Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future D2 Members

who do you see in the future becoming members in NCAA D2? Who do you see leaving D2, and where would they go?

There have been rumblings that Talladega College (NAIA) may be interested in restarting a football program. I believe a feasibility study has even been done. Speculation is that restarting football is part of the puzzle to get back into NCAA. Talladega used to be in the SIAC from 1913 to 1941, so you would have to assume that if they were to jump to D2 they would go back to their old conference.

Comment

The rumors I've seen have been about Utica, Nichols, and Jamestown.

Comment

In Feb 22, the President of WVU Tech (NAIA) announced that WVU Tech would be restarting their football program and mentioned that 3 years was their horizon for it happening. No direct indication they would attempt to return to DII but I note that they have tried a couple of times to return after dropping to NAIA.

Comment

There has been a lot of talk about this on the GLIAC forum and around the GLIAC in general. The GLIAC needs to add teams in order to survive. Yes they are arguably by far the best conference this year and that may be sustainable short term but the lack of teams is killing scheduling (in football and in other sports), and there are also the possibilities of GV and maybe others (Ferris?) exploring D1. These are currently leading to a slow death of the GLIAC. If they can gain NCAA admittance (which defiantly isn't a guarantee) Roosevelt will be going the GLIAC in 2024-25. There are a lot of NAIA's in Michigan, Indiana and Illinois, many have been thrown out as rumors for another team to make the jump, but none that seem to be actually doing it any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
            The rumors I've seen have been about Utica, Nichols, and Jamestown.
            NE-10 Could accommodate Utica and Nichols - along with the assumed addition of Post [CT] Might as well add schools now with the anticipated departure of New Haven. Add 3 schools, lose 1 they would get back to a 10 team football conference.

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post
              There have been rumblings that Talladega College (NAIA) may be interested in restarting a football program. I believe a feasibility study has even been done. Speculation is that restarting football is part of the puzzle to get back into NCAA. Talladega used to be in the SIAC from 1913 to 1941, so you would have to assume that if they were to jump to D2 they would go back to their old conference.
              That would be very cool! They already have a marching band that has performed all over!!
              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

id like to see several schools join D1 like GVSU Ferris State Valdosta West Florida West Georgia Uindy New Haven etc but id like to see schools like U of Chicago Illinois Wesleyan Hope etc move to d2

Comment

Originally posted by BigCatcirca73 View Post

NE-10 Could accommodate Utica and Nichols - along with the assumed addition of Post [CT] Might as well add schools now with the anticipated departure of New Haven. Add 3 schools, lose 1 they would get back to a 10 team football conference.
                  is there a rumor going around that Bentley is interested in D1?

Comment

I'd love to see a couple of Wisconsin schools make the jump to D2. But honestly, I don't really want to see many schools move up to D1. We've had a fairly high attrition rate the last 20 years or so. We've had a number of schools come and go, some start the reclassification process to D2 but then abandon it. If say, Grand Valley wants to move up then rather than pull some middling D3 team to fill the void where they become Lincoln Mo level doormats, let's try and bring back a program like, say, Presbyterian or Incarnate Word, or South Alabama. Bring in a school that has been here before and struggled at the upper level but could come in and be competitive.

Comment

I have no knowledge of this at all, but I suspect that both MOBap (NAIA) and Maryville (GLVC), might be interested in filling the D2 football void left by LU, (McKendree wants to fill that void, but Lebanon is actually pretty rural).

MoBap and Maryville campuses are only about 2 miles apart. If I'm the GLVC, I'm courting MoBap to come on as a football playing member, and making sure Maryville knows it as a way to possibly light a fire under their butts to add football.

Again, complete speculation and pulling stuff out of mid air. Those with more knowledge for MBU/MU/GLVC matters feel free to call me out for talking out my arse :)
                      Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by psugorilla View Post
                        I'd love to see a couple of Wisconsin schools make the jump to D2. But honestly, I don't really want to see many schools move up to D1. We've had a fairly high attrition rate the last 20 years or so. We've had a number of schools come and go, some start the reclassification process to D2 but then abandon it. If say, Grand Valley wants to move up then rather than pull some middling D3 team to fill the void where they become Lincoln Mo level doormats, let's try and bring back a program like, say, Presbyterian or Incarnate Word, or South Alabama. Bring in a school that has been here before and struggled at the upper level but could come in and be competitive.
                        Presbyterian yes, but hard to say UIW has "struggled" though. 2nd round of FCS playoffs in 2021 and 7-1 so far in 2022.

Also, South Alabama's only 2 losses are to FBS schools this year so far.

A school like Northern Colorado also fits your description. Playing in the Big Sky is a tough slate.

Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
                          I have no knowledge of this at all, but I suspect that both MOBap (NAIA) and Maryville (GLVC), might be interested in filling the D2 football void left by LU, (McKendree wants to fill that void, but Lebanon is actually pretty rural).

MoBap and Maryville campuses are only about 2 miles apart. If I'm the GLVC, I'm courting MoBap to come on as a football playing member, and making sure Maryville knows it as a way to possibly light a fire under their butts to add football.

Again, complete speculation and pulling stuff out of mid air. Those with more knowledge for MBU/MU/GLVC matters feel free to call me out for talking out my arse :)
                          Worth noting that Maryville is one of 11 schools that have every sport covered by InkblotSports.com except football. The others are Adelphi, Belmont Abbey, Coker, Lander, Lincoln Memorial, Mercy, Molloy, Mount Olive, St. Michael's, and Southern New Hampshire.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevadaman23 View Post

is there a rumor going around that Bentley is interested in D1?
                            I've been around Bentley for 5 years and haven't heard a peep about moving to D1. Hockey is already D1. I'd be surprised if they wanted to move the rest of the programs up to D1 level. They would likely have to upgrade a number of facilities to make that move. Don't think that's in the cards with the school's leadership group.

Comment

Originally posted by BigCatcirca73 View Post

I've been around Bentley for 5 years and haven't heard a peep about moving to D1. Hockey is already D1. I'd be surprised if they wanted to move the rest of the programs up to D1 level. They would likely have to upgrade a number of facilities to make that move. Don't think that's in the cards with the school's leadership group.
                              Makes sense

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X