Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Ferris is better with Carson Gulker at QB than they are with Mylik Mitchell, IMO. They would be wise to make Gulker the full-time starter.
    Depends. Yes they can run their QB run plays with Gulker, but every time he's in you've basically telegraphed what you're doing. Mylik is decent on outside option runs (if not injured) and a controlled passing game. Our Oline is still developing their pass blocking chops so a mixture of both is needed. Really missing a bell cow RB as our 1-2 are smaller guys who are getting trucked when pass blocking. Probably why they just said forget it and put Taylor at RB to get your best 5 skilled on the field.

Interesting note on Gulker, per TA he only threw something like 8 passes his whole high school career because they ran the straight T. He's got a live arm but is going to take some work on those fundamentals for a few years before he's a real dual threat.

Comment

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post

Depends. Yes they can run their QB run plays with Gulker, but every time he's in you've basically telegraphed what you're doing. Mylik is decent on outside option runs (if not injured) and a controlled passing game. Our Oline is still developing their pass blocking chops so a mixture of both is needed. Really missing a bell cow RB as our 1-2 are smaller guys who are getting trucked when pass blocking. Probably why they just said forget it and put Taylor at RB to get your best 5 skilled on the field.

Interesting note on Gulker, per TA he only threw something like 8 passes his whole high school career because they ran the straight T. He's got a live arm but is going to take some work on those fundamentals for a few years before he's a real dual threat.
      Not surprising, your coach is….stretching the truth. Here’s direct from Gulker’s bio:

Pro-style quarterback who also ran the Wing-T offense … Four-year starter for the Dux … One of the top QB's in West Michigan … Totaled 81 rushes for 556 yards and 11 scores as a junior … Also threw for 665 yards and seven TD's in 2019 … Coached by John Shillito … Four-year letterwinner … Team captain … Ran for nearly 500 yards in a shortened 2020 season with more than 600 yards passing

All that on 8 passes total is pretty, pretty good. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

Not surprising, your coach is….stretching the truth. Here’s direct from Gulker’s bio:

Pro-style quarterback who also ran the Wing-T offense … Four-year starter for the Dux … One of the top QB's in West Michigan … Totaled 81 rushes for 556 yards and 11 scores as a junior … Also threw for 665 yards and seven TD's in 2019 … Coached by John Shillito … Four-year letterwinner … Team captain … Ran for nearly 500 yards in a shortened 2020 season with more than 600 yards passing

All that on 8 passes total is pretty, pretty good. :)
        Wow. VERY Impressive!

Based on these numbers you can infer that he averaged 158 yards per catch in those two years, and at least 7 of the passes were TD's (2019), with the 8th pass that was completed in 2020 was for more than 600 yards!

Comment

Originally posted by texcap View Post

Wow. VERY Impressive!

Based on these numbers you can infer that he averaged 158 yards per catch in those two years, and at least 7 of the passes were TD's (2019), with the 8th pass that was completed in 2020 was for more than 600 yards!
          All with zero incompletions. How did he slip past the big D1 schools?

Comment

There's 10 D2 playoff games happening at this moment and only one of them is competitive lol. Almost like maybe you should actually rank teams by how good they are instead of moving them around to where they'll travel the least, and most likely already lost against whoever they're playing in the first round.
            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

looks like we're going to get a GLIAC-MIAA challenge next weekend in the playoffs. Pity that GVSU and Ferris ain't a little bit closer, and they could stagger the starts so that we could watch both games.

Comment

There's 10 D2 playoff games happening at this moment and only one of them is competitive lol. Almost like maybe you should actually rank teams by how good they are instead of moving them around to where they'll travel the least, and most likely already lost against whoever they're playing in the first round.
                Was thinking the same thing. This 1st round was brutal.

Comment

Shrink to 16. Only answer.

Yes I'm being sarcastic

Comment

Next week the livestream should be from Grand Rapids.

Comment

So I hear you, but doesn't this prove that it's working? It kinda showed that there were 10 teams that were outclassed. If all the same teams were in and the games were close, you'd have the better teams playing the better teams and the worse teams playing the worse. Realistically would Newberry, Henderson, Harding or UWG faired much better?

Comment

Originally posted by GoneBlastin View Post

So I hear you, but doesn't this prove that it's working? It kinda showed that there were 10 teams that were outclassed. If all the same teams were in and the games were close, you'd have the better teams playing the better teams and the worse teams playing the worse. Realistically would Newberry, Henderson, Harding or UWG faired much better?
                        Anyone that knows D2 Football in the South knows that Fayetteville State wouldn’t finish Top 4 in the SAC or GSC. Conference strength needs to be considered.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCorso View Post

Anyone that knows D2 Football in the South knows that Fayetteville State wouldn’t finish Top 4 in the SAC or GSC. Conference strength needs to be considered.
                          Agreed. Fayetteville had no business being in the field, but put Newberry up against Delta and does the game look much different? I don’t think so. Replace Uindy or Davenport with West Georgia and do those games go differently? I don’t think so. My point is that if you’re arguing for the right to get trucked by a top 10 team it’s a pretty lame argument.

Edit: I don’t think Newberry gets a 50-burger hung on them but I don’t think the game is going to be a nail biter.
                          Last edited by GoneBlastin; 11-19-2022, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Harding’s team won Region 3 in 2017. Since then I doubt we would have been in the top 10. This year we shouldn’t have been ranked higher than 25 by the end of the year.

Comment

Agreed. Fayetteville had no business being in the field, but put Newberry up against Delta and does the game look much different? I don’t think so. Replace Uindy or Davenport with West Georgia and do those games go differently? I don’t think so. My point is that if you’re arguing for the right to get trucked by a top 10 team it’s a pretty lame argument.
                              West Georgia beat Delta State by 10 just two weeks ago on DSU’s Homecoming.
                              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

West Georgia beat Delta State by 10 just two weeks ago on DSU’s Homecoming.
                                Thank you.

And nobody including me thought Newberry would stand a chance against West Florida last year and they won. While Newberry’s defense was underwhelming, they had the best back that Delta would of seen this year, and a very explosive offense.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X