Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw a thread today where the guy claimed that the Evergreen State Geoducks, a NAIA school of about 2000 students, could move up to D1. Look into that school and you see that they would have no interest in that at all.

Evergreen State College - Wikipedia

No, I don't believe anything that guy says. He just lists a whole bunch of schools and hopes that one sticks to the wall. Years ago he listed Upper Iowa.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
      I saw a thread today where the guy claimed that the Evergreen State Geoducks, a NAIA school of about 2000 students, could move up to D1. Look into that school and you see that they would have no interest in that at all.

Evergreen State College - Wikipedia

No, I don't believe anything that guy says. He just lists a whole bunch of schools and hopes that one sticks to the wall. Years ago he listed Upper Iowa.
      From what I have seen a lot sports writers have done just as you said, throw mud on the fence and see what sticks. Everything from overhearing an AD on an elevator to something a recruit heard. Unless its official its hard to believe. I do not have time for this but I know money from television is a major reason schools go from D2 to D1. I also know there is a belief that it helps with enrolment. It would be interesting to see if recent D2 to D1 moves or D3 to D2 moves helped with enrolment at all. The Southland conference is a great example where the grass isnt always greener.

Comment

Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

From what I have seen a lot sports writers have done just as you said, throw mud on the fence and see what sticks. Everything from overhearing an AD on an elevator to something a recruit heard. Unless its official its hard to believe. I do not have time for this but I know money from television is a major reason schools go from D2 to D1. I also know there is a belief that it helps with enrolment. It would be interesting to see if recent D2 to D1 moves or D3 to D2 moves helped with enrolment at all. The Southland conference is a great example where the grass isnt always greener.
        I'd be curious to know this as well, but my gut says there is no statistically significant increase in enrollment in almost every case.

I actually read an article a while back about someone who went to a low grade D1 school and their experience, I think they said they went to a basketball game or something once, and everyone on campus was a UNC fan. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
          What is Lincoln CA doing? They had games against Western Oregon, Grand Valley St., Davenport, and Bluefield St. and last year the also played 5 DII games.
          They’re a school of 500 students who thinks they can compete at D2 or D1 (I think they want to be D1) while their players actually pay for the privilege of playing 10 road games a year. I think they need to reconsider whether athletics is a wise decision for that school.

Is Gary Payton still their men’s basketball coach?

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

They’re a school of 500 students who thinks they can compete at D2 or D1 (I think they want to be D1) while their players actually pay for the privilege of playing 10 road games a year. I think they need to reconsider whether athletics is a wise decision for that school.

Is Gary Payton still their men’s basketball coach?
            They've made making the non-refundable $500 deposit process for the roster spot a breeze though (Venmo and CashApp accepted!):

Deposit – Lincoln University Athletics (lincolnuca.edu)

As far as I know, he still is. Odd choice to start a coaching career, but knowing about the school's owner err.... "president," I'm guessing it came with a hefty paycheck for very little work.

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post

Would Frostburg even want to join the PSAC? Have they shown interest in the past?

If the PASSHE schools did actually contract and couldn't get any new members, would they possibly drop Shepherd if it was the only way to even the numbers?
              Shepherd isn't going anywhere. They are a perfect fit in the Pee Sack. We are very happy to have them in our conference.

I fear that one day Mercyhurst and Gannon might decide they want to join the all private school GMAC because it's a better fit in terms of being with the same kind of schools.

They left the GLIAC because the constant travel to Meatchicken was bad for them. However the GMAC is mostly Ohio Centric and their travel would be a little more than traveling to Pee Sack West teams but Pee Sack crossovers for them are brutal. Erie to anywhere in Eastern PA is a long ride.

That would shift Lock Haven back to the Pee Sack West.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Shepherd isn't going anywhere. They are a perfect fit in the Pee Sack. We are very happy to have them in our conference.

I fear that one day Mercyhurst and Gannon might decide they want to join the all private school GMAC because it's a better fit in terms of being with the same kind of schools.

They left the GLIAC because the constant travel to Meatchicken was bad for them. However the GMAC is mostly Ohio Centric and their travel would be a little more than traveling to Pee Sack West teams but Pee Sack crossovers for them are brutal. Erie to anywhere in Eastern PA is a long ride.

That would shift Lock Haven back to the Pee Sack West.
                The question would be: Is the interest from the GMAC towards Gannon/Mercyhurst mutual?

And, yes, replacing Cheyney with Shepherd was one of the best moves the PSAC has ever made.
                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

They've made making the non-refundable $500 deposit process for the roster spot a breeze though (Venmo and CashApp accepted!):

Deposit – Lincoln University Athletics (lincolnuca.edu)

As far as I know, he still is. Odd choice to start a coaching career, but knowing about the school's owner err.... "president," I'm guessing it came with a hefty paycheck for very little work.
                  So, basically, they want to be the collegiate version of Bishop Sycamore. Between that school and "North American University" near Houston, the competition for biggest grifter schools is pretty close.

But, nothing compares to a college in Charleston which calls themselves South Carolina Faith A&M College. Google that one and you'll see what I mean...
                  Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Could some one please explain to me what the real benefit of moving to D1 is for a school? Why do people want to go from being a mid/big size fish in the pond to a tad pole in the pond?

Comment

• Originally posted by BearFan1 View Post
                      Could some one please explain to me what the real benefit of moving to D1 is for a school? Why do people want to go from being a mid/big size fish in the pond to a tad pole in the pond?
                      A lot of schools see it as great marketing for the school, a means to draw and grow enrollment.

Comment

• Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post

A lot of schools see it as great marketing for the school, a means to draw and grow enrollment.
                        Bingo, see St. Peter's from New Jersey in last years NCAA Basketball tournament. Guaranteed there were 100's of DIII, DII AD's chomping at the bit saying that could be us.

Comment

• Originally posted by BearFan1 View Post
                          My guess would be National Men's Tournament money, and TV money if you're in the right conference. I don't think enrollment is affected all that much.

Comment

• There are more positives than negatives in going d1 like getting national exposure. People can't say anything about financial impact negatively affecting them because all schools suffer from that.

Comment

• But in Feb 2023 Talladega U is applying for D2 and the SIAC

Comment

• Texas State University System is expected to vote to approve Sul Ross to move to D2 this week and join LSC

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X