Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UISguy23 View Post
    There are more positives than negatives in going d1 like getting national exposure. People can't say anything about financial impact negatively affecting them because all schools suffer from that.
    There are a lot of D1 schools - most actually, that don't have a national profile.

St. Thomas is one that essentially lost what gave it a national profile when it moved from D3 to D1.

Comment

• Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

So, basically, they want to be the collegiate version of Bishop Sycamore. Between that school and "North American University" near Houston, the competition for biggest grifter schools is pretty close.

But, nothing compares to a college in Charleston which calls themselves South Carolina Faith A&M College. Google that one and you'll see what I mean...
      I'm a self-proclaimed expert on Lincoln University (CA) - at least in the modern era as historical info isn't easy to find. They may have started as a legitimate school, but under their current leadership, they are a scam. I did a whole deep dive into them on the GNAC board shortly after they announced football. They had a run-in with the feds a while back too. Nothing about them passes the smell test.

What's strange is they've duped a lot of people into thinking they are D2. As far as I can tell, they announced themselves as a D2 school (or as playing a D2 schedule) and that's why. They are definitely not members of the NCAA or any D2 conference, yet they said they are - so people believe them.

Here is their campus - a corner bank building in Oakland:

Comment

• Originally posted by BearFan1 View Post
        Could some one please explain to me what the real benefit of moving to D1 is for a school? Why do people want to go from being a mid/big size fish in the pond to a tad pole in the pond?
        For the most part, it's a shot at a one-and-done in the NCAA tournament. It could also be for fundraising, sponsorships, and a hypothetical increase in national profile. Some schools might think it will increase enrollment, but nobody is going to Drake University to watch sports. Only P5 and other big name FBS schools get that advantage realistically.

It makes sense for some schools - those like the Dakota flagships, but many moves upward are a headscratcher to me. Realistically speaking, most sports fans don't know the difference between NDSU and UND - are they really going to care about Lindenwood or UNA?

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

There are a lot of D1 schools - most actually, that don't have a national profile.

St. Thomas is one that essentially lost what gave it a national profile when it moved from D3 to D1.
          They honestly didn't lose that much exposure if they had any at the d3 level. They only exposure they got was getting kicked out for winning to much.

Comment

• I truly believe once St.thomas is eligible for the postseason they are gonna upset some bigger schools. Just like USI or UINDY when they go D1. They simply take more interest in their athletes

Comment

They honestly didn't lose that much exposure if they had any at the d3 level. They only exposure they got was getting kicked out for winning to much.
              Who is UIndy Upsetting? Their cupcake conference?

Comment

I mean, they are the reason College Gameday came to Collegeville. With that rivalry dissolved, neither team has any real claim to fame.

Comment

• Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

So, basically, they want to be the collegiate version of Bishop Sycamore. Between that school and "North American University" near Houston, the competition for biggest grifter schools is pretty close.

But, nothing compares to a college in Charleston which calls themselves South Carolina Faith A&M College. Google that one and you'll see what I mean...

I agree with you ctrabs74. North American University is at least accredited and a member (new as of 2022-2023) of NAIA (https://www.naia.org/general/2021-22...ewMembers_2022).

You are absolutely correct about SC[F]AM. They definitely take the cake as biggest grifter school. Reminds me of the College of Faith schools in NC and AR. Those were a complete joke.
                  Last edited by FormerCrusader#84; 11-15-2022, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I'm a self-proclaimed expert on Lincoln University (CA) - at least in the modern era as historical info isn't easy to find. They may have started as a legitimate school, but under their current leadership, they are a scam. I did a whole deep dive into them on the GNAC board shortly after they announced football. They had a run-in with the feds a while back too. Nothing about them passes the smell test.

What's strange is they've duped a lot of people into thinking they are D2. As far as I can tell, they announced themselves as a D2 school (or as playing a D2 schedule) and that's why. They are definitely not members of the NCAA or any D2 conference, yet they said they are - so people believe them.

Here is their campus - a corner bank building in Oakland:

Yep, they tried playing the “we’re big time” angle with their scheduling and then hiring Gary Payton, but I know that last year they would have different lineups seemingly every game and some players played on both sides of the ball. I think the players even pay for the privilege of playing all road games too.

No affiliation with even the NAIA, few facilities, and minimal enrollment. Sadly, too many schools that do this exist (VUL, Ft. Lauderdale are similar) and it isn’t good to the athletes. Looks like a money grab to me, but I could be wrong.

I covered two of their games last year against GNAC schools, and the Central Washington game actually upset me when I had to write the recap of it. CWU took knees on offense for the entire fourth quarter and still won 92-0.

I would bet there are community colleges who have a better chance against a decent D2 team than Lincoln.
                    Last edited by cwfenn; 11-15-2022, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I truly believe once St.thomas is eligible for the postseason they are gonna upset some bigger schools. Just like USI or UINDY when they go D1. They simply take more interest in their athletes
                      I not a St. Thomas fan, but I can't disagree with you. They've got a solid program.
                      Last edited by crixus; 11-19-2022, 06:47 AM.

Comment

I truly believe once St.thomas is eligible for the postseason they are gonna upset some bigger schools. Just like USI or UINDY when they go D1. They simply take more interest in their athletes
                        Back when Mark Dienhart coached football and track at St. Thomas from 1981 to 1986 I read in the Minneapolis Star Tribune in Sid Hartmann's column that St Thomas was thinking about moving to D1 and changing the name to the University of St Paul for nationwide recognition. Well, part of that has come true. The problem that they have is the landlocked campus but if they build the new facilities that they are planning to do, they have great potential. I wish that they were on the west side of the Twin Cities instead......

Comment

• Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

Yep, they tried playing the “we’re big time” angle with their scheduling and then hiring Gary Payton, but I know that last year they would have different lineups seemingly every game and some players played on both sides of the ball. I think the players even pay for the privilege of playing all road games too.

No affiliation with even the NAIA, few facilities, and minimal enrollment. Sadly, too many schools that do this exist (VUL, Ft. Lauderdale are similar) and it isn’t good to the athletes. Looks like a money grab to me, but I could be wrong.

I covered two of their games last year against GNAC schools, and the Central Washington game actually upset me when I had to write the recap of it. CWU took knees on offense for the entire fourth quarter and still won 92-0.

I would bet there are community colleges who have a better chance against a decent D2 team than Lincoln.
                          It's a strange one because on paper, they are technically a legitimate school - they do have accreditation (last I checked anyway). It seems like since they are so small, they fly under the radar.

I remember reading their "president" had all kinds of lawsuits against him. He's in an interesting business of his own.

Comment

• So are there any legit NAIA, D3 OR JUCO colleges who would have a legit shot at D2?

Comment

• I hear Missouri Baptist mentioned alot

Comment

• Originally posted by cwfenn View Post
                                VUL, at least, is/was affiliated with the USCAA, which is a notch or two below the NAIA and are currently affiliated with the NCCAA, so it's somewhat legitimate (and, they're an HBCU, though not necessarily along the lines of the HBCUs we've become familiar with). Not sure what Fort Lauderdale's bit is as far as a conference goes, but it still appears sketchy.
                                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X