Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Championship

Does anyone know who is the home team and who are the visitors?

Congrats to Mines and Ferris, looking forward to going to this game, unreal to see Mines make it this far!!!

Comment

I would assume Ferris is the home team as they were the number one seed. I don’t suppose it matters much on a neutral site though. The only thing that really affects is who wears what color and calls the coin toss.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneBlastin View Post
        I would assume Ferris is the home team as they were the number one seed. I don’t suppose it matters much on a neutral site though. The only thing that really affects is who wears what color and calls the coin toss.
        Trying to figure out where to sit. Tickets are sold based on home vs. visitor 🧐

Comment

Originally posted by Wrecked Again View Post

Trying to figure out where to sit. Tickets are sold based on home vs. visitor 🧐
          Really good point!

Comment

Frustrating as a GV fan seeing this matchup lol.

Mines will have a shot if they do against Ferris what they did against GV in the second half. GV and Ferris are essentially clones of each other this year. Mines' OL isn't going to be able to keep Ferris' defensive front out of their backfield, so they need to run quick-hit pass plays on 3-step drops like they did against GV in the second half.

On defense, it's a matter of getting pressure on Mylik, which Mines should be able to do since Ferris' OL isn't as good as it usually is. Mylik makes bad decisions when he's under pressure. Put a spy on in the middle of the field against him, get pressure on the edges, make the tackle.

Mines' DB's aren't going to be able to stop Ferris' WR's if the defensive front doesn't get pressure. Ferris' WR's are going to absolutely demolish the Mines DB's. Ferris' WR's are better than GV's, and Mines had no answer for GV on the outside receivers. They committed, and this is accurate, about 120 pass interference penalties against GV because they couldn't cover the one decent WR GV had at the time.
            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
              Frustrating as a GV fan seeing this matchup lol.

Mines will have a shot if they do against Ferris what they did against GV in the second half. GV and Ferris are essentially clones of each other this year. Mines' OL isn't going to be able to keep Ferris' defensive front out of their backfield, so they need to run quick-hit pass plays on 3-step drops like they did against GV in the second half.

On defense, it's a matter of getting pressure on Mylik, which Mines should be able to do since Ferris' OL isn't as good as it usually is. Mylik makes bad decisions when he's under pressure. Put a spy on in the middle of the field against him, get pressure on the edges, make the tackle.

Mines' DB's aren't going to be able to stop Ferris' WR's if the defensive front doesn't get pressure. Ferris' WR's are going to absolutely demolish the Mines DB's. Ferris' WR's are better than GV's, and Mines had no answer for GV on the outside receivers. They committed, and this is accurate, about 120 pass interference penalties against GV because they couldn't cover the one decent WR GV had at the time.
              I think this is accurate. I totally agree that Mines’ pass rush is going to have to help the secondary. I do have to say though that it felt like the PI in that game was a bit of early season rust. With the exception of the intentional one that saved the touchdown they were more a function of not getting their heads turned to look at the ball and face guarding the receivers. I think they’ve fixed that. Granted they haven’t seen an athlete like Jahdae Walker since but Pueblo, SDSM and Angelo can sling it a little and they didn’t commit those same penalties against those teams after week 4.

Follow up question: How does the suspension of Ferris’ wide receiver affect that equation?
              Last edited by GoneBlastin; 12-10-2022, 11:01 PM.

Comment

I think this is accurate. I totally agree that Mines’ pass rush is going to have to help the secondary. I do have to say though that it felt like the PI in that game was a bit of early season rust. With the exception of the intentional one that saved the touchdown they were more a function of not getting their heads turned to look at the ball and face guarding the receivers. I think they’ve fixed that. Granted they haven’t seen an athlete like Jahdae Walker since but Pueblo, SDSM and Angelo can sling it a little and they didn’t commit those same penalties against those teams after week 4.

Follow up question: How does the suspension of Ferris’ wide receiver affect that equation?
                From the way I understand it, he should be out for the NC as well. Ferris can appeal it, but they just might drag their feet on it as he was shown on video swinging a helmet.

Comment

Either way, the transitive property says that GVSU should be the NC as we did beat both of these teams already this year.

Comment

I don't think his suspension matters that much. The one area where Ferris operates differently from GV on offense is that Ferris doesn't go downfield with their passes. They're all slants and bubble screens and middle screens. So that might work to Mines' advantage compared to when Mines played GV and GV was just throwing it deep.

However, that advantage might be mitigated in that Ferris' DB's are better than GV's were in week one. GV's DB's grew a lot over the season, but in week one, Mines WR's were doing really well. Ferris' DB's will be better than that. So it might just be an offset of advantages in these two regards.

With that said, given how Ferris' passing attack works, it doesn't take a particular set of special skills to do it. It's a plug-and-play situation, because it isn't that tough to find quick, agile receivers to catch screen passes. That's why I say his suspension doesn't really matter.

I didn't actually watch today's FSU/UWF game, but I'm shocked at the rushing numbers Ferris put up with their actual running back, Marcus Taylor. By far the best game he's had all season. So I don't know what the hell UWF was doing, but Ferris actually using their running back would be a wrinkle.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post

From the way I understand it, he should be out for the NC as well. Ferris can appeal it, but they just might drag their feet on it as he was shown on video swinging a helmet.
                      What might be more interesting is if and when the Ottawa County folks come with charges for him and perhaps a few others. You cant put hands on anyone these days without fear of some charges. Could be interesting but we will have to wait and see what shakes out. I hope that the McInney school districts let the teams use the locker rooms. Ferris did a number on theirs last year too...seems they are good at that. As far as the game goes I think this could be a wild game. Mines 42 Ferris 40.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

What might be more interesting is if and when the Ottawa County folks come with charges for him and perhaps a few others. You cant put hands on anyone these days without fear of some charges. Could be interesting but we will have to wait and see what shakes out. I hope that the McInney school districts let the teams use the locker rooms. Ferris did a number on theirs last year too...seems they are good at that. As far as the game goes I think this could be a wild game. Mines 42 Ferris 40.
                        I like the way you think!!

Comment

I love the thought of new champs! Go Mines!!
                          Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

I'm going to go to game. I Went in 19 and had a great time watching Minnesota state try a late comeback against West Florida. Easy to access facility that is the right size for this game. I Love D 2 football and can't wait to go even though I don't have a dog in the show. And if your really adventurous. The Frisco bowl is 6 Miles away that night. And yes I've considered doing both.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

Just like Ferris coaches and players always getting in trouble, they combine forces to destroy locker rooms that aren't theirs!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X