3 Minnesota State Mankato 8-2 8-2
    4 Bemidji State 8-2 8-2
    5 Winona State 8-2 8-2
    6 Wayne State (NE) 8-2 8-2
    7 Sioux Falls 7-3 7-3
    8 Colorado State University Pueblo 7-3 7-2
    9 Minnesota Duluth 7-3 7-3
    10 Augustana (SD) 6-4 6-4

Interesting to see Ferris jump up to #2. I wonder if that's only because they played Davenport, and they'll fall back down after they play Wayne State this week.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

No one is discussing issues like this....I wonder why?
      I know this is all supposed to be based upon numbers, but I am surprised that we are facing a possible scenario that would have a Northwest Missouri State team ranked in the top 10 nationally in both respected polls, not reach the top 7 in their own regional rankings, thus not make the playoffs.....
      Could be time for a redo? (And, I am not talking about just adjusting the regions, the whole system needs to look like FCS where they attempt to get the top teams in regardless of region, and then place them in seeded regions.
      Last edited by Sir Shanks Alot; 11-07-2022, 05:28 PM.

Comment

If Tuskegee beats Benedict in the SIAC championship, could they potentially leapfrog Fort Valley State (who is idle in week 11) and get the 7 seed in SR2?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Shanks Alot View Post
          I know this is all supposed to be based upon numbers, but I am surprised that we are facing a possible scenario that would have a Northwest Missouri State team ranked in the top 10 nationally in both respected polls, not reach the top 7 in their own regional rankings, thus not make the playoffs.....
          Could be time for a redo? (And, I am not talking about just adjusting the regions, the whole system needs to look like FCS where they attempt to get the top teams in regardless of region, and then place them in seeded regions.
          Especially when you have situations like the NSIC right now all but assured of 4 playoff teams, all with at least 2 losses. And they have a chance of getting a fifth team in with 3 losses. Meanwhile, second-place 2-loss teams from the MIAA and GAC may find themselves on the outside looking in.

Comment

Originally posted by loper legionnaire View Post

Especially when you have situations like the NSIC right now all but assured of 4 playoff teams, all with at least 2 losses. And they have a chance of getting a fifth team in with 3 losses. Meanwhile, second-place 2-loss teams from the MIAA and GAC may find themselves on the outside looking in.
            And....in that region they should get in. The other conferences are shaky at best in that region!

Comment

You seem to be exactly right. I cannot understand why they don't pick the best 28 teams, and then afterward group them into four regions. They could even wait to see who the best 28 end up being, and then decide the regions based on fewest travel, regardless of Northeast, west, etc. I don't understand why this is a bad idea. It'd be very cool if somebody went back in time and theoretically did this, and look at what teams and what regions would end up happening with this method.

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post
                If Tuskegee beats Benedict in the SIAC championship, could they potentially leapfrog Fort Valley State (who is idle in week 11) and get the 7 seed in SR2?
                I don't think so since FVSU has the head to head victory of them. However, I'm nowhere close to being an expert on this stuff.

Comment

And....in that region they should get in. The other conferences are shaky at best in that region!
                  Right. More of an indictment on that region being weak and one conference taking advantage of the weakness of the others.

Comment

Originally posted by gsutiger2002 View Post
                    SUPER REGION ONE
                    1 Shepherd 10-0 10-0
                    2 Assumption 7-1 7-1
                    3 Indiana (PA) 8-1 8-1
                    4 Ashland 8-1 8-1
                    5 Slippery Rock 9-1 8-1
                    6 Notre Dame (OH) 8-2 8-2
                    7 Gannon 8-2 8-2
                    8 Concord 8-2 8-2
                    9 New Haven 7-2 7-1
                    10 Kutztown 7-3 7-3
                    SUPER REGION TWO
                    1 Benedict 10-0 10-0
                    2 Delta State 8-1 7-1
                    3 West Florida 7-1 6-1
                    4 Virginia Union 8-1 8-1
                    5 Wingate 8-2 8-2
                    6 Mars Hill 7-1 7-1
                    7 Fort Valley State 8-2 8-2
                    8 Limestone 7-2 7-2
                    9 Tuskegee 8-1 8-1
                    10 West Georgia 7-2 7-2
                    SUPER REGION THREE
                    1 Grand Valley State 9-0 6-0
                    2 Ferris State 7-1 5-1
                    3 Pittsburg State 10-0 10-0
                    4 Ouachita Baptist 10-0 10-0
                    5 Davenport 7-1 7-1
                    6 Truman State 8-1 8-1
                    7 UIndy 7-1 7-1
                    8 Harding 8-2 8-2
                    9 Emporia State 8-2 8-2
                    10 Northwest Missouri State 8-2 8-2
                    SUPER REGION FOUR
                    1 Angelo State 10-0 10-0
                    2 Colorado School of Mines 8-2 8-1
                    3 Minnesota State Mankato 8-2 8-2
                    4 Bemidji State 8-2 8-2
                    5 Winona State 8-2 8-2
                    6 Wayne State (NE) 8-2 8-2
                    7 Sioux Falls 7-3 7-3
                    8 Colorado State University Pueblo 7-3 7-2
                    9 Minnesota Duluth 7-3 7-3
                    10 Augustana (SD) 6-4 6-4
                    I need InkBlot around for this one because I’m totally confused at the criteria at this point. How does a 8 win Newberry with wins over Wingate and LR get unseeded, and a 7 win Mars Hill who’s only quality win is Tusculum, get seeded at 6? I’m very confused, and I’m sure anyone else who predicted this week’s ranking on here is confused as well.

Also, what happens to an idle Fort Valley this Saturday, and Limestone vs an under .500 opponent?

Comment

Because the top 25 polls don't mean anything. They have no bearing on anything the NCAA does. NW Missouri is ranked in the top 10 because they are a D-II household name over the past 20 years, so people who vote in the polls always give them an extra bump. Certainly you don't believe NW Missouri has performed like a top 10 team in the country this year, right? You're 2-2 against teams over .500, and the teams you did beat who are over .500, you only beat by 4 points and 2 points.

Now, I don't think you'll find anyone here who disagrees with NW Missouri being a better football team than Indianapolis or Truman or Davenport. But that's why the rankings are what they are, because they are only using the numbers. They don't take in to account relative conference strength, especially when you're in a silo scheduling conference. NW Missouri would be in a much better situation if, instead of playing both Lincoln and Northeastern State, they played a decent non-conference game against an over .500 team. The MIAA (and GAC) have nobody to blame but themselves if they end up only getting one team in the playoffs, due to the GLVC and GLIAC both playing good non-conference schedules.

I just want people to understand that neither the AFCA poll or D2 Football poll have any bearing whatsoever on playoff rankings. They mean nothing. They are pointless except for us to converse about them here.
                      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Poles don't Matter. If you really, really want to make the playoffs, DO NOT LOSE!!! If you really want to make the playoffs, only lose one game. If you kinda want to make the playoffs, only lose 2 games. 3 losses?? Well, you're going to need help, or hope that one of the odd bowl games picks you up. As the wise Al Davis said, "Just Win Baby"

Comment

Originally posted by yote_7 View Post

You seem to be exactly right. I cannot understand why they don't pick the best 28 teams, and then afterward group them into four regions. They could even wait to see who the best 28 end up being, and then decide the regions based on fewest travel, regardless of Northeast, west, etc. I don't understand why this is a bad idea. It'd be very cool if somebody went back in time and theoretically did this, and look at what teams and what regions would end up happening with this method.
                          How do you pick the best 28 teams when several conferences don't play any OOC games and very few teams travel across the country to play games against teams outside of their region? It's a bad idea because there is no way to do it that makes it any better than the current playoff format.

Comment

How does Kutztown lose by 19 at home to a 5-4 team and go from unranked to No. 10 in SR1?
                            http://www.indianagazette.com
                            www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Originally posted by yote_7 View Post
                              I cannot understand why they don't pick the best 28 teams
                              Not saying I disagree, but how would you do that?

I think the number of people who know enough about the entire D2 landscape who are objective enough to be legitimately involved in the process could be counted on one hand.
                              http://www.indianagazette.com
                              www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X