eye test alone, which I know nobody uses, but it is clear that Ferris is still the #2 team in the country, possibly #3 at the worst. But I'll give that a pass because it's just common practice to drop a losing team more than 1 or 2 spots.

Second, let's go through why very little of this poll makes sense at all.

Kingsville moved from 20 to 15 by barely scraping by, 13-10, over a 3-3 UT Permian Basin team. I understand Kingsville is undefeated, so they deserve it. But why did they move up the same number of spots for beating a 3-3 UTPB team as #18 Benedict, also undefeated, moved up for beating #21 Albany State?

Meanwhile, Saginaw Valley, whose only two losses this year were close games against the #1 and should-be-#3-at-worst-but-is-now-#7 team in the country, moved up to #24 after blowing out #8 Indianapolis, who fell to #20. And Saginaw Valley is #24, ranked just behind #23 Harding, whose two losses have come at the hands of #4 Ouachita Baptist and unranked Henderson State. Compare that to SV's two losses being to #1 and #7. That's not even mentioning that SV's best win, over a #8 Indianapolis, easily trumps Harding's best win, over....what, 5-2, unranked East Central?

Anyway, this poll just further proves why the AFCA poll is a joke. Nobody who votes in this poll actually watches any games. They just look at records and scores and have no ability to comprehend what their own precedent is.
        Coaches polls are always a joke. Even ask the coaches. They have a job to do, they don't want to spend time making rankings. Nobody cares about it, except Nebraska fans in 1997. The coaches just fill it in as fast as possible and get it out of the way. Don't blame the coaches, I wouldn't expect a good poll out of this system.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
        Working...
        X