Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psugorilla View Post
    I'd love to see a couple of Wisconsin schools make the jump to D2. But honestly, I don't really want to see many schools move up to D1. We've had a fairly high attrition rate the last 20 years or so. We've had a number of schools come and go, some start the reclassification process to D2 but then abandon it. If say, Grand Valley wants to move up then rather than pull some middling D3 team to fill the void where they become Lincoln Mo level doormats, let's try and bring back a program like, say, Presbyterian or Incarnate Word, or South Alabama. Bring in a school that has been here before and struggled at the upper level but could come in and be competitive.
    The Wisconsin schools will not make the jump to D2, unfortunately. There is supposedly either an administrative rule, or a state law governing football scholarships provided by the public schools in Wisconsin. Basically, the only public school allowed to offer scholarships is the flagship campus in Madison. No other campus may offer football scholarships. This leaves the options for the other members of the UW system as either staying D3 or moving to D1 and joining the Pioneer football conference. Currently there are only 3 UW campuses that are not D3. UW Green Bay, which to my knowledge never offered football, and UW Milwaukee, which offered football up until the conclusion of the 1974 season, when the sport was dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by Gliac_fan10 View Post
      There has been a lot of talk about this on the GLIAC forum and around the GLIAC in general. The GLIAC needs to add teams in order to survive. Yes they are arguably by far the best conference this year and that may be sustainable short term but the lack of teams is killing scheduling (in football and in other sports), and there are also the possibilities of GV and maybe others (Ferris?) exploring D1. These are currently leading to a slow death of the GLIAC. If they can gain NCAA admittance (which defiantly isn't a guarantee) Roosevelt will be going the GLIAC in 2024-25. There are a lot of NAIA's in Michigan, Indiana and Illinois, many have been thrown out as rumors for another team to make the jump, but none that seem to be actually doing it any time soon.
      Size wise seems like Wayne State University could make the move to DI/FCS. I know their athletic success hasn't been all that great but that really doesn't matter to the division if moving.

Comment

Peronally, I'd love to see Newman University add football. Wichita is in desperate need of a college football program, the high schools are loaded with talent that end up all over.

Comment

There's been some wishful thinking from some Salisbury University alums that I know to "be in the same division with Frostburg again". Haven't heard any rumors of a potential jump. More so just some Salisbury alums wanting to get the cross-state rivalry games with Frostburg back on an even level. None of the guys I talked to about that like the idea of a series with a D2 Frostburg playing a D3 Salisbury.

FWIW one person said a Salisbury jump to D2 could be financially doable. I would need to follow up with them on that.

My only question is what conference would Salisbury's football team be in if the school moved up to D2? Kind of far out from the NE10 footprint. Both the CIAA and PSAC don't need to expand beyond the numbers they currently have. Comparably speaking I think Salisbury would be further away from the WV core of the Mountain East than NDC is.

Comment

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post

The Wisconsin schools will not make the jump to D2, unfortunately. There is supposedly either an administrative rule, or a state law governing football scholarships provided by the public schools in Wisconsin. Basically, the only public school allowed to offer scholarships is the flagship campus in Madison. No other campus may offer football scholarships. This leaves the options for the other members of the UW system as either staying D3 or moving to D1 and joining the Pioneer football conference. Currently there are only 3 UW campuses that are not D3. UW Green Bay, which to my knowledge never offered football, and UW Milwaukee, which offered football up until the conclusion of the 1974 season, when the sport was dropped.
            they really need to change that. honestly that has to be the DUMBEST law or rule but then again we are talking about Wisconsin so nothing shocks me

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post
              There's been some wishful thinking from some Salisbury University alums that I know to "be in the same division with Frostburg again". Haven't heard any rumors of a potential jump. More so just some Salisbury alums wanting to get the cross-state rivalry games with Frostburg back on an even level. None of the guys I talked to about that like the idea of a series with a D2 Frostburg playing a D3 Salisbury.

FWIW one person said a Salisbury jump to D2 could be financially doable. I would need to follow up with them on that.

My only question is what conference would Salisbury's football team be in if the school moved up to D2? Kind of far out from the NE10 footprint. Both the CIAA and PSAC don't need to expand beyond the numbers they currently have. Comparably speaking I think Salisbury would be further away from the WV core of the Mountain East than NDC is.
              It would have to be the PSAC if some of the PASSHE schools start contracting and the conference needs a member to even out the numbers. But Frostburg is ahead in the pecking order if that were to take place. I don't think Salisbury would be interested in the travel that the MEC or NE-10 would require unless they're really committed to D2.

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
                Peronally, I'd love to see Newman University add football. Wichita is in desperate need of a college football program, the high schools are loaded with talent that end up all over.
                As I live in Wichita, I would love to see this happen. Or at the very least, have Friends jump up to D2.
                Granted it won't happen now with the new stadium renovations gearing up, I had a chance to talk to the WSU athletic director a good 10 or 11 years ago shortly after he took over and he was trying to bring football back to WSU then. I was working at Office Depot and he came in to have us print and bind some athletic proposal booklets and restarting Football was one of those proposals.

Comment

Sometimes there are schools that have plenty of money, but seem to be fine where they are at competing in D3 for example. Money isn't an issue at Berry, but they are just fine sitting there.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

It would have to be the PSAC if some of the PASSHE schools start contracting and the conference needs a member to even out the numbers. But Frostburg is ahead in the pecking order if that were to take place. I don't think Salisbury would be interested in the travel that the MEC or NE-10 would require unless they're really committed to D2.
                    Would Frostburg even want to join the PSAC? Have they shown interest in the past?

If the PASSHE schools did actually contract and couldn't get any new members, would they possibly drop Shepherd if it was the only way to even the numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by BigCatcirca73 View Post

NE-10 Could accommodate Utica and Nichols - along with the assumed addition of Post [CT] Might as well add schools now with the anticipated departure of New Haven. Add 3 schools, lose 1 they would get back to a 10 team football conference.
                      Haven't heard about Nichols, but Utica was considering a move up to D2 in order to move their hockey program to D1 (unless I'm misremembering the story).
                      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
                        I have no knowledge of this at all, but I suspect that both MOBap (NAIA) and Maryville (GLVC), might be interested in filling the D2 football void left by LU, (McKendree wants to fill that void, but Lebanon is actually pretty rural).

MoBap and Maryville campuses are only about 2 miles apart. If I'm the GLVC, I'm courting MoBap to come on as a football playing member, and making sure Maryville knows it as a way to possibly light a fire under their butts to add football.

Again, complete speculation and pulling stuff out of mid air. Those with more knowledge for MBU/MU/GLVC matters feel free to call me out for talking out my arse :)
                        I've covered a couple of GLVC football media days at McKendree and I'd say Lebanon, Ill. is "rural" compared to the majority of Metro St. Louis and St. Clair County, but not necessarily "rural" compared to most of "Downstate" Illinois away from Metro STL.

Comment

Salisbury might end up in the CIAA in football as a potential replacement for Chowan if/when Conference Carolinas begins sponsoring football. Now, if Bluefield State ends up getting an invitation to join the CIAA, then you could make an argument for Salisbury to join in (yes, I know Salisbury isn't an HBCU, but that didn't stop the CIAA from inviting Chowan a few years ago) and give Bowie another in-state rival (and, to a lesser extent, Lincoln gets another relatively nearby rival).

Comment

Would Frostburg even want to join the PSAC? Have they shown interest in the past?

If the PASSHE schools did actually contract and couldn't get any new members, would they possibly drop Shepherd if it was the only way to even the numbers?
                            I get a sense of bad blood between the MEC and Shepherd, so I think the PSAC dropping Shepherd would be highly unlikely (if not absolutely stupid). But, crazier things have happened, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

I've covered a couple of GLVC football media days at McKendree and I'd say Lebanon, Ill. is "rural" compared to the majority of Metro St. Louis and St. Clair County, but not necessarily "rural" compared to most of "Downstate" Illinois away from Metro STL.
                              Down state Illinois is generally rural overall though lol.

It's all perspective i suppose. I lived in Mt Vernon for 5 years, and that was considered the "city" for those in the tiny towns around the area that all seemed to work at the tire factory or the warehouse (both of which I worked at). But for me, it was too small lol. I had neighbors I had never met asking me about business of mine that I had no clue how they would've known.
                              Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
                                Newman doesn't belong in the MIAA or D2 so no way should they add football. They need to drop down and join the Bakers and Kansas Wesleyans of the world.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X